Death: Friend or Foe?

by Narkissos 86 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

So much of what makes up our lives is also in the animals, sex, ensuing pregnancy, pair bonding to raise the young, sex, old age, death. As well, most mortalities occur while animals are just born or young. This was also the case among humans, in the past.

Perhaps, it would put human death into the bigger context, or develop an empathy for those dying in the animal world. Some species, after they have had sex, just lay down and die. Others, like sardines, gather into huge schools that number into the millions. They are predated by seals, birds, humans, other fish, porpoises, dolphins, sharks and bryde's whale. The schools at times are hunted until they dissapate. Sardines die by the millions, each yr. Yet, if they survive, they can live as long as 25 yrs. Each sardine is a life, which it naturally tries to preserve. A little bit like humans do. *Urp* Guess the sandwich i just ate made me think of that. Sorry, sardines.

S

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Aubrey de Grey argues that extending human life span is a side benefit from combatting pathology resulting from the aging process. "It's not just about life, it's about healthy life."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iYpxRXlboQ

If you don't want to extend life dramatically in the way he envisages I suppose you have to explain exactly what sorts of debilitating and degenrative illnesses you would rather keep even when the technology arrives to prevent and reverse them.

I think your contempt for "risk averse" old people only reveals your own bias, and dare I say, lack of empathy for people who presumably do not view their attempts at longer life as pointless.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    If you don't want to extend life dramatically in the way he envisages I suppose you have to explain exactly what sorts of debilitating degenrative and diseases you would rather keep even when the technology arrives to prevent and reverse them.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

Narkissos,

Can you please enlighten me about what your view is concerning life after death.

Do you believe it ends here, or is there something after?

Judge Dread

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

DD

In Pauls (and Calvin's) view they did die, and on the very day they ate.

I didn't know Paul commented on this particular exegetical issue.

What about the verses about the ressurection I included in my quote 50-55?

I think Paul's view evolved with time and circumstances. In 1 Corinthians 15 he defends (in a not completely satisfying way imo) the general idea of resurrection (although giving it his own spin) before a Greek audience to whom the concept is basically redundant and meaningless. His wording here comes closer to the perspective of individual destiny (especially with the unique use of sômata pneumatika, "spiritual bodies,"plural). Still the notion of change is central: what is sown (flesh and blood, in death) is not what is raised up. Death is not denied. The perspective in Romans and Philippians is different. More Christological than individual. More centered on the eternal mystery of death and life in which Christians already share than on what happens to individuals at death.

PS

One wonders what Christianities view of death would have been if Revelation was NOT accepted as Canon.

I'm not sure what Revelation changes on this topic. What do you think?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Narkissos,

How much more would be enough? What age would we ever accept as the "right age" for us to die?

I don't know yet, which as a reply is not to avoid the point, it is the point.

I think it's a good thing that death just happens when it does (so far!) because if we had to pick the day it would never be today for most of us, no matter how convinced we may be of its objective and even subjective necessity.

But extending human life in the way the "(pseudo?)"-sceintists suggest would presumably not mean picking the day of death. Much longer life spans would result in more people dying accidental deaths. So actually longer life spans could result in greater unpredictability surrounding the time of death. As it is people expect to live to around 80 years old or so and die from some age-related disease, unless something takes them sooner. In an era of longer life spans it may be much harder to attach reasonable general expectations to when your time might be up.

Liked the song, but strangely I didn't perceive the "yet" part. As I heard it, it's the heaven non-party that starts over again, not the real life of difference (that would be the Nietzschean "eternal recurrence").

Maybe you are right. Talk about the party ending and starting over again, "it won't be any different, it will be exactly the same", sounded like recurrence to me. This song resonates a lot with me because in the late 1980s, when my aunt, uncle and cousins were becoming Witnesses, my uncle was a Talking Heads fan who referred to this song as a reason for resisting the Witness narrative about endless life. I remember seemingly endless discussions on the subject, with my dad and others being involved. My aunt, uncle and cousins all became Witnesses in the end - and then drifted away - and yet here I am still.

Enjoyed the poem too. If you can read French you may like Baudelaire's last piece in Les fleurs du mal.

I don't read French sadly, and with my language skills such as they are I think I would need an extended life span to learn any other language, or even this one, well. Someone on another forum is trying to get me to read Baudelaire too - maybe one day.

First, I don't think anybody really comes to terms with death until s/he dies; and what I characterised as selfish was the hypothetical attitude of people who would never get tired of themselves (I doubt they exist, but they would have to in the hypothesis of everlasting life); self-centeredness, or egocentrism, otoh, helps a lot in never learning about oneself.

Well okay but what you wrote before was about the supposed self-centredness of people who "assume they want to live forever", not just the hypothetical person who actually gets there.

One lesson I learnt from Nietzsche (too late in part) is the difference between contempt and disgust. What you haven't had the courage to despise in time you're bound to be disgusted of later. And that may include much of your "self".

But, as you say, your "self" is not a static thing: you can change it as a matter of will, and it is also necessarily changed regardless of our will. Nature, as it is, dictates a cycle of change, and ageing and death are currently part of that cycle. But if we can create a society of change that does not include death, or significantly postpones it, and we can think of new ways of functioning, then why not? You could argue that all life beyond the age of reproduction is redundant. But we like to think we have made ourselves into more than simply machines for reproduction. Why should we not enjoy work, and creative and intellectual pursuits, and friendships, and online debates, for hundreds of years?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I had to edit a lot in that post - mistakes, and extra comments. I thought I would mention it in a separate post because we no longer get the message at the bottom of posts about them having been editted.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    If you don't want to extend life dramatically in the way he envisages I suppose you have to explain exactly what sorts of debilitating and degenrative illnesses you would rather keep even when the technology arrives to prevent and reverse them.

It seems just as certain as "millions now living will never die"...

Well, maybe the global ecosystem will find its own way to maintain balance if Jehovah is not quick enough to prevent Adam from reaching the tree of life this time. We might see interesting wars between the young, poor, low-life-expectancy populations and the old, rich immortals -- desire against power in sum; suicide epidemies among the latter (that will be forbidden of course, but all the more attractive). Either that, or the "last generation" will have the privilege of staring at each other down to the end of the solar system, and perhaps find some new ways to further their unique set of genes and multi-lifted faces in the meantime.

I think your contempt for "risk averse" old people only reveals your own bias, and dare I say, lack of empathy for people who presumably do not view their attempts at longer life as pointless.

At least you don't want me to live forever, do you?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

JudgeDread

Can you please enlighten me about what your view is concerning life after death.
    Do you believe it ends here, or is there something after?

That's a bit off-topic, but in two words (or three): life goes on. "I" am, "I" will have been one of its many forms in space-time. This is no less a "religious" belief than soul survival, resurrection or reincarnation, just the one I can express at this point.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    But, as you say, your "self" is not a static thing: you can change it as a matter of will, and it is also necessarily changed regardless of our will.

As I see it, it has a limited potential for change. Satanus expressed that very well above. Limited and variable flexibility, which decreases with time and realisation -- I for one do not think reed is "good" and oak is "bad," even though the reed survives the storm and the oak doesn't. Reminds me again of the last scene in Bertolucci's 1900. The two old characters, weary of their old discussions, playing their children game of laying on the railroad as the train approaches -- to death this time, and the kids get up and laugh. Nothing like real children to see the world with children's eyes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit