Creation - struggling

by wantstoleave 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

missinglink

What a load of bollocks!

What you're doing there is "god of the gaps". If you don't understand something, then you just plug in "god" the same way people used to for things we understand now ("movement" of the sun, the wind, etc..). When someone tells you they have all the answers (usually the answer is their religion), that should set off alarm bells. For a more realistic world view you have to accept that there are things we just will not know in our lifetime, and do our best to find those answers, for real.

I quite like the idea of a God of the Gaps. I recently learned that the greek word xaos (chaos) means yawning gap. In english chaos can mean disorder. Putting the 2 thoughts together - yawning gap and disorder - suggests an area for thinking creatively outside the box in an "unordered" untamed area. I would worship a God of this nature but I wouldn't let him plug the gap.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Hello, BlueCanary. I don't think your thoughts are relevant (please excuse my language, being a foreigner), because your reasoning is making God a man like us, that is he cannot have done this or that because we do not. I think he is so very different from us that our trying to rationalise him or saying he could not have done this or that - is just in vain, pointless.

I once learned that TIME is limited to matter, that without matter there is no time, so therefore one cannot say (as does also the WT) that God was alone in ages before he started creating, because before the first act of creation TIME was not. But maybe the last few years have brought "new light" to the understanding of time.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

ql,

I couldn't agree more: an unknown god (or even God: theos agnôstos) means an open world.

The main difference here is not between theism and atheism, but between embracing or denying the mystery as such -- both attitudes being possible whether you use the word "God" or not.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Narkissos do you mean that mystery is at the heart of both atittudes - inotherwords mystery can be jumping of points or dives into

in this sense, wantstoleave, struggling will give you muscles and new strength to do either and/or both as often as you wish

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

I believe In God because of the nature of our consciousness. Our consciousness is apparently the result of the electrical rhythms within our brain. The universe is composed entirely of energy. Is it inconceivable that the dynamic fluid energy of the universe, given enough time, couldn’t, by sheer chance, replicate a pattern of energy similar to that which creates consciousness within our own mind? To me this seems more plausible than our consciousness arising first from energy in the form of lifeless matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit