My G'Daughter Is a Latch-key Kid

by snowbird 13 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

She's eleven, and rides the bus to and from school.

I used to have a van pick her up and drop her off, but the expense was too much.

She walks to and from the bus stop with the kids next door. They are very good to her - they wait until she gets inside our house before they go into theirs. When our cat escapes, they help round her up.

Today, she forgot her key, and their mama called me and let me know she'll be staying at her house until I get off work.

Mama will be giving her something to eat, right along with her kids. They are very good people.

I make sure that we treat her and her kids the same way. It works out beautifully.

Sylvia

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

That's so nice, they will probably be friends forever. We often have a few extra kids at our house and the pleasure is all mine.

• AGuest
    AGuest

I mean, are they "worldly," dear Snowbird (and peace to you!), those kids and their mama? 'Cause if they are, then you're either lying... or delusional. Because "worldly" people don't do things like that. They can't. They're, well, worldly. And everyone KNOWS that it's only Jehovah's Witnesses (who depict and therefore have replaced God's ancient Israel as God's chosen people)... who can "do good."

(Whispering) Although, there IS that story about the "worldly" Good Samaritan [Man]... and the "chosen" [Jew/Levite] who stepped over their own brother lying close to dead in the road... and the fact that Jehovah's Witnesses pretty much only "do good" to their own... if even then. Matthew 5:46, 47

Thnigs that make you go, "Hmmmm"...

Peace to you, dear one!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA, of the Mother-of-a-former-latch-key-kid-who-very-often-relied-on-very-nice-"worldly"-people... and-their-children... to-make-sure-my-child-was-safely-home-after-school Class

• John Doe
    John Doe

I had to look that one up. I thought you were talking about some kind of illness.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I mean, are they "worldly," dear Snowbird (and peace to you!), those kids and their mama?

Hi, AGuest. May you have peace, also.

Yes, they are - as "worldly" as they come! That is what made me write about it. They are a family of 11, but still make room for one more!

As far as I know, none attend any religious services, but you couldn't find a finer family anywhere else.

Now, the lady down the road goes to church every Sunday, but never lifts a hand or volunteers to help anyone out. When she picks up her grandkids, and they go inside and close the door behind them, that's it. These are the things that make most people go, hmmm ...

John Doe, weren't you a latchkey kid?

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe

No.

• snowbird
    snowbird

NoMoreKool-Aid, that's so generous of you to watch out for the little ones.

May blessings and peace continue your way.

Sylvia

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I had to look that up too!

I was a latchkey kid at times!!

• snowbird
    snowbird
    No.

Alrighty, then.

BabyGirl, I never was. Back in the day, women stayed at home until the kids were able to take care of themselves. My mother was always there when my two daughters were in school.

I'm so thankful for our neighbor.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

We've come a long way!

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit