What do you think the Dateline show will do?

by Mulan 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

It's true that many JWs are not there because of any logical reasoning (let's face it, you couldn't be) so it's true that even though it's easy to 'proove' that the WTS is wrong it is next to impossible to proove it to a JW simply because they have been taught not to listen and reason.

It is based on religion and the notion of spiritual paradise, family values and other such stuff.

I think for all the clever debates and research, what helps people to leave are the personal stories of mistreatment, injustice etc... which show that the society cannot be directed by god. Once people are on the exit ramp they then start to research things and confirm things with reason etc...

I think the dateline show will make a lot of people open their eyes to the fact that there ain't no spiritual paradise like they have been told. The congregations are a quagmire of corruption and everything is all about looking good rather than being good.

And even if no one leaves the fact that the WTS will be forced to change and actually help or protect young children can only be a good thing.

Of course the only ones still wanting to join will be child molesters and they should all be immediately locked up by the police

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

It's certainly an interesting question raised by Mulan.

I guess I've been around too long but I fear the worst but hope for the best i.e. I suspect it will have very little effect on the R&F. I hasten to add that I'm a born pessimist. Blame it on the Watchtower!

But we've seen other controversies come and go and still the general Witness population continues to accept the WTS as "God's organisation".

Recently we had the controversy over the WTS membership of the UN as an NGO. I copied off Stephen Bates' two articles as well as the UN statement confirmong the WTS 'dis-assocation' from the UN. I distributed these as a little 'package' to close friends and family. The effect? Nothing. Blank faces. Shrugged shoulders. It was hard to fathom how such damning evidence could wash over them with no response. But it did. Maybe it's just the Australian-ness of us here, maybe it's because we're too far away, but no-one seemed in the least excited.

As far as the Dateline program, I've asked for a tape of the program with the intention of having a viewing in Sydney for interested ones. I certainly hope it opens the eyees of many who are still undecided or sitting on the fence. There are many such of these here in Australia.

I accept Simon's comment:

I think for all the clever debates and research, what helps people to leave are the personal stories of mistreatment, injustice etc... which show that the society cannot be directed by god. Once people are on the exit ramp they then start to research things and confirm things with reason etc...
    Whether the program opens the eyes of many remains to be seen. Here's hoping.

I think it also needs to be considered as to whether the Watchtower is reformable. Indeed, do we want it to be? Many contributing on this board still seem to hold out hope of there being a reformed Watchtower Society. There are others, of course, who do not foresee that happening and have 'moved on' with their lives. It seems to me that our anticipation for this program is 'colored' by our personal desires in this regard.

For the record, (not that I think my opinion matters one bit to the WTS), I don't believe it's reformable, nor for that matter do I care to see it reformed. No matter what changes are made they will be cosmetic. It will still be a man-made organisation standing in the place of Jesus Christ. For that it must be condemned as a blasphemy.

Nonetheless, I wish well to all those striving to expose the heinous practices of the Watchtower's judicial practices. Too many lives, too many sorrows, too much heartache. God bless Bill Bowen.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."

Anonymous

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

The only ones that I think the Dateline program will affect are the ones who have been silent lambs themselves. If I had been abused by an elder, MS or even a publisher still in good standing and saw the promo for the upcoming show, I would definitely tune in. If they are still hanging on to the notion that it is the truth and see that their's is not an isolated incident, then I think it will at least move them to see what else is wrong with the organization.

I had high hopes that the UN thing would open the eyes of some of my family members, but of the ones that do know about it, they swallowed the library card excuse hook, line and sinker. But, I would have too several years ago. Fortunately, our brains are like computers and when enough evidence saturates our brains, eventually we hit overload. At lease it was that way for me. We all have different saturation points, we can only tolerate so much bullshit and then we say "enough!"

As far as reforming the organization goes, it doesn't really matter to me, but if in the near future they would change their policy on shunning, blood and pedophiles, that would be a gigantic improvement. There will always be some of our loved ones that cling to the organization until they die, so a change with the aforementioned issues would help tolerate it.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Prop...why is it that JWs cant get past that little box in their heads that say that everybody is against THEM? And that they never ever say anything negative about anybody else...when thats ALL they ever freakin DO??? Every single magazine ever published by the Society condemns, curses, puts down, criticizes and degrades ALL OTHER RELIGIONS. Do you think for a NANOSECOND they give a shit about collateral damage to anybody?? Give me a freakin break. I AM part of that COLLATERAL DAMAGE. My FAMILY is part of that collateral damage...99% of the people ON THIS BOARD are collateral damage caused by the self righteous, self centered, self important, all mighty, shameless bastards in Brooklyn. Quit whining and OPEN YOUR EYES.

Read CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE by Former Governing Body Member RAY FRANZ

* http://freeminds.org/sales/most_burned.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit