Chronic illness....how do you deal with it now?

by wantstoleave 21 Replies latest watchtower medical

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

For many JW's I know personally, who suffer from chronic illness, the hope of 'the new system' is what they look forward to. You know, being able to throw the cane away, lose the wheelchair, see again etc.

Now that you're out of the organisation, how do you deal with chronic illness? If you suffer with an affliction, disease, impairment, how has your hope changed? Do you now believe in dying and going to heaven? Or do you accept that everyone dies at some point? What comfort do you hold dear?

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Anyone?

• mouthy
    mouthy

I have Rheamatoid Arth. Diabetus ,a resticted esophagus( spelt wrong)
    I am in pain constantly....But I have improved SO much since the WT kicked me out.
    I used to have casts on both wrists, legs wrapped to enable me to walk, ALL discarded
    I sometimes use a cane ( rarely now) But I dont care what God does with me when I
    kick the bucket,I know HE is with me NOW!!! I lay all at the foot of the cross.
    & believe me ( even though I sometimes pick them up again)he does handle them in the end,

I do have to have patience though,something I am very lacking in. I do believe we ALL
    have to die.. my hope is a heavenly one.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Thanks for sharing Mouthy :) So sorry you are in alot of pain :( But I am glad you are happy within yourself, have that contentment and hope for the life after so to speak :)

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

I accept the limits imposed on me by my illness, carefully choose to spend my time, energy on what is most important to me.

I tried to do this as a witness, it was a constant struggle between what others thought I should be doing & I did.

Except for my closest friends & family , people don't know I have a chronic illness. There is not a judgement on me just because I don't do something. I am excepted for who I am, I don't need to make excuses.

I have a postive outlook about my illness now.

I realize there are many people who live their lives & never stop to choose what they want & just go with the flow.

My illness caused me to make choices earlier in life than I think I would have had I been full of good health.

I am healthier now because I take better care of myself. My mental health improved when I left the org. too.

BF

• Spook
    Spook

Some of the "chronic illnesses" which plague JW's are psychosomatic manifestations of depression - which they won't acknowledge or seek treatment for.

There is a huge pay-off for this...those who are ill get off the hook for having to waste their time.

The new system is a solution to a problem of its own making. The world is NOT a terrible, wicked cold and empty place. By enjoying life, many people build the character and attitude to deal with real solutions to real problems. For some, making diet and exercise a priority - or at least dedicating large amounts of their time to adequate therapy and treatment - is all that is required.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I've experienced constant pain from herniated discs in the lower back and resulting nerve damage in the left leg since my mid 20's. When outdoors I usually have to walk with a cane and scoot around on an office chair when spending a lot of time in the kitchen. I refused to have the surgery, because I only had a 33% chance of coming out of it able to walk. I can't use pain medications, because they make me mean. Physical therapy doesn't work.

When faced with such a situation, you have to choose what's important in life and focus your energy there. Then you have to decide not to put a gun in your mouth and be determined to tough it out. You have to decide to live the best way possible. Whether it's spite or pure willpower, I'm determined to live as long as I can and be happy doing it. I don't know, and frankly don't care if there is a heaven or hell. If I'm dead when I die, then so be it! If I get to float around in heaven or reincarnate into another body, that's okay too. It's all good!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Grace

...my hope is a heavenly one.

You have no idea how blessed I am to hear you say that.

• mouthy
    mouthy

What else can I say after you sat for ages teaching me LOL

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

((((((((((((((GRACE)))))))))))))))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit