Prejudice in the Kingdom Hall.

by Joshnaz 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

Have you ever noticed how in the kingdom halls who have a mix of races, you find the whites sit in one area of the kingdom hall, and the blacks have their own section? The District Conventions and Circuit Assemblys too. I've noticed one particular section where there were just black people who made up about 20% of the DC and the rest were white. It was obvious to me about 10-15 years ago, and I was wondering if things kinda have evened out, or if you also noticed the same thing.

• snowbird
    snowbird

At the last KH that I attended there was only a smattering of Whites who always sat at the back.

I didn't notice any unusual seating patterns at the conventions I attended.

Remember, birds of a feather do tend to flock together.

Sylvia

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I have not seen any prejudice in the KH or assemblies in the western U.S. Even in Oakland, CA the KH and assemblies were not segregated and ones did not feel odd because they were a certain race.

Blacks, white, hispanics do not sit in groups at the meetings.

I have heard of such prejudice in the South/Eastern parts of the U.S.

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

The area I was in was Massachesetts and Rhode Island.

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

i will say that there is an even mix where i am currently assigned. i am amazed that some of the white brothers find it ok to tell ethnic jokes to some of the black brothers and everyone laughs. prejudice is prejudice no matter who laughs.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

On this subject, I only have good things to say about the JWs. My experience was very positive.

For more than three years, I was the only white person in a Harlem congregation (Foster, NY Circuit #5).

I was treated most excellently by all.

• cantleave
    cantleave

My experience has always been positive in the UK. No segregation or predudice especially in KH's in cosmopolitan cities such as Birmingham and London.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Positive experience here as well. Except for the fact that the black brothers were permitted to wear Malcolm X skinny ties and have moustache - where the whitey crackers like myself were not.

This does not excuse them for their other wrongs, but I will have to say that they did demonstrate a great deal of racial diversity and tolerance.

• Girlie
    Girlie

In my neck of the woods, there were no unusual seating patterns at any of the meetings, assemblies, DCs. However, I did take note that during the break sessions at the larger meetings, most did tend to cling to their own.

• dissed
    dissed

At Bethel, I didn't experience any racial predudice. But I did notice when people had their free time many would segregate when they messed around.

In my Brooklyn Congregation, everyone got along great.

My dept. overseer would always kid that we needed a Black GB member. Once he teased Br. Booth asking when were we going to get a black GB (I almost fainted) and Booth told him to apply and they laughed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit