Done or not done?

by oscartheduck 5 Replies latest jw friends

• oscartheduck
    oscartheduck

What's more important? What's done or what's not done?

What I'm getting at is, is it more important to impose your views on what is right in the bible, or to encourage other members of your religion?

I remember that my past seems to be more a memory of elders telling people "Oh, that's wrong." Than it is of elders telling people "Hey, I'll work with you on the ministry, and I'll generally try and help you out."

I think you know what I'm getting at. If anyone can phrase it in a more clear way, that'd be a help.

============================
    The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126 "As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible "

• Introspection
    Introspection

Talk is cheap?

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Snootchy bootches!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I doubt this is the answer you were looking for, but I think balance to everything is the key. Everything I was taught as a JW was unbalanced, extreme. I've had to work very hard to undo the thought patterns and behaviors that create an unbalanced mindset/lifestyle. It is definitely hard work, but much more rewarding than killing myself for someone/thing that doesn't have anything to do with my relationship with God.

Andi

• Gopher
    Gopher

Oscar,

I think maybe you're trying to say, it's easier to criticize (nitpick)than it is to be helpful. To really help someone, you have to be thoughtful and considerate of a person's overall circumstances. And then you must think carefully about how to approach someone with an offer to help.

So yeah, in the congregation, it is much easier to be self-righteous and say "you're wrong" for doing this or that. I think it's human nature, simply aggravated by the tense, critical atmosphere inside the spiritual non-paradise of the JW's.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Introspection
    Introspection

But.. Jeff.. You're wrong.

Seriously, this is why I think it's kind of iffy to be giving people advice and generally talk or say too much. It's not a small thing to be sizing up a person with all of their life history, and say just the right thing for that point in their life. The other side of it too, of course, is that it is their life. I think you're pretty safe though if you're realistic about what or who you think you know, including yourself.. Speaking of which, have you seen this link? http://www.cultdeadcow.com/cDc_files/cDc-0317.txt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit