Christians explain? Jews never believed in a Trinity even today so how/when did it start?

by Witness 007 148 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Jews for thousands of years have believed in their "One God" so I always wondered if in Jesus time this was the view, how and when did the Trinity start? Did Jesus start it off? Are you saying Jews WERE Trinitarian? Todays Jews {and Muslims} strictly follow the beliefs of their ancestors so whats the view?

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

For the most part they didn't know God was triune in nature, but evidence was even found in the OT. Christians believe in the same one God and are purely monotheistic. They just have a better understanding of His nature as the light got brighter and Christ revealed this triune nature. The Trinity has always been (immanent Trinity) prior to creation and took on a salvific form with economic trinity. Early Christians were not as aware as they are today. The fact that the Jews didn't know of the triune nature would not be surprising as they didn't believe Christ was the Messiah either.

This explains it better.

http://www.144000.110mb.com/trinity/index-4.html#17

See also:

Immanent Trinity versus economic Trinity; God in Himself and God for us.

• yknot
    yknot

Trinity didn't become Trinity until 381......

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    Trinity didn't become Trinity until 381......

It didn't have that label, perhaps, or was articulated as such, but the triune God has always been and always will be.

Immanent Trinity versus economic Trinity; God in Himself and God for us.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Witness 007,

It is true that Orthodox Jews don't believe in the Trinity. This is clearly illustrated in the New Testament where the Jews wanted to kill Jesus because He "being a mere man, makes Himself God."

• garyneal
    garyneal

Witness 007,

Concerning the Muslims, they too don't believe in the Trinity and believe that the apostle Paul (who argued Christ's Deity) introduced that heretical teaching into the early church and influenced even the writers of the fours gospels.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Just my opinion on this. The term "trinity" is a human effort to understand something beyond our comprehension, the nature of God. The term arose out of an attempt to reconcile statements that Jesus was God and at the same time a man.

A scientific analogy might be the use of terms like "quark" and "wavicle" in physics to attach a name to complex mathematical constructs.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Similar to the evidence that all photons (light) and ordinary matter are considered particle but have wavelength too. Difficult to understand but the scientific evidence supports this (the electron microscope was the result of the idea that electrons have wavelength just like photons).

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

JeffT,

I agree.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Faith plays a role. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't know the details of how my spirit and flesh are joined together, but I know i exist.

The Trinity doctrine is strongly supported by logic and biblical consistency.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit