I dont remember the date I was baptized....

by flower 20 Replies latest jw friends

• flower
    flower

you know how at every baptismal talk they say to the candidates that they should 'make a note of this date June, 4 whatever..ect'? and everyone knows that date for like the rest of their life?

well i dont remember when i was baptized. i never never made a note of it and simply forgot over time. i know i was when i was around 17 or 18. being born in the org it there always came a point where you had to get baptized or there was something wrong with you. for most of us it was around the time we graduated from hs that we felt we couldnt hold out anymore without getting questioned as to why we werent baptized yet so we did it. i never understood what they meant though when they said we were supposed to have some kind of personal relationship with Jehovah in which we were to give ourselves over to him (i cant remember what they called that first step). i never felt anything special when i decided to get baptized. i just memorized the answers to the questions they ask and did it.

anyway, i cant for the life of me remember the date or year. but one thing is for sure Dec 25 2001 is a date that i will not likely ever forget. its the date i found this site. its the date i realized that there is hope for me and my son. its the date i began my healing and it was one of the, if not 'the' happiest day of my life.

flower

• Mum
    Mum

Welcome, flower! I can't remember my baptism date either. Now if only I could forget those wedding anniversary dates!

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Flower,

I'm happy for you I hope you find information that helps you heal.
    I wrote my Bap. date in my organization book 11/4/72.
    Wasted 29 years following men.
    Not a total waste but a huge waste of time and energy non the less.

Keep on seeking and keep on looking is my advise to you, and don't let others make up your mind for you.
    I hope you enjoy your freedom.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Don't forget to read Raymound Franz' two books and hang on!

• JBean
    JBean

Welcome FLower! You'll surely find assistance and support on this board. I can't for the life of me remember the date of my baptism either (go figure!) : ) But I do know, that like you, I was approx. 18 years old... which puts the year at 1978. Now, here's the kicker: can anyone help with the year that they changed the 2 questions asked of candidates? 'Cos I think I was baptised before that... with God's holy spirit VERSUS "God's spirit directed organization". This could be important for many folks if they reach a point where they might be disfellowshipped... pledging to the org. vs. God might be an important point. Can anyone help? Jbean

• badwillie
    badwillie

Hi Flower,
    Congratulations on your "outing" from the cult!
    The date I will remember is Sept 22, 2001 (my son's 1st birthday, also the date I drove down to the U of Penn bookstore and bought Franz's book - Crisis of Conscience). I am now 3 months into my exodus and I can tell you things will start making more sense soon enough. Nice to meet you anyway, and welcome. How old are you rboys by the way? I loved the pics!
    - BadWillie.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Flower, I am so happy you have found this place and are starting your healing. Besides Ray's books, read some of Scot Peck's books; Road Less Traveled, People of the Lie, for starters. I know you will enjoy yourself here. It's great not to feel alone in the world. Lots of great people here who are willing to listen. j2bf

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Flower,

Welcome! I hope you learn and heal a lot on this board. I've done both just in the 6 months I've been here.

Yanno...I can't remember my baptism date either. I was in high school and I think I was 16. Years later, I got baptized again because my heart moved me to do so, not because all the cool kids were doing it. I felt like since my motive was wrong the first time, it didn't count.

Andi

• flower
    flower

badwillie,

my son is 2 and will be 3 next august. i only have one son the other child on the site is my nephew and i think there is a picture of my neice as well. it been a while since i've updated the site so i dont remember.

i was reading some of the excepts from Brother Franz's book last night as was just amazed and in awe. I cant wait to get the book and read it. i'm in jersey btw, are you in pa?

flower

• TR
    TR

JBean,

I believe the questions were changed in the summer of '85. I was baptized under the new rules in Oct. of '85, not that it matters to me, though.

TR

I'm gonna make mince meat outta that Osama!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit