Back at the meetings for the past couple of weeks...

by PrimateDave 23 Replies latest jw friends

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Well, I made my move from Puerto Rico and have been staying with JW family for a few weeks now. Needless to say, they are as "into it" as ever before. They started pioneering the first of September. I've been going to the meetings with them because they asked me to, and I decided to be nice about it. At first I was also invited to read along with them in their daily Bible reading, so I went along with that too.

Unfortunately, I've just about reached the limits of my tolerance for The Truth TM . I called up a non Witness friend of mine in another state, and I'm going to visit with him for a bit. I'm not too sure what I want to do after that though. As much as I love my family, life is just too short to spend dealing with the effects of this cult on a daily basis.

Dave

• feenx
    feenx

wow...I can't believe you're still cohesively communicating after meetings and daily bible reading. So, good job on that front! YAY for tolerance. Sounds like the time spent with your friend will be much needed and enjoyed. What do you want to do after? Anywhere you wanna go?

• beksbks
    beksbks

Ack!! Dave! Please get out of there quick!

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Thanks for the replies, yall! Actually, I did have a minor confrontation with them just over a week ago after the Sunday meeting. I don't exactly remember why, but I was in a bad mood. I think it may have started with something that was said before the meeting. There was some comment made on a television program about Evolution that morning, and my relative made some negative remark about that. They, of course, think that Evolution is a bunch of hogwash, nevermind the fact that all they know of it comes straight from the Society's publications. I didn't say anything at that time in response. (AND the point of this thread is NOT to discuss Evolution or Creation. Thank you! )

So, I went to the meeting with them. I literally couldn't wait to get out of the hall after the final song and prayer. When we got home, they asked me what was bothering me; why I was so quiet. They could tell I was not in a good mood. So, against my better judgement, I opened up a little. I started out by asking how they can berate Evolution without knowing anything about it, and the Society's books don't count in that regard because they're obviously biased. I insinuated that the Global Flood of Noah never happened because there is no evidence for it in ice cores and tree rings. I brought up the myth of the Tower of Babel. Why would God be so afraid of men building a tower to reach his throne? I started to ramble a bit. Why do the accounts of Jesus birth in Matthew and Luke contradict each other? Weren't the Patriarchs and Israelites just as pagan as their Canaanite neighbors? I came right out and told them that there will be no solution for mankind's problems, no Kingdom, no Armageddon, no Paradise, no Everlasting Life; that I fully expect to die in this old world and that they would too. And then I shut up because I knew it wasn't having a beneficial effect for any of us. They are happy with what they believe, and nothing I say will change that.

Speaking of meetings, I have found the discussion of sexuality at the CBS thoroughly disgusting, especially the part on masturbation this past week. If I were a parent I would not have allowed my children to be present. Closely related to this was the discussion of Balaam both in the CBS and the WBR. No one, it seems, can see the apparent contradiction between the Balaam of Numbers 22-24 and the way he is portrayed in the rest of the Bible, nor could they give a scolarly explanation of why that contradiction exists. There is absolutely no scholarly examination of the Bible whatsoever in congregation meetings. WTS talking points seem to solely revolve around simplistic and guilt inducing stories. Of course, I already knew that to be the case, but having been inactive for over three years, it really hit me just how cult-like the meetings really are. BTW, you can Google "leolaia" and "balaam" for some good material about Balaam.

Dave

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Dave,

Stop with the "independent thinking" already! Your bad mood is caused by not following the Faithful and Discreet Slave Class. And the "celebrated JW scholars" are plenty scholarful!

{barf

cultspeak... it's the new bulima

B the X

• feenx
    feenx

oh GAWD. frickin JW's and masturbation. You know they only difference between them and apes is a little less hair. The apes actually might have a few one-ups on them intelligence wise, and they don't throw a fuss about animals gettin frisky with themselves. Good lord, we're all animals. Maybe the GB members should rub a few out and effing relax. bastards.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Seriously, get out of there...go stay with your "worldly" friend. I can't imagine how awful this has been for you. Take care, and good luck.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They could tell I was not in a good mood. So, against my better judgement, I opened up a little.

You did not. You opened up A LOT. Sounds like you are not going to be able to maintain the meetings/Bible readings with them.
    Either that, or you are going to explode every once in awhile.

Strenght to you either way.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Seriously, I don't think I could endure a JW meeting of ANY kind at this point. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Make excuses or tell it like it is, your choice, but don't go back if you don't want to explode!

• shamus100
    shamus100

Normalizing a cult with your family has got to be pretty awful to say the least.

Oh well - get the hell out while you can.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit