The Beatles - Remastered

by lepermessiah 39 Replies latest social entertainment

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Has anyone picked those up? I am really curious to hear the discs. The reviews have been excellent!

• wobble
    wobble

I was a fan in 1963/4 but they don't really do much for me now I have matured (for that read turned in to a grumpy old git)

the one thing I hate is the X-box "game" , what kind of sad wanker wants to join in on Beatles songs ?

Love

Wobble (as he takes cover behind a very thick wall !)

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I downloaded a torrent of it. They've really cleaned up the individual parts. You can hear things so much more clearly now. Paul's bass in particular has new power!

As far as only being a fan early on, it seems to me if you had stuck with the band you'd know they matured, too. Their best work came after '63-64.

• flipper
    flipper

JIMMY PAGE- I agree. I believe on the board that the poster Just Human and myself are about the biggest Beatles fans here. I too feel McCartney was an astounding bass player and my favorite Beatles albums were post 1966. Love the White album and Abbey Road. A couple of my favorites ! Look forward to hearing this remastered stuff ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I can't wait to listen to it, but I admit my musical ear is poor.

BTW has anyone read the Rolling Stones article on the breakup of the Beatles? It came out a couple of weeks ago. They kind of put an interesting spin to the whole thing.

BTW on this same page is a link to a January 1971 interview with John Lennon. He comes off as a real asshole. I didn't realize he was that bitter.

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/thebeatles/articles/story/29723450/why_the_beatles_broke_upbr_the_story_behind_our_cover

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If someone asked me to recommend a single Beatles album, and they had never heard any Beatles songs, I would recommend the album, Revolver, as I believe it represents their creative zenith. (Abbey Road would be a close second, with Sgt. Pepper being third.)

I have not listened to the remastered albums, yet.

I do, however, own the 'Love' album, which is a remastered album. The difference is obvious and awesome.

While this is all great, there is a certain charm in listening to a 33 vinyl mono mix of the songs, as this how folks originally heard them.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I would recommend the album, Revolver, as I believe it represents their creative zenith. (Abbey Road would be a close second, with Sgt. Pepper being third.)

I don't know about that. What about Rubber Soul? Harrison said Rubber Soul was their best.

They're almost like a double album. I've got no problem with Revolver, I think it's their most underrated album, but Rubber Soul came first and its sound is the original. Norweigan Wood was an original sound (the sitar). Revolver continued and expanded it but followed it.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Remasters are overrated. Just pump your old Beatles albums through an equalizer, adjust it to the way you think it sounds good, and voila! The Beatles remastered! Oh yeah, don't forget to jiggle your volume control once in a while to simulate tape dropout from 40+ year old master tapes.

I'd prefer to see much of the albums out there with the individual tracks stripped down, remastered, and then remixed instead of just farting around with a digital EQ.

Also, if you're downloading a remastered album to hear how good a job they did, you're entirely missing the point. The low end and high end get chopped with MP3 encoding. If you REALLY want to hear what they did, you need to buy the CD from a store.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Arguing over which album is the best reminds me of a quote said from the Anthology.

Paul and Ringo talked about how some people said the White Album should have been condensed into just one good album instead of a double album.

They joked, "Yes, it should have been two separate albums- the White and the Whiter Album. I mean, really, it sold, it's the bloody Beatles, and I'm not one to look back and question these things."

We're all just lucky to have such an embarrassment of riches when it comes to great Beatle albums.

By the way, Dhani Harrison was on the Tonight Show promoting the Beatles Rock Band game which I'm dying to play!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Arguing over which album is the best

Yeah, I'm not arguing it.

I've listened to every album, dozens of times. If I had one shot to impress virgin ears, I would give them Revolver. There is a lot of variety and energy on that record.

Rubber Soul is a fine album. My top Beatles song is on that one: In My Life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit