paint and latinos

by John Doe 19 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

I got called in to work today to cover the paint department. I only got a little bit of paint on my face and hands and clothes, so I think I did good. ;-)

Interestingly, there was a nice older latino couple who came in to buy 5 gallons of stain. They spoke broken english, but there was a communication problem. They were wanting to know what the difference was in the different grades of stain. The better one had a 8 year warranty, the next down had a 6 year, and the cheap crap had a 2 year warranty. My Spanish skills are next to nil, but I did use a sum total of 3 spanish words. I said
    "Ocho a~nos" while pointing to the 8 year stain, and did likewise for the next one down.

No big deal, right? What was interesting was the increase in friendliness the couple displayed after I used extremely basic Spanish. They were all smiles and acted tickled. It's amazing how much we identify with languages. I try to imagine how I would feel going to a foreign country and having someone speak a couple of words of English, but I can't quite picture it.

Any similar experiences?

• What-A-Coincidence
  • John Doe
    John Doe

You're latino, right wac?

• beksbks
    beksbks

Oh Doe! I love this!! I work in the most diverse area. Indian, Chinese, Russian, Persian, Mexican, Japanese etc etc. I have learned to say hello and thank you in Indian (northern and southern, not sure what the exact dialect is), Chinese, Russian, (I know a quite a bit of Spanish) Assyrian.......anyway, it's amazing the way people light up if you just try to say something in their language. Truly wonderful.

• Priest73
    Priest73

I love it when some one comes to my country and speaks ENGLISH.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

you need to get out more, Doe.

• beksbks
    beksbks

It's not that they don't speak English Priest. They all do. But I believe it's rare in this country for us to put any effort into learning about, much less respecting, other cultures.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I am learning spanish right now, Doe. Planning on working in Latin America in the next year.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I love it when some one comes to my country and speaks ENGLISH.

lol... me too... especially when I am trying to get through to someone in the drivethru while ordering a meal. Good grief... I used to take the incorrect meal back into the establishment and have it fixed, now, when someone comes on that speaks broken english, I just order it with 'everything' then pick off the onions and pickles at home. It's not worth the fight.

I'll still argue the point at the bank though, a burger is one thing, my savings account is quite another...

J

• John Doe
    John Doe

Sorry six, I don't accept internet propositions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit