Governing Body's excuse - "the apostles made mistakes too"

by xelder 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwdecendant
    jwdecendant

I was going to post a new thread to ask this question but my question fits the theme of this thread. No doubt the apostles were imperfect and therefore make mistakes. Likewise, the GB are imperfect and will make mistakes.

Mistakes are one thing. False doctrines and prophecies go beyond a simple transgression. My question was this:

How do JW's explain Dueteronomy 18 verse 20-22? They have made several predictions, which to me is the same thing as a prophecy, about when armaggedon will take place. The first of which was 1914 being "the end" and then the prediction that 1975 was "the end". "Stay alive 'til '75" they said. None of these came to pass and to me it seems those were a little more than mistakes.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

WTS actually claims that WTS has not made predictions "in the name of Jehovah."

Someone will find it in print. It's there.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

So which one of the GB will protray "Judas?"

• asilentone
    asilentone

wha happened?, Well, when I was younger I thought Ray Franz was the Modern Day Judas, I am sure others still feel that way.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Well from inside the borg, yes. Ray is Judas. But to all of us free thinking individuals, we are waiting to see who will step up. Who knows what will cause it? Will 1 GB member be "found out" on a fetish? Or a GB member might feel uber-rightious about a point and go AWOL? Can't wait!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

jwdecendent

Some of the examples I gave from the NT, especially in sayings ascribed to Jesus in the Synoptic Gospels (see my first post on this thread), were predictions; not referring to a precise date perhaps but including clear time indications (e.g., "you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes," "some standing here will not taste death before...," "this generation shall not pass before..."). At some point they became just as clearly unfulfilled predictions, needing either correction or reinterpretation, which was provided within the development of the texts for the most part. Applying the "Deuteronomy standard" (too?) strictly to "Bible prophecies" (OT and NT) would rule many of them out as "false prophecies". The "Deuteronomy standard" is actually challenged by a number of OT texts, with the idea that Yhwh changes his mind for instance (Jeremiah, Jonah, and many narratives from Genesis onward).

• glenster
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento

There is nothing worng with making mistakes, we all do it and human as imperfect, so it is to be expected.

The REASONS why mistakes are made is whatis really the issue, that and blaming others, such as the 1975 fiasco.

When a group of people decide that they speak for Jesus and God because they say so, and then they decide to formulate doctine and views to justify that position and invent dates and prohecies to keep their "flock" in fear, intimidation and under control, when they creat their own bible and translate it to be in accordance with their doctrine, when they claim a "lineage" to the very first apostles without any proof, when they put people's life at risk based on a selective and distorted interpretation of doctrine and when they intimidate people into shunning their very own family and friends based on a twisted sense of loyalty to an oganization, then its NOT about making mistakes is it?

No, its not about mistakes or the light betting brighter.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

PSacramento,

Very good PS. I could not have said it better. And they try to cover us this reality with the slogans you identified. While it is just a partial list it is still enough to make the point. The Jews had their Talmud and did much the same thing so our Lord's remark about it applies just as well to the WT as it did to them when He said: Matt 15:7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, 8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. 9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. It is your time, your money, your life that is at stake. Why throw it away on them and their false teachings? Can they heal you, forgive your sins, raise you from death? Let them get in the back of the line, and get some oil for their lamps. You are all better prepared and way ahead of them.

Joseph

• jwdecendant
    jwdecendant

Narkissos

Your response to my question was by far the most logical, unbiased explanation of the "Deuteronomy standard" I've read/heard since I actually started looking for answers. It's a little over my head because the only formal education in theology I have is what I was taught growing up. I'm 36 years old now and haven't really studied any theological doctrines or beleifs since I was 15 or 16. Not to mention the fact that I dropped out of school in the 9th grade because I was "encouraged" to get away from "worldly" influences. After leaving school I was then "encouraged" to become a "pioneer". Go figure.

I got off on a little tangent there, must be my adult ADD kicking in there for a minute. I'm still wondering where and why the predictions in question came from. Assuming they were not neccassarily "false prophecies", it was still a pretty bold thing to say the end is coming is a specific year. I was always told growing up how careful I should be in regards to how I acted and what I said so as not to "stumble" anyone. I'm sure when 1975 came and went without anything happening as predicted that many people were "stumbled".

Can you tell me what promted them to make this prediction? I can assure you that I was at every "meeting" starting in the early part of 1973 but obviously don't recall what I heard prior to or shortly afterward 1975. One thing I do remember is a trip we made in 1980 to Bethel. I read your profile and thought it was a little ironic that you might very well have been there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit