How many people in prison are JW's?

by Gadget 25 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Gadget
    Gadget

I've been reading the topic about how Garrido met his wife while in prison, and the discussion about how prison inmates are preached to by JW's.

Has anyone done any research into how many people claiming to be JW's there are in prison? In the UK it should be quite easy to find out because of the freedom of information act. It could even be broken down to how many are in dispersal prisons (And so for much more serious offences), and how many are covered by rule 43 (Segregated for their own protection), and how this measures as a total of the prison population.

The last time I looked it up, there was 1 JW to approx 300 people in the UK. How do you think this would compare to the ratio held in prisons?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

For England and Wales it is around 100 for a prison population of around 25,500

• Gadget
    Gadget

Blacksheep, where do you get your prison population figures from? The total prison population for England and Wales is over 84,000 as of last week. Or do you mean the dispersal population or r43 population?

• Black Sheep
  • Gadget
    Gadget

Blacksheep, you have a pm.

Those figures are from 10 years ago, and only show data for the prison population as a whole rather than seperated for offence and seriousness. Has anyone ever looked into that?

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I don't know the answser to your question, but it reminded me of something that happened in the 80's.

An elder and wife had a son that was df'd.

He was supposedly addicted to drugs. He robbed a bank and took a woman hostage, and had her drive him somewhere. Of course later he was caught and went to prison.

While he was in prison and df'd...someone came to study with him. And on the night of the Memorial, some elders came to the prison to pass the wine and bread to him.

What was weird about that, was I also was df'd....I was at the KH, and the elder passing the bread and wine, passed over me and handed the imblems to the person on the other side of me. He actually had to step in front of me, so as to make sure I didn't even touch the cup and plate.

Yet this man in prison got a special visit.

WTH was up with that? (oh, maybe because I don't have a dangly part)

He later got reinstated while in prison!

lisa

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

double post.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

In the US 1997 there was 1 JW for every 112 prisoners ......... 2008 1 Publisher to 270 population.

In the UK 1999 there was 1 JW for every 255 prisoners ......... 2008 1 Publisher to 445 population.

So, there are more than their fair share in the prison systems of both countries.

• carla
    carla

(oh, maybe because I don't have a dangly part)-haha, must be it!

Gadget, is your question how many become jw's while in prison or how many jw's overall? do they get to label themselves as jw's if they are df'd? What would a r & f say about a jw who was in prison for say, murder who still counts themself as a jw? I think my jw would say they aren't a 'real' jw, the rest of society of course would not see that distinction.

• Farkel
    Farkel

We were taught there we no JWs in prison. Technically, that's true, but it is also a typical WT half-truth/lie. Once a JW is convincted, that JW is Dfd so while they are in prison they are not considered JWs. Anyway that was the Party Line when I was a dub.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit