This is frustrating

by bluecanary 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I'm filling out an application to volunteer with Big Sisters. They want references. Specifically: "Please type or print information requested for three references that are non-family members who have known you well on a personal basis for at least two years. Please provide complete mailing addresses and phone numbers." The bolding is theirs. This isn't just filling out a form to check your handwriting. They intend to call these people and check up on me.

I left the b0rg one year ago and moved to a new state. I have no contact with anyone in my former life except family, who left with me. My old "friends" wouldn't give me the time of day if I knew their current contact info, which I don't. The only references I can give now, I've known only 10 months. I have to call and find out if that will be good enough.

• Chalam
    Chalam

BC, just explain the situation succinctly. Explain you were a JW and you left so your friends from two years ago will now have nothing to do with you as a result of the shunning policy. Even though you might not have wanted to reveal that information I am sure they will look upon your situation favourably.

All the best,

Stephen

• minimus
    minimus

I wouldn't include that info.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Why's that?

JWs might be known for banging on people's doors and banging on about "jehovah" and "Armageddon" but they aren't quite lepers yet?

All the best,

Stephen

• undercover
    undercover

I don't have any suggestions.

I just want to say: Good for you, bluecanary, for trying to be helpful in the community.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

What about "worldly" neighbors from where you used to live? Or former employers / co-workers?

~Sue

• bluecanary
    bluecanary
    What about "worldly" neighbors from where you used to live? Or former employers / co-workers?

Being the excellent Dub that I was, I never spoke to neighbors and had no personal relationship with co-workers at all. Hooray for isolation!

• wobble
    wobble

I have a similar problem, applying for jobs as I am at present, and having no one to act as referee. I have managed to use my " wordly " B.I.L and A.N Other so far, but it is difficult.

I wish anyone luck in the same position, here in the U.K so many people are chasing every vacancy that the slightest thing will mean your application goes in the trash can.

Love

Wobble

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Feel free to use minimus as a reference.

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

I had the same problem when looking for a job..What about old school friends?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit