Dwight Eisenhower raised a JW!!!

by cellomould 10 Replies latest jw friends

• cellomould
    cellomould

Check this link folks

http://www.premier1.net/~raines/papers.html

Just one of the places where you can read a very interesting paper revealing the religious background of Ike Eisenhower.

I am sure many of you are quite familiar with this paper, but it has not been discussed on this site, at least in the last year.

Since it is very long, look for some highlights:

1. Ike's mother died 'faithful to Jehovah'; see Watchtower refs

2. Ike sworn in reading name 'Jehovah' from bible

3. Egyptian pyramids used in early attempts to reveal prophecy

Comments, please?!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

cellomould
    I didn't read the site, but have known since my childhood that Eishenhower's mother was a jw. But the first question that came to mind about your list is how could Dwight be holding a NWT when he was sworn in when it wasn't published until the early to mid sixties?
    jws used the American Standard Bible before then. j2bf

• cellomould
    cellomould

thanks j2bf for catching my mistake

i caught it in time, i hope

i wasn't baptized until the 90's so i forget details like that.
    on a good note, it's a joy to be free for me too. been 10 months now!

peace and goodwill to all men!

scratch that
    peace on earth among men of goodwill!

scratch that too
    where there's a goodwill there's a way to twist it into an evil will

peace anyhow!

cellomould

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• You Know
    You Know

Ol' Ike has the ignominious distinction of being the only president of the United States whose mother wasn't proud of him. LOL / You Know

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Glad to hear you are enjoying your freedom, too. Life only gets better. j2bf

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

From the webpage you cite:

When Ike graduated from West Point Military Academy in 1915, his mother presented to him a copy of the American Standard version of the Bible used by the Watchtower because it consistently used the term "Jehovah" for God. When Ike was sworn in as president for his second term, this Bible was used (see photograph London Daily News Feb 2, 1957:1). The press reports of this account, though, usually did not quote the words the President actually read which were "Blessed is the nation whose God is Jehovah" but instead substituting the word "Lord" for "Jehovah." The Watchtower concluded that this misquote was an attempt to distance President Eisenhower from his parents' faith by not using a term that was at this time intimately connected with the Jehovah's Witnesses sect (Knorr, 1957:323-324).

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

good morning , hope you had a very merry christmas.
    commenting on Ike being raised as a JW. This is true and in fact Ike's mother was one who professed to be of the remnant.
    You mentioned the pyrimid of the ages. Known as the Divine Plan of the Ages. I have a an original copy of the Chart of the Ages. If you like I could scan it and send it to u a copy. Let me know.
    Its suprising to see how many people over the Society's History were JWs. that were in positions of prestige. Well I think people that are xjws learn quite abit about things that went on in the early times of the organization, including the fact they celebrated xmas. I enjoy learning tidbits on the organization, if u have any to share i would like to hear some. Is it true for example was Brother Percy gay. I met him on two different occasions in my earliers yrs. Nothing really supprizes me any more. good luck to you, and Have a Happy New Years.
    orangefatcat- terry.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Cell: When I became a JW in the late 1960s, I read marlay's Cole's book about Jehovah's Witnesses, where he documents Dwight Eisenhower's JW background. He provides copies of letters from Dwight's mother. I remember my parents talking about this issue after Dwight left office after Kennedy was elected. I still have Marlay's book in my collection. - Amazing

• roybatty
    roybatty

Hey You Know, thank God that Ike didn't become a JW. If he had, he would have been like all the other JW Americans who did nothing to stop the Nazis. Without Ike, D-Day might have failed and Europe would have been in the grips facisim for decades to follow.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I knew an old sister, long since dead, that used to attend studies at the Eisenhower home. She always spoke very highly of him, and his mother.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit