My Story ..A Walk Through The Garden. part 1

by radar 16 Replies latest jw friends

• radar
    radar

When Jehovah’s Witnesses first started calling on my wife and I, we knew very little about the Bible. The message that this world with all its wickedness and suffering was soon to end and be replaced by a new order under the rulership of Christ Jesus was very appealing to me. To believe that God had a purpose for mankind, gave my life a new direction.

Acceptance of Watchtower doctrine along with its rules and regulations is expected of any that wish to be baptized. Your told that being baptized as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses puts one on the road to life and only then can you have any meaningful relationship with God, I was baptized on January 2nd 1982.

Zeal for new found truths caused me to spend most of my waking hours involved in personal study, preparation for meetings, Field Ministry plus many other things that is expected of you as a Jehovah’s Witness.

Humble acceptance of Watchtower leadership is a prime requirement of appointed men in the Congregations, all men are encouraged to reach out for this "privilege". After about 3yrs, I was appointed as Ministerial Servant, then in 1992 I was appointed as an Elder.

I enjoyed life as a Jehovah’s Witness, I began to associate with people from different walks of life, young and old, rich and poor. The ministry, i.e.: going to peoples houses with the Kingdom message, brought me into contact with all sorts of people, and through it I got to see many places that normally in everyday life I would not see. I gained experience as a public speaker, encouraging people in their faith by giving a sermon, brought me satisfaction.

Bringing my children up with moral values, gave me a sense of dignity and pride in my family life. Working along with others in Kingdom Hall construction, and seeing goodwill displayed, convinced me that I had found the true "Christian way" of life, often referred to by Jehovah’s Witnesses as the truth.

All is not "Rosy in the Garden"

Meeting Attendance & Field Service.
    The Watchtower Society puts major importance on regular meeting attendance, if a person is missing from meetings, its like their very salvation is put in jeopardy. Only if you are really ill, should you be missing from them, or as one Circuit Overseer put "only if your flat on your back". My observation of the effect of this kind of thinking, is that many attend these meetings under duress and are clearly not happy, but accept it as a test of loyalty to the Organization. Was this really the refreshment for your souls that Jesus spoke about? As the years went on, I began to have my doubts.

Over the years the continuous tune played over meeting attendance and regular field service, became monotonous to me. The emphasis was, that to get into the Kingdom, you needed to be fully involved with these things. Otherwise your faith would die, and Armageddon was just around the corner. It gradually became apparent to me that this was a regimented form of worship. I began to ask myself is this, what showing faith in Christ means ?
    There is a "Mould" that the Watchtower Organization, tries to fit everyone into. Essentially it consists of a person spending at least 8hrs per month on the ministry, if someone fell much bellow this, without any noticeable reason, he would be sure to get a visit from the local Elders. The person would have to answer up at meetings and not miss any, without good reason. Many who did not quite fit this Mould, would on the whole be viewed as weak, and these tended to be ignored or overlooked to some degree. This puts tremendous pressure on individuals,who find it difficult to express their faith in this way. This type of Mould does not allow for individuality. Expressions of faith are manifested in many ways, but I would say rarely on a "report card".

I personally enjoyed the ministry work, but often, much of the time was taken up by calling at homes where people were out. Yet many would spend many hours like this, just to fulfill their hourly requirement. This insistence of reporting all time given to witnessing, takes away from the gift of the Gospel message as i saw it then. Jesus said in regard to giving,: "The left hand should not know what the right hand is doing" . When a person genuinely gives, he does so, without taking account of it.
    When the Watchtower reports in the annual Yearbook of J.Ws how many hours worldwide have been spent in the ministry work , for what does this accomplish? Taking account of time spent this way, removes genuine expressions of faith.
    I am sure that if Jehovah's Witnesses did not have to report their time taken in the ministry, this great "evidence" of their faith would fade dramatically.

Part two....... Tomorrow.

Radar

• Perry
    Perry

Radar,

Thank you for the personal history and your take on faith. Can't wait for pt. 2

Was wondering if you still think faith is useful?

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I agree, thanks for it. Sometimes I feel guilty for leaving, and then you guys remind me very quickly why I left in the first place.

ashi

• radar
    radar

Perry

Faith usefull?
    As the saying goes "Faith can move mountains".

The source of ones faith can be in error, but regardless of the source, if a person truly believes in what he sees as "truth" then great achievements do follow. Mans history is full of achievements based on Faith.

If you are asking me do I have faith in God, the answer is that I do not have faith in the God of the Bible.
    Yet I do believe there is more to life than meets the eye, I try to keep an open mind on things these days.

Ashitaka, you have encouraged me to keep posting..Thanks

Radar

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

radar: Although I do not agree with all your observations, I admit that it is well written.

Personally I also enjoy field service. Like you, I do not like knocking on empty homes, so I look for places where people are. One place in our town is home depot. I find many people that are willing to talk and hear the good news there. Our congregation has also organized phone witnessing. Everyone loves this type of service, specially on cold days.

Bringing my children up with moral values, gave me a sense of dignity and pride in my family life. Working along with others in Kingdom Hall construction, and seeing goodwill displayed, convinced me that I had found the true "Christian way" of life, often referred to by Jehovah’s Witnesses as the truth.
    This is a beautiful thought.

Over the years the continuous tune played over meeting attendance and regular field service, became monotonous to me.
    I'm sorry that this was a problem for you. I personally enjoy the meetings very much. It is very refreshing to go to the meetings and at least for a short period of time forget about work, bills and other problems. I also like being around good people that love me.
  • jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Radar, I look forward to reading your next edition.

Yoyomama, I thank God you are not at my home town Home Depot. However, I am glad the JWs provide what you are looking for in a religion. But, for 99.9% of the world, the JWs are not the religion of choice.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama
    for 99.9% of the world, the JWs are not the religion of choice

Yes, sad ain't it?

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Not really Yoyomama.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

• radar
    radar

YoYoMama

You said that you like being around good people that love you.

Can I ask you this: If you let it be known to your JW brothers that you were posting on this board, how long do you think it would take for these "loving " brothers to reject you?

I found that "this love" in the kingdom Hall was conditional love.
    I hope you read my further postings, it deals with this in some degree.

Radar

• Andee
    Andee

Radar, you wrote:

If you are asking me do I have faith in God, the answer is that I do not have faith in the God of the Bible. Yet I do believe there is more to life than meets the eye, I try to keep an open mind on things these days.
    Beautifully and succinctly put! That mirrors so much of how I view the whole God "thing".

Thanks for sharing you story. I look forward to part 2.

Andee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit