Do/did you like to read Daily Text?

by Albert Einstein 37 Replies latest jw friends

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

"Like to"? No.

I tried to be a good dub and get into a daily routine at times, but my best efforts would only last a week. The text took a few seconds to read and left your spiritual stomach empty and growling.

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

When I was a kid, my mother made sure we read the Daily Text together every day. It was like a punishment to us, just as the family Bible study was, never pleasant. I referred to it as the "Daily Hex" to my sisters and brother. My mother would have shit a gold brick if she ever heard me refer to it that way.

In adulthood, I tried very hard to be a good JW and do all that was expected, impossible task, of course, but for long periods of time I would read the Daily Hex every day, but I did not like it. When I joined Al-Anon, I starting reading their daily books every day and what a big difference! There was some actual spirituality and practical help, very positive reading and inspirational - throw that Daily Hex in the trash! It could not begin to compare with the other things I was reading.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Yes, I sure do, even now, which is why I miss the Examining the Scriptures Daily feed, which came from subscribing to http://examiningthescripturesdaily.blogspot.com. Alas, some "copyright" issue means that 31 Jul 2009 was the last day for the feed. I trust that another, more legitimate means of seeing it online is yet (or becomes) possible.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Lets hope not Spike, I'm sure people have got better things to do in their lives

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

73-75 I read the text. I knew I was brainwashing myself. But I thought it was the troof.

after 76 I couldnt stand reading it any more.

I knew I had been bamboozled.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

I used to read the daily bore as it made me feel almost 'righteous and faithful' (yes, you can get me a bucket...). Sometimes it was pretty dry and dull though.

When I stopped going to meetings and was exploring mainstream Christianity I swapped it for a daily "thoughts of God" - it was much more spiritual and uplifting. My JW best friend came round, saw it and almost had a heart attack. She said to me "do you seriously prefer to read that than the what is provided for us by the faithful and discreet slave???!!!!!". My reply: "YES!". She wasn't impressed. Needless to say she doesn't speak to me anymore.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

could that have been a certain FH Sam?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Didn't even try. We studied the WT the year before. It was read to us, the question was answered and we regurgitated it back then. I sure as heck wasn't going to re-read it again. Considering that the text gave you some lame thing to be guilted by all day I wasn't playing into that trap. W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit