Did you participate in STREET WITNESSING in your area? What was it like?

by BonaFide 19 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I was in one congregation who's territory was mostly well to do. I would literally go weeks without someone answering the door. We would do street work just to talk to people

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

is it just me or are WTWizards's posts almost impossible to read because of the constant 'joke' terms? Dude - why don't you just write normally, it isn't really funny anymore?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I did everything - streets, buses, ships.

Buses were the worst as if someone wasn't interested neither you or they could escape.

I got kicked out of a KMart carpark once by the managment.

At 12 I used to go to markets and streets on my own. People would walk by and I would walk alongside them not letting them get away. I feel so embarrassed about it now, as it really annoys me when charities etc attack me on the street trying to guilt me into stopping and talking. I now realise that most people look down on JW streetworkers as annoying and crazy.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

When I was a teen my mother and I would do Mall witnessing. We would go and do our shopping, place one tract and count the whole time. I love that woman.

• outofservice
    outofservice

Got mugged doing street work in Miami in the 80's. We were in a group one old brother got punched in the jaw trying to protect his wife while they snatched her chain. They took all are service bags and ran off. Makes me wonder where those 10 ft tall super brothers were to guard us. Good times.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I don't remember ever doing it so if I ever did do it wasn't that eventful. In my area it seemed to be a method of counting time without ever really talking to anyone. There were areas where you would see Jdubs lined up on street corners like newspaper vending machines. They would just stand there holding the magazines in front of them never approaching anyone. I still see people doing it in this area but the method seems to have changed a little. Now they are usually in groups of two or three. They walk very slowly down a street maybe trying to place magazines with someone at a bus stop but most of the time they are just walking very slow down the street conversing with one and other. It just looks like they are killing time, or in their case counting it.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I witnessed to a few streets, they were good listeners.

• bibledike
    bibledike

My group used to go out 5 am in the morning trying to catch truck drivers. It was cool listening to music unless there was an extra spirtual person in the car and a good excuse for a nap too. Honestly it was a real waste of time I could had been catching zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's

• designs
    designs

Usually got screamed at by crazy Evangelicals.

There are people nuttier than JWs.

• mac n cheese
    mac n cheese

In our area we used to set up tables outside of Costco, at the airport, and at WalMart. I liked it - I could talk to anyone and it was E-A-S-Y time. Of course, they turned it into a "have to be approved" to do it. Pretty unproductive though, like everything else JW - designed to show off how dedicated you were.

(off topic)

to zombiedub - I really like reading WTWizard's posts, but I confess, once I see more than two substituted vocabulary words, I just stop reading. At first, i was looking for a translator/cheat sheet and then, being my lazy self, I just gave up. But I figured that was my fault. So I've only been able to wade throug a few of some really great posts from WT Wizard.

WT Wizard - would really love to read your posts but I need a list of terms you use and their definitions so I know what you're talking about.

Mac

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit