In the past 20 years, have you seen a balanced, educated adult not raised by JW parents get baptized as a JW?

by BonaFide 40 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I am not criticizing those who have gone through depression or a traumatic experience. Nor am I criticizing those who were raised as a Witness as I was.

But I am curious to know if any of you have seen a person from the territory, not a relative of a Witness, no recent tragedies or emotional problems, not a young runaway, not a drug user, but an educated adult who began a study with Jehovah's Witnesses, and eventually got baptized.

When I was a missionary, I met a Gilead couple who had been in their assignment for 19 years. I asked them about that. They had 10 Bible studies at the time, but they were teaching them how to read, etc. The husband said, "Yes its true that people who are educated don't come into the truth unless something shakes them up, like a tragedy, then they realize they need a hope."

I was out of this country in my assignment for years, but since I have been back in the past 9 years, every person I have seen baptized has either been raised a Witness, has some emotional or mental problems, or severe learning disabilities such as not being able to read, or a young teenager, or very elderly from a convalescent home. I am not judging them, I have my problems too, but what about people who DO NOT have severe life challenges or who are very elderly or very young?

I was trying to sort of bring up the subject a few weeks ago with the conventions coming up. I said "Wow, seems like no one gets baptized unless they are raised a Witness, or they have some tragedy in their life." So another one of my friends said, "Well, what about 'Jane'? She just got baptized and she is from the territory?" I said, "True, but I know she has some emotional challenges." They said, "Yes, that's why it took her a long time to get baptized, because of her depression she sometimes can't get out of the house for meetings. But she is so happy that she has the hope of the Paradise, that helps her."

So, what have you all around the world seen as far as baptismal candidates goes in the past 20 years?

BF

• zarco
    zarco

If you look back 20 years we are still in the late 80s and yes in the 80s and early 90s we knew of and studied with a few that ended up coming in. They were normal, well adjusted educated individuals. Since the early 90s I do not know of any well adjusted, educated individuals that have come in. I am sure there must be some, but it is really rare that Witnesses pull in well adjusted, educated folks. Obviously individuals that have a normal life are not searching for something new and they likely check before they buy. With the availability of information about the Witnesses, I cant imagine many coming in. As many have stated previously, as an American religion some in under-privledged countries might view the Witness life as the American way and give it a try. But other than that, it is going to be kids and a few crazies sitting in the front rows for the baptismal talk.

• zarco
    zarco

The other issue that arises is that since the majority of current Witnesses are not balanced emotionally, secularly and intelectually they will have trouble attracting balanced converts. It really does take balanced people to attract balanced people. I think in the 80s and possbily the early 90s the Witnesses had some of the generation that really knew the bible - at least the Witness proof texts - and could attract others with logical reasoning and the power of their lifestyle. Nowdays not so much....

• C. T. Russell
    C. T. Russell

Good question, I can’t think of any. I can only think of two that are even close.

One guy in college was baptized when he was 21. He was accepted to Bethel when he turned 25. None of his family was in the truth.

The other was baptized when he was 17. His parents sent him to a deprogramming camp. Me and another brother broke him out though. His parents finally agreed to tolerate his being a JW as long as he went to college.

I can’t remember anyone being highly educated ever joining.

Jehovah likes “humble” people.

• oompa
    oompa

one.....she seemed pretty normal and smart...it was over 15 years ago though.........

good/sad observation..........oompa

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Most people that join cults are late teens/early twenties or have recently gone through a traumatic event. That is true of JWs as well.

I have know a few middleaged people that seem normal that have been baptised. However, it is a difficult question to answer because it is hard to label someone as normal when most people can point to some trauma or emotional insecurity.

On the other hand, I have known a lot more intelligent people that study but then do get baptised. This includes husbands of JW wives. Even though they want to believe for the sake of their families, they cannot.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

jwfacts, should that be "don't get baptised"? Yes, I've noticed a similar phenomenon. My mother will talk about a particular wonderful study, etc. and I'll ask, "Do they speak English?" and every time, the wonderful study is a recent immigrant who's just learning English. Educated, balanced English speakers? Not so much. About a month ago, I heard about someone like that from a friend who lives 600 miles away. That's it.

• reniaa
    reniaa

define normal?

according to this thread.... white 20's college kid (preferably male) non immigrant is normal! everyone else is then not normal so doubtless will fall for those witness wiles.

Reniaa

• besty
    besty

another category that the JW's specialize in recruiting from is single mum, multiple children, absent father(s),

quite often in Inner London that would be a mixed race partnership (white mum, black (absent) dad) and a ton of kids needing insta-family + father figures - the mum would be savvy enough to look around herself and see the future if there was no structure for the kids

so not infrequent sight to see a new JW recruit - white woman sitting at the end of a row of 5 kids of various shades :-)

EDIT - forgot to say the offer of Paradise AND insta-family is appealing in Inner London - what's 3 meetings a week - gets you out the slum apartment doesn't it?....

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I was found door to door around the age of 26 or 27. I was going through a terrible marriage, so I had allot of emotional stuff going on.

It was not until my life settled down considerably, when I really could pay attention

to the meetings(had four kids one on the way when baptised) and what was going on closely,

that is when I seriously doubted and was able to leave.

As I got healthy I began to see how unhealthy the organization was.

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit