Genesis 1:2 — "God's active force" and equivalents

by Spike Tassel 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

This is a continuation of the thread which started under the Topic http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/178124/4/Ok-have-you-ever-been-asked-this-question-in-regards-to-Isaiah-43-10.

I begin with Genesis 1:2 where Stephen [a.k.a. Chalam] expressed concern regarding the NWT rendering "God's active force".

The full clause there at Genesis 1:2 states:— "and God's active force was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters". [NWT]

Other English translations [all found in my personal reference library] render this clause as follows:—
    • and a mightywind that swept over the surface of the waters [The New English Bible]
    • and God'sactive force [spirit; wind; and other words that denote an invisible active force] was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters [NWT with References]
    • and God'sSpirit moved over [flew over; swooped down (like a bird flying over its nest to protect its babies)] the water [Easy-to-Read Version, English Version for the Deaf]
    • and God'sSpirit was hovering over the surface of the waters [The Bible in Living English]
    • and God'sSpirit was moving over the water [The Everyday Bible, New Century Version]
    • and the Spiritof God fluttering on the face of the waters [Young's Literal Translation]
    • and the Spiritof God hovered over the surface of the water [The Revised English Bible]
    • And the spiritof God moved over the waters [Douay version]
    • and the Spiritof God moved upon [was brooding upon] the face of the waters [American Standard Version (ASV), The Modern Reader's Bible, The Webster Bible]
    • And the Spiritof God mooued vpon the face of the waters [Authorized Version (1611)]
    • And the Spiritof God moved upon the face of the waters [Authorized Version (1769 standard)]
    • and the Spiritof God was moving on the face of the waters [The Bible in Basic English]
    • and the Spiritof God was moving over the face of the waters [Revised Standard Version]
    • and the Spiritof God was moving over the surface of the waters [(New) Berkeley Version]
    • And the Spiritof God was hovering over the face of the waters [The New King James Version]
    • and the Spiritof God was hovering over the waters [New International Version]
    • And then the Spiritof God came into the emptiness to give it form and bring it life [paraphrase by Pearl Buck]
    • but already, over its waters, brooded the Spiritof God [translation by Ronald Knox]
    • but the breath of GODvibrated over its fluid face [translation by Ferrar Fenton]
    • but the Spiritof God was hovering over the waters [new translation by James Moffatt]
    • But the Spiritof God [a mighty wind] was moving over the water [Contemporary English Version]
    God's Spiritbrooded like a bird above the watery abyss [The Message]
    God's Spirit hovered over the waters with Life-generating power [The Abbreviated Bible (TAB)]
    • the powerof God [the spirit of God; a wind from God; an awesome wind] was moving over the water [Good News Bible, Today's English Version]
    • the Spiritof Elohim moved upon the face of the waters [Holy Name Bible]
    • the Spiritof Elohim was brooding on the face of the waters [Rotherham Version revised]
    • The Spiritof God was hovering over the water [God's Word™]
    • The Spiritof God was hovering over the waters [New International Reader's Version]
    • while a mightywind [a windof God; a spiritof God] swept over the waters [The New American Bible]
    • while a windfrom God [the spirit; a mighty wind] swept over the face of the waters [New Revised Standard Version]
    • with a divine windsweeping over the waters" [The New Jerusalem bible]
    • with the Spiritof God brooding over the dark vapors [The Living Bible,]
    • & the Spiritof God moued vpon the waters [The Geneva Bible]

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

ST, perhaps you can explain to me why this is (afaik) the only instance where the NWT renders ruach as "active force"? Why "spirit" and not "active force" in 6:3 or 41:38; Exodus 31:3; 35:31 etc.?

Sincere question: I don't know the answer.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This was something I put together when I used to defend the Witnesses. There are no other translations I know that also use "active force"; the Good News Bible however is not far away with "power", and a few commentators come close to that terminology when discussing the text or God's spirit in the OT or Bible generally.

Genesis 1:2 New World Translation

"..and God's active force was moving to and fro..."-

New Revised Standard Version Gen 1:2 "the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters."

Good News Bible: " The raging ocean that covered everything was engulfed in total darkness, and the power of God was moving over the water."

New Jerusalem Bible: "there was darkness over the deep, with a divine wind sweeping over the waters."

Knox: "and darkness hung over the deep; but already, over its waters, stirred the breath of God."

Jewish Publication Society: "with darkness over the surface of the deep and a wind from God sweeping over the water"

We can glean from the above translations that to translate RUACH as "spirit" is by no means the consensus among Bible translators. In fact this is readily acknowledged for as The Anchor Bible, Genesis, A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary by F.A.Speiser notes regarding RUACH here at Genesis 1:2: "an awesome wind. Heb[rew] ruah means primarily "wind, breeze," secondarily "breath," and thus ultimately "spirit." But the last connotation is more concrete than abstract ; in the present context, moreover, it appears to be out of place- see H.M.Orlinsky, JQR 47(1957), 174-82...) Is therefore, the translation offered by the New World Translation Committee, "active force" on sound translational and linguistical grounds? The following will answer in the positive:

"Perceptible and yet not perceptible, invisible and yet powerful, real like energy charged air, the wind, the storm, as important for life as the air we breath: this is how people in ancient times frequently imagined the "Spirit" and God's invisible working. According to the beginning of the creation account, "spirit" (Hebrew, ruah; Greek, pneuma) is the "roaring," the "tempest" of God over the waters. "Spirit" here does not mean in the idealistic sense a capacity for knowledge or a psychological power, still less an immaterial, intellectual or ethical principle, and certainly not spiritual or mental reality in the modern sense as opposed to sensible, corporeal reality or to nature. "Spirit" as understood in the Bible means the force or power proceeding from God, which is opposed to "flesh," to created, perishable reality: that invisible force of God and power of God which is effective creatively or destructively, for life or judgment, in creation and in history, in Israel and in the church. It comes upon man powerfully or gently, stirring up individuals or even groups to ecstasy, often effective in extraordinary phenomena, in great men and women, in Moses and the "judges" of Israel, in warriors and singers, kings prophets and prophetesses." Hans Kung, On Being a Christian (1997), pages 468/469.

Notice that Kung wrote: that "Spirit as understood in the Bible means the force or power proceeding from God,"

Using Genesis 1:2; Job 33:4 and Psalm 33:6 as its basis, Swete writes about the "Spirit" in the Old Testament:

"The Spirit of God is the vital power which belongs to the Divine Being, and is seen to be operative in the world and in men. It is the Divine Energy which is the origin of all created life, especially of human existence and the faculties of human nature." Swete, The Holy Spirit in the New Testament (1909), page 2.

The commentator clearly sees the Spirit as a force, not a person in this verse.

About the translation of Genesis 1:2:

"There is little to commend "a mighty wind" (NEB, Speiser, von Rad); in the relatively few passages where "God" is used as a superlative, the context usually makes it clear. The sense is excellently given by "the power of God" (GNB)." A Bible Commentary for Today, General Editor G. C. D. Howley (1973), page 135.

Note that this Commentary states "The sense is excellently given by "the power of God" (GNB)."

"There is apparent a development in the direction of hypostatization of the Spirit, not in the sense that it is conceived as a person but as a substantial source of force and activity. It is the creative force of Yahweh (Gn. 1:2; Jb 33:5)" Dictionary of the Bible, McKenzie (1965), page 841.

This Bible Dictionary agrees with the NWT that in Genesis 1:2, the Spirit is the "creative force of Yahweh."

"The Spirit brooding over the primeval waters (Gn. 1:2) and creating man (Gn. 2:7), the Spirit who garnishes the heavens (Jb 26:13), sustains animal life and renews the face of the earth (Ps. 54:30), is the ruah ('breath,' 'wind') of God, the outgoing divine energy and power." The New Bible Dictionary, J. D. Douglas (1962), page 531.

The ruach is not a person, the basic meaning in Gen 1:2 (and the other scriptures quoted) is shown to be " the outgoing divine energy and power."

"Common connotations include "energy" and "invisibility"…. Broadly speaking, God's ruah is represented 1: as God's power in the creation of the cosmos (Gn. 1:2; Ps. 33:6 etc.)." The New Dictionary of Biblical Theology, Edited by T. D. Alexander (2000), page 551.

This Bible Dictionary defines ruah in Geb 1:2 as "God's power in the creation of the cosmos."

"The 'breath', 'wind,' or 'Spirit' of God is the creative power which brings life to the formless chaos in the beginning of all things (Gen 1:2)" The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible (1962), Vol. 2, page 629.

The Spirit of God is a "creative power", not a person.

"The most basic meaning of ruah is variously defined as 'blowing' (Kamalah, NIDNTT, 690), 'air in motion' (TDOT 2:836; Reiling. DDD, 792), and 'wind' (Koch, 872)…

….As Kamalah observes, "The idea behind ruah is the extraordinary fact that something as intangible as air should move; at the same time it is not the movement per se which excites attention, but rather the energy manifested by such movement" (NIDNTT 3:690). In other words, the invisible essence of ruah is known primarily by its effect on the visible world, by which we can then attempt to perceive its essence. Thus, ruah is a term representing something unseen in order that the visible effect of the invisible force might be adequately apprehended." -The New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis - Lexical Dictionary, Van Gameren, Vol 3. page 1073.

This source shows that the basic meaning of the word ruah does not connote a personality, but rather " something unseen in order that the visible effect of the invisible force might be adequately apprehended." This is provides clear philological basis for the NWT's translation "God's active force".

Talking about "the spirit of God" in Gen 1:2:

"The phrase describes not chaos but the creative power of God in action. Wind, a symbol of power, is used theologically in the Old Testament to refer to the dynamic activity and presence of God in the world - his Spirit." -Genesis 1-11 Cambridge Bible Commentary, Robert Davidson (1973), page 16.

This commentator does not think that a "person" is presented here, but rather the "power of God in action".

In comment on "the spirit of God moved":

"Ruach is wind, breath or spirit; it denotes the vital element in man (cp. 'gave up the spirit', Mark 15:39), and when used of God it might refer to his life-giving power (cf. 2:7 and note below). But here the expression is hardly more than a Hebrew idiom meaning 'a very strong wind', and it can scarcely be used to support a doctrine of the Creator Spirit" -Genesis 1-11 - Torch Bible Paperbacks, Alan Richardson (SCM Press Ltd, 9yh impression, 1974), page 48.

This quote, although only saying that the phrase "might" refer to God's "life-giving power", also states firmly that the phrase "can scarcely be used to support a doctrine of the Creator Spirit."

"In sharp contrast with the orderly heavens and earth, the cosmos of verse 1, created by the will of a free and sovereign God, is the formless void of verse 2, over which the divine Spirit broods like a mighty bird to effect the miracle of creation (see also Deu 32:11). Here the underlying conception of creation is a struggle between the Deity and certain forces of nature in which the mysterious, invisible divine power brings order out of chaos, conquers the realm of the darkness, and subdues the wild and boundless sea." -Genesis, C. T. Fritsch (1959), page 22.

Note: "invisible divine power".

"The wind of divine proportions might also be "the spirit [i.e., the life-giving breath] of God" moving upon the waters preparatory to the beginning of creation. "For the Spirit of God has made me, the breath of the Almighty keeps me alive" (Job 33:4): in Hebrew the words for spirit, breath, wind, all symbols of power, are one and the same." On Genesis, Bruce Vawter (1977), page 41.

Notice "life-giving breath", clearly not personal. Also the fact that the Hebrew word connotes "power".

We conclude therefore that the New World Translation's "active force" for the Hebrew RUACH is both accurate and appropriate for Genesis 1:2.

(Contributed 3/10/2002).

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

My question remains all the more: if "active force" is valid as a translation in Genesis 1:2 because it is a definition gathered from the usage of ruach ('elôhim) in other contexts, why doesn't the NWT use it in all relevant contexts?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Narkissos,

T, perhaps you can explain to me why this is (afaik) the only instance where the NWT renders ruach as "active force"? Why "spirit" and not "active force" in 6:3 or 41:38; Exodus 31:3; 35:31 etc.?

Sincere question: I don't know the answer.

Excellent question!

Of course, the answer is already clear. The NWT "translators" do no follow any logical linguistic or grammatical rules, there chop and change to suit their own purposes, namely their own heretical doctrines.

Now, as I said to Mr. T in the previous thread, the WT want to keep you firstly from the real Jesus and secondly from His Spirit, the Holy Spirit. Thus they get the deception in there nice and early, second verse in the bible. Just to reiterate, neither word means "active" or "force", even as the NWT itself shows rendering the same hebrew words in later verses as you have questioned.

The purpose of the false "label" is to set the JW up to swallow the WT doctrine of the Holy Spirit not being a person but rather an impersonal force. As I challenged Mr. T, give me three verses to support an impersonal "active force" and I will bring thirty to support a person, with a voice, with feelings and such, even from the highly tampered with NWT "translation".

The Holy Spirit speaks, He is the voice of Jesus John 10:3 John 10:4 John 10:16 John 10:27

The WT do not want you to hear Jesus or follow Him but listen to their voice and follow them :(

All the best,

Stephen

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    My question remains all the more: if "active force" is valid as a translation in Genesis 1:2 because it is a definition gathered from the usage of ruach ('elôhim) in other contexts, why doesn't the NWT use it in all relevant contexts?

Perhaps just because it is in the first verses in the Bible, and noticeable, even iconic, and presumably, as the first few words in Hebrew that Fred Franz translated during the NWT project, he saw it as opportunity to demonstrate his skill from the outset, in a similar way to how he handled John 1:1 his own way. He wouldn't be the only one to try and attempt fancy things with the first few verses of Genesis, as some translators insist on seeing a subordinate clause there where traditional versions tend not to. I think Ferrar Fenton and Robert Alter's translations are examples, which I will post if I can find them among the junk, and if anyone is interested.

I didn't mean my post as a specific answer, I just thought it was relevant, and I was surprised to find my page on the subject was still online because I thought it had been removed, so I re-posted it here in a (very) brief moment of excitement about this reminder of my apologist days.

• FuzzyPaul
    FuzzyPaul

When reading Hebrew ask a Hebrew expert. The Jewish Publication Society 1917 (JPS 1917) http://www.hareidi.org/bible/Genesis1.htm#1

reads:

BERESHIT
    (Book of Genesis)
    Chapter 1
    IN THE beginning G-d created the heaven and the earth.
    Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of G-d hovered over the face of the waters.

The Watchtower can't allow for the Holy Spirit to be a cognizant person or one aspect of The Trinity would be validated. To contradict The Trinity requires disqualifying as many aspects of it as possible, to dig as deep a hole as possible for the student to climb out of. The Holy Spirit is intelligent, speaks, comforts, teaches, grieves, is sinned against (can one offend a force), convicts (of ones state of being an unredeemed sinner). To answer a question, "How can a person fill someone?, notice that many scriptures say that the Father was in him (Jesus ) and he was in the Father. NOT "in union" implying cooperation which is the Watchtower's idea and used in the New World Translation.

John 17:21 that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.

Acts 17:22, 23, 28

So Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, "Men of Athens, I observe that you are very religious in all respects.

"For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, 'TO AN UNKNOWN GOD ' Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you.

for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, 'For we also are His children.'

In every case I found that the New World Translation "in union" is the Greek 'en' which means 'in'. The Kingdom Interlinear I used at the KHall for years, before I left, showed me that but I didn't clue in to the substance of being 'in Jesus' or "in the Father'

Isaiah tells how how the Holy Spirit is a special and unique messanger of GOD who is directly from GOD and represents ONLY HIM AS HIM.

Isaiah 63:

God's Ancient Mercies Recalled

7 I shall make mention of the lovingkindnesses of YHWH, the praises of YHWH,
    According to all that YHWH has granted us,
    And the great goodness toward the house of Israel,
    Which He has granted them according to His compassion
    And according to the abundance of His lovingkindnesses.
    8 For He said, "Surely, they are My people,
    Sons who will not deal falsely "
    So He became their Savior.
    9 In all their affliction He was afflicted,
    And the Angel of HIS Presence saved them;
    In His love and in His mercy He redeemed them,
    And He lifted them and carried them all the days of old.
    10 But they rebelled
    And grieved His Holy Spirit;
    Therefore He turned Himself to become their enemy,
    He fought against them.

11 Then His people remembered the days of old, of Moses
    Where is He who brought them up out of the sea with the shepherds of His flock?
    Where is He who put His Holy Spirit in the midst of them,
    12 Who caused His glorious arm to go at the right hand of Moses,
    Who divided the waters before them to make for Himself an everlasting name,
    13 Who led them through the depths?
    Like the horse in the wilderness, they did not stumble;
    14 As the cattle which go down into the valley,
    The Spirit of YHWH gave them rest
    So You led Your people,
    To make for Yourself a glorious name.

The Holy Spirit is The Angel of God's presence. A messenger of GOD's presence. GOD's presence. The Holy Spirit is not a mere directed force.

Now read JPS 1917:

Isaiah 63:7-14

I will make mention of the mercies of HaShem, and the praises of HaShem, according to all that HaShem hath bestowed on us; and the great goodness toward the house of Israel, which He hath bestowed on them according to His compassions, and according to the multitude of His mercies.
    For He said: 'Surely, they are My people, children that will not deal falsely'; so He was their Saviour.
    In all their affliction He was afflicted, and the angel of His presence saved them; in His love and in His pity He redeemed them; and He bore them, and carried them all the days of old.
    But they rebelled, and grieved His holy spirit; therefore He was turned to be their enemy, Himself fought against them.
    Then His people remembered the days of old, the days of Moses: 'Where is He that brought them up out of the sea with the shepherds of His flock? Where is He that put His holy spirit in the midst of them?
    That caused His glorious arm to go at the right hand of Moses? that divided the water before them, to make Himself an everlasting name?
    That led them through the deep, as a horse in the wilderness, without stumbling?
    As the cattle that go down into the valley, the spirit of HaShem caused them to rest; so didst Thou lead Thy people, to make Thyself a glorious name.'

From the paper on the study of The Holy Spirit called "pneumatology" by:

Michel Rene Barnes

Veni Creator Spiritus

Dedicated to the work of Frank McCloin 1

" the LXX rendering of Isaiah 63:9 says

"…not an ambassador, nor an angel, but he himself saved them…." "

He himself" is God, and the text is emphatic that God saved Israel directly. The MT, however, says:

"In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them"

The MT version of Isaiah 63:9 is widely regarded by contemporary scholars as a key expression of Jewish angelomorphic pneumatology, and I will not here belabor the significance of the MT Hebrew text in this case."

" The Spirit Creator

The Jewish Doctrine of the Spirit Creator

The first reference to the "Spirit of God" appears in the second line of the first book of the Bible. We remember these first few words, sometimes only vaguely, but they are worth saying again here.

(1) In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (2) The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God hovered over the face of the waters. (3) And God said, "Let there be light." And there was light.

If one reads this passage with the question of sources or original literary units in mind, then Genesis 1:1-2 has the appearance of having previously "stood alone" without being part of the "And God said" literary tradition that begins at Gen. 1:3. If, on the other hand, one reads this passage from the perspective of the literary unit Genesis 1, then what is striking is that "Spirit of God" does not appear again in the creation account in the first chapter of Genesis"

" The second example of a Spirit-creator text is found in Job: "The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life." (Job 33:4) The passage may be seen as a condensed reference to the creation tradition expressed at Genesis 1:2b and Genesis 2:7. 20 Clearer echoes of these Genesis spirit expressions can be found in two other pasages in Job 26:4:

With whom have you sent your words?

Whose breath-of-life has come forth from you?

which echoes the description of Genesis 1:1-2b and 2:7. The final Job passage is 27:3, "…as long as my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils," which again echoes the description of Genesis 2: 7.

There are two psalms from First Temple Judaism that seem to associate the Spirit of God with creating: Ps. 33 and Ps. 104.

By the

Word of the Lord the heavens were spread out, And by the Spirit of His mouth all their power . ( Ps. 33:6 )

When thou sendest forth thy Spirit , they are created; and thou renewest the face of the ground. ( Ps. 104:30 ) " ...

Found at http://www.mu.edu/maqom/spiritus.pdf .

Jehovah's Witnesses are disallowed from thinking in abstract terms, what are properly called mysticisms. Mysticism does not imply demonology. It implies a deeply abstract idea.

Another commentary by Dr. Gary S. Greig reads:

Biblical Reasons to Receive God’s Glory and Give It Away in Power Evangelism

Furthermore, in

Isaiah 63:9-10

the angel of the Lord, who led the Israelites through the wilderness after the Exodus from Egypt, is called “the angel of His presence ( mal’akh panav, literally “the angel of His face”)” referring to the “Presence” and “Glory” of the Lord that Moses asked for and saw manifested in a Glory cloud in

Exodus 33:14-23 and 34:5-7

. And the “angel of His Presence” is then associated in the next verse,

Isaiah 63:10

, with “His Holy Spirit”:

Isa 63:9-10

(NIV)

In all their distress he too was distressed, and

the angel of his presence saved them.

In his love and mercy he redeemed them; he lifted them up and carried them all the days of old.

Yet they rebelled and grieved

his Holy Spirit.

So he turned and became their enemy and he himself fought against them. [boldface and italics mine]

We know that “the angel of His presence” does not mean that just one angel or archangel or even the Holy Spirit’s presence alone, led the Israelites through the wilderness. In fact, there were “thousands” of angels attending the presence of the God’s Spirit leading the Israelites from Mount Sinai to the Promised Land, according to

Deuteronomy 33:2-3

The Lord came from Sinai and revealed himself to Israel from Seir. He appeared in splendor from Mount Paran,

And came forth with

ten thousand holy ones (angels) . With his right hand he gave a fiery law to them.

Surely he loves the people; all your holy ones are in your power.

And they sit at your feet, each receiving your words.

(80 Old Testament scholars are virtually unanimous about the fact that the term “holy ones” of

Deut. 33:2 refers to angels, because the Septuagint, the 3 rd -to-2 nd century B.C. Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, translates the end of 33:2 as “on his right were his angels with him.” Dunn and Rogerson, express the common interpretation of this passage: “In the OT the ‘sons of God’ and the ‘ holy ones ’ . . . are the angels (see Gen 6:2 ; Deut 33:1 ; Job 38:7 ),” Dunn and Rogerson , Eerdmans Commentary of the Bible (Eerdmans, 2003), p. 379; F. M. Cross and D. N. Freedman argued that Yahweh came from Sinai with His retinue of angels, “The Blessing of Moses,” Journal of Biblical Literature 67 (1948): 198-199.)

In his article on the place of angels in contemporary theology, Dr. Lawrence Osborn points out that while Scripture "attributes all events ultimately to God . . . it recognises that many of those events are mediated through creaturely causes and agents." And listen to the witness of other biblical scholars about the close association of the Holy Spirit and the angels when God manifests His power and presence:

Both an angel of the Lord/God and the Spirit of the Lord/God play thus similar roles; as God’s divine agents in the Jewish Bible. . . . Likewise in Luke-Acts, the narrative role of the angel is sometimes presented as identical with that of the Holy Spirit. . . . The term angel(s)

of God found in Lk. 12.8, 9; 15.10; Acts 10.3; 27.23 (cf. Lk. 4.10 ) is also reminiscent of the Spirit of God in Acts 2.17, 18 .

The use of this kind of language and imagery is an essential element in the way the Old Testament speaks of God. He can ‘send’ his

ruach [ Spirit ], his angel , or his word . . . . In all of these, it is God himself who is present. They are so to speak extensions of his own being, means of his touching upon the affairs of Israel.

[boldface emphasis mine]

The majority of [NT references to leading angels] . . . occur in the Book of Revelation . . .

enopion tou Theou [before God, in the presence of God], i.e., as part of the divine manifestation and in execution of the divine will."

END QUOTE.

Thus I think that the absolute inability of man to understand the nature of GOD limits us.

• FuzzyPaul
    FuzzyPaul

Sorry about the font and its size. I must have used too many "clip and paste" operations.

Regards, Fuzzy

• Chalam
    Chalam

Looks like a good article, had a scan.

The essenence is in the opening which I whole heartedly agree with.

"IN THE beginning G-d created the heaven and the earth. Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of G-d hovered over the face of the waters.

The Watchtower can't allow for the Holy Spirit to be a cognizant person or one aspect of The Trinity would be validated. To contradict The Trinity requires disqualifying as many aspects of it as possible, to dig as deep a hole as possible for the student to climb out of. The Holy Spirit is intelligent, speaks, comforts, teaches, grieves, is sinned against (can one offend a force), convicts (of ones state of being an unredeemed sinner). To answer a question, "How can a person fill someone?, notice that many scriptures say that the Father was in him (Jesus ) and he was in the Father. NOT "in union" implying cooperation which is the Watchtower's idea and used in the New World Translation."

I asked the last two JWs who came to my house about being '"in Christ". It is mentioned nearly 100 times in the NT. They looked at me blankly. The deception they are under is insidious. The NWT is rotten to its core, just like the WT who "translated" it.

All the best,

Stephen

• FuzzyPaul
    FuzzyPaul

Can I fix my post somehow to get the font to be readable?

Regards,Fuzzy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit