E!Online: Will Michael Jackson's Funeral Be Jehovah's Witness—or Muslim?

by AudeSapere 21 Replies latest social current

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I had to do a doubletake. Seemed like a few threads from here on JWN...!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20090702/en_top_eo/132450

Will Michael Jackson's Funeral Be Jehovah's Witness—or Muslim?

Will Michael Jackson's Funeral Be Jehovah's Witness—or ...

Los Angeles (E! Online) – Weren't the Jackson family Jehovah's Witnesses ? How will that affect the funeral?

—Bet

Other fans are asking me similar questions, but instead wondering whether Michael Jackson's funeral may be Muslim. See, in 2007, his brother Jermaine Jackson told the media that Michael had shown interest in the religion, and there was brief speculation that Jackson converted from Jehovah's Witness to Islam.

Now, we know this: (a) There will be no memorial service at Neverland, (b) there might be some kind of Jackson-related event on Tuesday at the Staples Center, (c) his body is waiting at Forest Lawn cemetery in Los Angeles, and (d) there are signs of a private family service on Sunday, possibly the funeral.

However, of the two religions mentioned above, if the funeral is religious at all, it will probably swing toward...

Jehovah's Witness, the religion of Jackson's parents. Jackson himself was said to be an ardent Witness throughout most, if not all, of his life, and—unlike the Islam conversion stories—there are plenty of accounts to back that up. As late as four years ago, Jackson was publicly proclaiming his adherence to that faith, and he never publicly confirmed a conversion to Islam.

Jackson family friend Firpo Carr told CNN this week that Jackson once said "he wanted me to study the bible with him because he was raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses early in life, [and] he would want his children to be raised the same way."

In general, Witnesses believe that true Christians should remain separate from the world as much as possible and that the Bible is God's word. They also believe that a select 144,000 faithful will go to heaven to rule alongside Jesus Christ .

So what might M.J.'s funeral look like if it does follow Jehovah's Witness tradition?

Witnesses believe that nothing in a person survives death, including the soul. Wakes and directly addressing the dead person are both banned in Witness funerals. The services are relatively short at 15 to 30 minutes.

Jackson family attorney Brian Oxman has told a British tab that M.J. will be buried, not cremated, though the family has not officially confirmed or denied that. Most Witnesses are cremated or buried within three days of death, though there is no specific direction regarding time before interment.

In contrast, Muslims traditionally frown upon autopsies and bury their dead quickly, often within 24 or 48 hours of death. There is generally silence during the procession to the burial site, and the body is buried with the head facing toward Mecca .

Ask me anything on Twitter @answerbitch

··· THEY SAID WHAT? Get today's most commented stories now at www.eonline.com

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

1 vote for Muslim

.................OUTLAW

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

I vote for JW funeral. No way that mom is gonna let a "cult" in their world view, bury her son.

Yiz

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

My guess is neutral ceremony. Al Sharpton has already been counselling the family. Perhaps he will say a few words graveside??

I used to know the elders who were close to him back in the early/mid-90's before his separation from the org. One or two might be mellow enough to speak for the family but I'm sure it would cause trouble with the cong. Last I heard (been away for over 15 years) his B-I-L was still and elder.

So my guess is still: non-denominational service. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are likely to have already offered their services.

-Aude.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

That would sound reasonable as long as they don't use MJ as a platform to spew out their racist agenda. Sharpen very especially. God, he can't keep his mouth shut for once.

Yiz

• mouthy
    mouthy

On Larry King live last night his Brother said they had been brought up as JWS
    But avoided the actuel answer "WHAT WILL THE SEVICE BE!!" He said Micheal brought the world together
    with love so let us realize he will do the same in death....
    And repeated that it was Micheal that wrote "WE ARE THE WORLD"

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Here's my speculation:

There will be a private burial--family and close friends only. This will probably take place some time before the big spectacle next Tuesday. Sunday may be the day for the burial.

The big public "memorial" for Jackson on Tuesday will likely be 100% secular--basically a celebration of his music. I don't think Mrs. ("Sister") Jackson will allow Sharpton and Rev. Jesse to get up there and start preaching.

The interesting question to me is how the private burial service will be handled. Since MJ was an ex-witness, I don't see how an elder could get away with officiating over the burial...but you never know.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I don't understand the hubbub was there no ditch handy to throw this disease ridden pedophile trash into so he could just rot and be forgotten?

• dinah
    dinah

What could Al Sharpton possibly have to say? Whitey made Michael Jackson hate himself so much he turned into a white woman?

• choosing life
    choosing life

His brother also said that Allah gave Michael to the world and Allah has taken him back.

I don't know who they will have speak at the private funeral, but I don't imagine they can please everyone with the divided beliefs in the family.

If I was a betting person, I would wager that Katherine will have her way with a jw funeral.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit