Anybody remember a QFR on JW nurses tattling on blood transfusions?

by Open mind 24 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Open mind
    Open mind

I've looked on JWN (first) and Watchtower Library (second) and can't find a Questions from Readers that I thought I remembered from the 70s or 80s.

Maybe it wasn't actually a QFR. Anyway, the gist of the question was, what does a conscientious JW nurse do when, in the course of her duties, she becomes aware of a fellow JW who is accepting a blood transfusion or getting an abortion.

I thought I remembered the official direction was some typical WT Legal Dept double-speak which didn't explicity tell the JW nurse to rat out her fellow JW, but there was enough wink-and-nod language that a JW nurse with a good, sensitive, Bible-trained conscience would obey God as ruler rather than men and go running to the nearest JW kangaroo court.

Anybody else remember this or am I hallucinating?

More to the point, if a late-teens JW female who is not ready for marriage goes on the pill and the nosy JW medical assistant at the clinic finds out about it, should the medical assistant violate HIPAA and tell the illdoers? My purely hypothetical advice to my purely hypothetical daughter would be to find a different clinic before it becomes an issue.

Anyway, does anyone remember the WT giving at least tacit approval for JW medical professionals to violate patient confidentiality when "gross sin" (blech) is involved?

om

• nelly136
    nelly136

i think it was an article in the magazie as opposed to qfr, it has been posted here possibly under work ethics or confidentiality.

i expect someone else will remember where but i know its here somewheres

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I remember it. Would have been 80's or possible very early 90's.

I thought it was in the KM but I could be wrong.

It's been referenced on JWD within the past 2 years.

Blondie would know, pretty sure of it...!

-Aude.

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/38045/1/Jws-and-confedentiality think this one might narrow it down, if you search the site under nurse cofidentiality it brings up a few links too

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Here's a related thread from 5 years ago: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/72936/1/Confidentiality-at-the-Doctor-Dentist-Office

Scully has posted several articles on this subject too. In fact, I think it was a paper she wrote while working on a degree.

As to your question about your hypothetical daughter, YES! Switch before it is an issue. If anonimity is a strong concern, maybe consider using an alias??? Pay cash and use a different name. A JW can be hired at a later date and may go snooping through records potentially causing trouble.

Of course, in the hypothetical situation you presented, BC pills are prescribed for more than just prevention of pregnancy. So the mere fact that said daughter was on 'the pill' does not in and of itself prove that she is sexually active.

-Aude.

• AudeSapere
  • Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

I remember that article.

Mrs LoB works as an administrator at a local Hospital. There are at least two Witnoids locally who were fired and lost their nursing licence for doing just such a thing. Mrs. LoB, being a respector of privacy AND Federal law does not speak of the details of the cases (and she knows) so I cannot speak to the details.

HIPAA is enforced by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Dept. of Civil Rights and they do not fuck around with these things.

• Open mind
    Open mind

I love this place!

Thanks to Aude & all the rest.

Re-reading that article with the Borg-blinders removed is unbelievable.

om

• Open mind
    Open mind

Now I'm really curious.

You can legally refuse employment to an Orthodox Jew or 7th Day Adventist who won't work Saturdays, (I think).

Could a clinic refuse to hire JWs based on the possibility they may violate HIPAA privacy requirements?

om

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Could a clinic refuse to hire JWs based on the possibility they may violate HIPAA privacy requirements?

A good hypothetical question...

Can they even ask the question "What is your religion? " these days ?

If so, and the employer is aware of the potential, then surely he could emphasise the need for confidentially in all circumstances. Could not pose the question at the interview?

If the Witness confesses loyalty to the Borg as above patient confidentiality, then surely he could employ someone else. If the dub turned to one of the few, not supported by the WT, who would sue for discrimination, it would be very interesting how the Court would view it...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit