"Tobacco Control Act"

by inkling 17 Replies latest jw friends

• inkling
    inkling

Ok, so Obama just signed the "Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco
    Control Act" into law.

This law includes:

• Immediately, tobacco makers can no longer make claims that their products pose fewer health risks.

This seems fair. None of the "lighter" cigarettes have been shown to be safer whatsoever. People still get cancer, just in a deeper part of thier lungs, becuase in order to get the nicotine they need, the inhale deeper and longer.

• Within three months, candy- and fruit-flavored cigarettes are banned, and the FDA can extend that ban to cigars and moist snuff, where such flavorings are more common. Menthol is exempt.

Huh? Is there any actual evidence to suggest that only, or even primarily kids
    smoke "sweet" cigarettes? What, adults don't like candy and fruit too?

Has anyone here started smoking as a kid becuase of fruit flavored cigarettes?
    Are there any adult smokers here who prefer these flavors?

And, ban fruit flavored cigars??? But then how is one to disguise the taste of shitty weed?

• Within 15 months, tobacco companies must disclose the ingredients in their products.

This seems fair, considering that food products have been required to do this for a long time.
    Also, they use some disturbing stuff as additives, and the public should know. I would think it
    would be a serious problem if they had to start listing their flavorings used, as that seems like
    a legitimate trade secret.

• Within two years, the FDA must issue rules on graphic warrnings for cigarettes that will cover half the pack. The labels will take effect 15 months later.

Ug. I'm not a smoker, but even I can appreciate the atheistic appeal of smoking in particular situations.
    it's one of the only upsides TO smoking. How many iconic movie moments would be ruined by a character
    pulling out a pack of cigarettes with a cancer-ridden rotten teeth picture on it? Those half-pack photo
    warning labels are just scary ugly.

Yes, I know, that's the point. But in that case, why are beer bottles not required to show a car wrapped
    around a tree, or a failed liver on THEIR labels? Do we seriously think that kids that start smoking don't
    know the risk? If it was safe, it wouldn't be "cool"

Payne says the bill bans "light" or "ultra-light" cigarettes, which are slightly more than half the market, but it does not specify acceptable words for differentiating them from other cigarettes

This seems the oddest part to me... Ya, I know companies imply that a light cigarette is safer, and that
    is really sleazy. But nevertheless, safer or not, smoking a "light" cigarette is a different experience to
    smoking, say, an normal or unfiltered one, right? What ELSE are you going to call a cigarette which
    has less dense smoke due to a heavier filter and air holes?

Once again, I'm am torn between liberal and libertarian values. I feel the most akin to you wacky
    libertarians whenever I find a particularly absurd bit of Political Correctness in all its obtuse
    nanny-knows-best glory.

My problem being, I'm not sure how much of this bill falls into that category.

Help me out?

[inkling]

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

OK. Disclose disclose disclose. Cool. There is nothing liberal (in the evil modern sense) about that. Transparency and openness in a transaction are pretty libertarian, as far as I am concerned, aren't they?

No probs.

But the thing is, everyone already knows the risks, so really, is this going to be all that helpful anyway? Seriously?

BTS

• inkling
    inkling

You do know that picture is fake, right?

No matter, I get your point. Yeah Obama ("ocasionally") smokes. He started as a teen,
    and cites this as being one of the reasons he supports the bill. He says he feels it will
    help more young people avoid the trap he fell into, and is still struggling to get out of.

[inkling]

• m.seagull
    m.seagull

http://www.fakefags.co.uk/

• Within two years, the FDA must issue rules on graphic warrnings for cigarettes that will cover half the pack. The labels will take effect 15 months later.

• restrangled
    restrangled

As a 20 year smoker....I hope you listen to what I have to say.

I have tried to quit multiple times with patches...they are good for overseas airplane trips!!!!! thats it.

I smoke ultra lights....I don't know what that means but assumed it meant ultralight smoke, etc. I guess I was fooled.

Florida just instituted a 1.00 plus per pack tax on name brands which put a carton close to $50.00. (almost a $20.00 increase).

There was no way I was going to spend that much on cigarettes and the state already had that figured out. So they are now pushing cigs from the Indian reservations here called "Smoking Joes" (a special deal with the state) Cheaper than ever and you can't tell the difference. Problem is, they can barely keep up with the demand.

$19.50 per carton, tax included.

r.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    So they are now pushing cigs from the Indian reservations here called "Smoking Joes" (a special deal with the state) Cheaper than ever and you can't tell the difference.

John Doe and Priest love to smoke Joe's. They recently recommended it on a thread, if I recall.

BTS

• inkling
    inkling

also:

Cigarette-makers are forbidden to use color in ads in any publication whose readership is less than 85 percent adult. They are barred from using music in audio ads. They are not allowed to use pictures in video ads. They may not put product names on race cars, lighters, caps or T-shirts.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Cigarette-makers are forbidden to use color in ads in any publication whose readership is less than 85 percent adult. They are barred from using music in audio ads. They are not allowed to use pictures in video ads. They may not put product names on race cars, lighters, caps or T-shirts.

That's so retarded, why don't they have the balls to just ban it outright rather than this stupid BS? Idiots. Politicians, I hate the bastards. Losers. The way things are going, weed will be decriminalized but tobacco will be banned. This is all so funny.

BTS

• restrangled
    restrangled

The only way they can cut down on smoking is charge a $10.00 a pack tax. That would pay for a whole lot of health care......but no one has the nerve to do it.

Whimps.

r.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    John Doe and Priest love to smoke Joe's. They recently recommended it on a thread, if I recall.
    BTS

What do you mean?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit