Whitewater=Enron???

by Julie 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Julie
    Julie

Greetings to all,

Since we have so many right-leaning politically speaking posters, I was wondering what comments they might be willing to offer up on this column I caught this morning.

http://www.observer.com/pages/conason.asp

I am sure most of those who are quick to criticize anything that even remotely relates to Clinton are all Whitewater experts by now. I would enjoy reading what thoughts you may have on the parallels and even how Enron makes Whitewater look like a trip to the penny candy store.

Hoping some conservative can help me feel less screwed by my Republican administration,
    Julie

• Julie
    Julie

Here's the article:

Whitewater Critics Quiet About Enron
    by Joe Conason

While the implosion of Enron is almost as murky as the bankrupt company’s financing schemes, its self-dealing and scamming have evoked memories of other great business scandals, such as Teapot Dome and the South Sea Bubble. Whether or not those analogies ever prove to be justified, the most compelling political comparison for the moment is with another scandal that turned out, despite the investigative zeal of journalists, pols and prosecutors, to be more squib than bombshell: Whitewater.

Consider the stated purposes of the long, costly probe into that tiny, troubled land deal, as expressed in the final report of the Senate’s Special Committee to Investigate the Whitewater Development Corporation and Related Matters (Alfonse M. D’Amato, chairman). According to the report’s preface, its mission was to investigate "the complex web of intermingled funds, fraudulent transactions, political favors and conflicted relationships," all of them "woven together by common and recurring themes of abuse of power, fraud on federal institutions and theft of public funds, and frequent neglect, if not deliberate disregard, of professional, ethical, and at times, legal standards," including "clearly identifiable patterns of motivation, conduct and, at times, concealment."

If those damning phrases sound familiar, then perhaps you’ve been reading some of the better coverage of Enron in periodicals like Fortune, which concluded that even if no one ever goes to jail, "it feels as though a crime has been committed."

That question will be decided by the courts, which must determine whether Enron was sunk by "fraudulent transactions" as well as more mundane abuses of corporate authority. But there is no question that Enron’s corporate history is laden with "political favors" and "conflicted relationships" with leading figures in the White House, regulatory agencies and the Senate itself.

Those relationships extend well beyond the $2 million bestowed on the President and other politicians by Enron executives, or the substantial blocks of stock held by Bush appointees, or the formidable cadre of connected lobbyists, consultants and officials that make the White House resemble an Enron branch office.

One place to start untangling the Enron tale might be the moment in early 1993 when Bush appointees on the Commodity Futures Trading Commission voted to exempt energy traders from its anti-fraud regulations. The commissioner who initiated that convenient rule-making process, following a post-election request from Enron and several similar companies, was Wendy Gramm, wife of the Texas Senator. She left the CFTC just before the actual vote and, five weeks later, joined the Enron board of directors. This was merely a coincidence, as she and her benefactors in Houston later explained.

Coincidence or not, that decision pulled open the "regulatory black hole" in which Enron thrived and connived. It also represented the beginning of an unwholesome pattern that culminated earlier this year, when Enron’s generosity to the Bush-Cheney campaign evidently won its executives the right to choose their own regulators in Washington. (Meanwhile, those same strutting geniuses were unloading their watered-down stock into the pension portfolios of their unfortunate employees.)

The immediate justification for the Senate probe of Whitewater was that Madison Guaranty, the storefront savings-and-loan operated by small-time hustler James McDougal, had cost the government about $65 million in bailout funding. Setting that pitiful amount against the $60 billion or so that suddenly evaporated from Enron’s market capitalization–as Gene Lyons and Molly Ivins have noted–offers a way to chart the difference in magnitude. Yet so far, thanks to the "war on terrorism" and perhaps other, less patriotic factors, the level of public indignation is inverted; Enron seems to generate about one-tenth of 1 percent as much concern as Whitewater did.

The Justice Department and the Securities and Exchange Commission are examining Enron, of course, and various committees of Congress are also looking into the matter. Their approach, however, is strangely desultory and deferential. Enron founder and chief executive Kenneth Lay blew off an invitation to appear before a House committee the other day, prompting an audible yawn from the same media outfits that screamed incessantly about "the Whitewater scandal" year after year. Those excitable editorialists at The Wall Street Journal have dismissed Enron’s problems as an example of "bad accounting."

Imagine the outcry if, instead of providing a million pages of documents to the Senate Whitewater Committee, the Clinton White House had withheld all relevant papers. That is precisely what Vice President Dick Cheney has done to date, in response to requests from the House Government Reform Committee about private meetings that he and his energy task force held with Enron executives.

And imagine what Mr. Lay might have said to Mr. Cheney and Larry Lindsey, the former Enron consultant who now serves as the President’s chief economic advisor, during those secret sessions.

You’ll have to imagine, at least for now, because the Vice President and his cronies aren’t talking–and because nobody in the media is even asking.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Where are all those who were so Outraged over Whitewater??? Apparently not here. How sad.

Julie

• closer2fine
  • Julie
    Julie

lol Closer, good one.

Really what I am getting at though is the heated debates we have been subjected to here, all those righties lining up throwing eggs at Clinton and gloating cause this "war on terror" has been GW's debutant ball and all. Well let's put the war aside and talk domestics shall we?

What do all you Bush and/or Republican supporters have to say about this Enron mess and the nasty implications about some in this administration? Seems you all go quiet if we aren't talking terrorism or Clinton. Or perhaps Rush hasn't yet covered this particular debacle so those who get their info there cannot yet comment?

Wondering,
    Julie, who marvels at the apathy in America

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Julie: You may recall that I am a Conservative Republican. Yes, of course, if Vice President Cheney, or President Bush or others in their administration have been involved in crimes, then they need to be held accountable, brought to justice, and if guilty, prosecuted.

Nothing in your post, and quoted material have proven anything, other than allegations, so far. (Although I can see your eagerness to see them involved so you can gloat) But, I believe that if the Vice President has information, it should be turned over to the authorities investigating Enron.

In my engineering days, I worked for companies that did business with Enron, which eventually bought Portland General Electric where I worked for them at Trojan Nuclear Plant. I also worked with Halburton-NUS and audited a subsidary of theirs, where VP Cheney was an executive. While none of my experience brought me into contact with any of these people or issues, I do understand the stresses in the energy industry, the market realities vs the various controls by State Public Utility Commissions. The California energy crisis is an example of both foolish regulation and how those regulations allowed market greed and stupidity to dominate. So, it is no surprise to me if some in the current administration were or still are behind fighting those silly regulations, and in so doing, may have crossed the line from proper political policy, and getting their hands stuck in the proverbial "cookie jar."

The Difference: between Conservatives and Liberals is that Conservative admit when their party needs to be investigated and if found guilty, prosecuted. This was true when Republican Vice President Spiro Agnew was forced to resign and was prosecuted; and then then later President Nixon was forced to resign. Republicans, Conservatives would not tolerate it, and joined Democrats in bringing down the Republican Administration by 1974.

Liberal Democrats, on the other hand, live in constant denial, and that is why they stood by thier man, Bill Clinton, as he lied in court, allowed national security information to be heard, documented, and spread by an Intern, allowed communist Chinese to illegally donate to his campaign, and then allowed the communists Chinese steal nuclear secrets in return, and spent more time haveing his penis sucked and spreading his semen on Monica than doing the people's business. Instead, Liberals whinned and bled their hearts for their man, making excuses for thier leader, and fought it all tooth and nail.

So, if Bush and Cheney have done wrong, or seemingly so, then investigate it, and prosecute if needed. That is the response of one who likes Bush and Cheney, voted for them, and who sticks to Conservative views and values.

That is also why the Republican Party has more trouble holding together ... why? ... because Conservative Republicans will admit error, and turn on their own leaders who screw up ... but Democrats hold together no matter how insulting and criminal their leaders are ... Liberal Democrats are much like JWs who defend the Governing Body no matter how much evidence their is to show they need to be removed from office.

Thanks for a good post, and bringing out the Enron issue. I will follow it closely, and if the time comes that requires Bush and/or Cheney to step upo to the accountability platform, then I will be there as a Conservative Republican to insist that they face it, and be held to justice. - Amazing

• dubla
    dubla
    What do all you Bush and/or Republican supporters have to say about this Enron mess and the nasty implications about some in this administration? Seems you all go quiet if we aren't talking terrorism or Clinton.

i support the actions against terrorism 100%.....the fact of the matter is, if gore was in office right now, he would be in the same mess, and probably take very similar if not the identical actions against terrorism that bush has. (dont forget, the house and senate, republicans and democrats, are in FULL agreement on this one). that being said, i would support these same actions 100% if it were gore fighting the war. why does terrorism have to be a party line debate? i dont think it is.

aa

• larc
    larc

Julie,

I agree with Amazing's comments. When I was younger, I was a Democrate and anti-business, until I moved higher in the business environment and saw how it worked. Also, I became less confident in government solutions as time went on. Today, I am a Ruplican, if that wasn't obvious already.

Regarding Enron: In yesterday's USA Today, I read that for the past three years, the executives have been quietly selling their company stock while encouraging their employees to put all their retirement money into company stock. As a result, many lost their life savings and are devastated, especially the older workers who have no time to recoup.

Now, if this is found to be true, then I think these executives should do jail time and lots of it.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

My counterpart in Houston has/had Enron as a client and had many contacts within the organization. Some of the stories he's heard from the older employees are absolutely heartbreaking! One lady was with the company for decades and was ready to retire summer of 2002. Now she has no retirement fund whatsoever. I'm with you Larc. If these execs are proven guilty, then I hope they die penniless.

Andi

• Lionel_P_Hartley
    Lionel_P_Hartley

larc,

Although, it surely must be admitted that the Republicans are into government solutions - look at the airline bailout. Why not just have let the inefficient ones go under? After all, there are efficient operators who are being shut out of certain airports - jetBlue for instance. It is a huge myth that the Republicans are against big government - they're simply in favor of applying government solutions to a different group of people, or so it seems to me.

LPH

• Infrared
    Infrared

Hey Julie,
    Republican, Democrat is all the same. Clinton got major contributions from Enron, and was very involved in there overseas projects during his administration. They are all whores of lobbyist and big money. I dont necessarily lean either way, but I am glad Bush is handling this war and not Gore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit