Brag about your garage sale, thrift shop, e-bay bargain finds thread

by FlyingHighNow 39 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Wow, that is the medical kit to end all toy medical kits.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I am the QUEEN of bargan finds in my family

Best buys this year

• a walker for $50. Then bought a second one from a neighbor so I have 1 for Montreal and another for Ottawa
    • Same store - I had been looking for a winter coat for the longest time. Several criteria were essential - LONG very long because when I sit in the wheelchair it goes up in the front so a calf-length coat becomes knee-length when sitting down. Went into the local seconds store and found THE perfect wool coat for $7.99. Then noticed the signs - All winter wear 50% off - got the coat for $4.00 Absolutely nothing wrong with it and in perfect condition
    • Was wandering through another store and found a bath-hand rail - regular price $70.00 Got that for $4.00
    • I usually pick up odd bits of material and one day was in the the second store and found twp bits of material in a light blue and dark blue. They matched well and both have some kind of waterproof backing on them. I had no idea what I would do with them but bought them for $5.99 each. In the same store at another time I found an old wheelchair raincape. These are unique to wheelchair users. They have a shirt to-the-waist back and a long floor length front so that when you sit down your knees and legs are covered. it was a really ugly faded orange color but it was the first I had seen one. On the net they sell for $40 - 170. I paid $7.99. Took it home and went Hmmmmmmm Laid it out on the floor and took my 2 bits of material and viola - a pattern. Cut it out and made an awesome cape/ People stop me everywhere and comment on it. They are shocked I made it. I went to a fabric store and bought some fleece and made a liner for it (most expensive part. I sure am toasty warm in it. Since then I have picked up more material so I will be making more capes. Might even try to sell a few.
    • Was looking through the curtains and found a set of curtains large enough to cover my entire sunroom - 12 feet of window - for $20.00
    • Last year went into the first store and saw a small cabinet on wheels that would be perfect for my knitting and crochet materials. Only thing wrong with it was the front on one drawer was broken. Paid $9.99 for it and had the clerk put it on my lap so I could "drive" it home. Put one screw on the drawer and got a great place to store my equipment.
    • My daughter has started a little cake business and I have found all kinds of tools, cake pans and equipment for pennies

As you see I could go on and on. I'm always looking for a bargain. Sometimes I see something and am not sure what I will do with it but I know something will come of it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Aunt Bee, my kids and grandson love to thrift shop. That book does sound creepy. Cool about the Risk Game. I bet you could have gotten bucks for it on e-bay I guess my saying should be:

My philosophy is either expensive or looks expensive for little or nothing.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This is actually what I do to make money to eat and live. I buy and sell books. I've been doing it a few years now and it works out good. I buy at the places you mention and another couple of places besides. I sold 12 books today for £185 in total. I paid £23.50 for them in total. This is a fairly typical day. The best single find I have had so far was a book I bought for 50p and sold for £425.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Lady Lee, that is amazing about the rain cape and fabric. The knitting cabinet, too. All of it. This is fun, hearing about all of your treasures.

Right now we are having a thunderstorm. I know, I know, I should turn off the computer. It's free, magical entertainment.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Slim, where do you sell your books?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In order: Amazon, ABE, Biblio and (sometimes) eBay.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Wow I want that Risk game!!!

Slimboy that is so cool. I have a friend whose father has been buying and selling rare books for years. Very interesting life, he travels the world looking for books.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I have some used books in my trunk of my car.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Slimboy that is so cool. I have a friend whose father has been buying and selling rare books for years. Very interesting life, he travels the world looking for books.

The books I sell are more academic/utilitarian/special interest than rare and collectible. I travel around local Scottish towns looking for books. But you never know maybe someday the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit