Lord of the Rings

by think41self 50 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Funkyderek: my wild guess would be that Tom Bombadil is left out of the movie. Am I right?

Yep, but you can't have everything!

--
    "The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794.

• think41self
    think41self

Good morning all,

Yes they left certain parts out of the movie that were in the book...if they hadn't the movie would have been 21 hours long?

But as a whole, the movie follows the book very closely. It was so exciting seeing the imagination of Tolkien brought to life. I wonder if he would have liked to see the movie? And Legolas is one hot elf WOOHOO! I'd go live in a tree with him. Enjoy the movie gang...I can't wait for the next one, do you think they'll make us wait a whole year before they release the 2nd one? I hope not.

think41self

Holy Flying Screaming Buddha, Batman!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Joseph; good call... I'd figured out that he'd be possibly the hardest element in the first book to incorporate, and am not surprised he didn't make it to screen.

I mean, he's possibly the most ambiguous character in the entire cycle... a sort of not-God god who has gone into semi-permanant retirement.

Did anyone ever read 'Bored of the Rings'? Dildo Bugger? Tom Benzadrine?

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

My son and a bunch of his friends went last night. He echos your
    comments - excellent.

• dubla
    dubla

oh man, i really wanted to see it last night, but circumstances didnt permit......definitely going on friday though.

aa

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

There is a couple with whom I have been friends for over 30 years, and we have a long-standing tradition of chinese restaurant and a movie on Christmas Day. They are JW's, but are very disillusioned with the Society, and I, of course, am out. Unlike most JW's though, they are true friends, in that they value their relationship with me enough not to let Watchtower rules interfere. Anyway, we have decided to maintain the tradition, even though I am celebrating Christmas this year. My wife's family usually has their gift exchange on another day, and we can do whatever we do on Christmas eve here at home. On Christmas Day, my wife and I will drive the 3 hours to see my friends, have Chinese dinner and see "Lord of the Rings". And we are all looking forward to it enormously.

Tom
    "The truth was obscure, too profound and too pure; to live it you had to explode." ---Bob Dylan

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I walked out 45 minutes into it. Call me a purist, but Jesus Christ they dropped too much and mixed too much together.

It was like watching my dog killed in front of me. I even knew that they were "expanding" Arwen's role in the movie but when she put the sword to Strider's neck in the woods, I wanted to puke.

Now every review I read and every posting I see, everyone is raving about it. I saw good things, like Gandalf, but I think that I'm going to have to have a couple of drinks and try it again.

I hope that I'm just being picky.

Slipnslidemaster:"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
    - Oscar Wilde

• ISP
    ISP

Looking forward to seeing this flic...not sure I will take the kids..though!

ISP

• think41self
    think41self

Hey ISP,

My kids are 15 and 16, and have read the books. Not sure I would take young ones to it, might be some scary scenes for them.

Slip...you purist you I thought they took very little poetic license with things, but that's just my opinion. Even if you haven't read the books, I would think this a great adventure film. Maybe in your case, you would have enjoyed the movie if you hadn't read the books,

think41self

Holy Flying Screaming Buddha, Batman!

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Great movie, I thought it was very true to the book within the limits of what they can do with a movie. Sure there was a little sop to romance, but you can actually get that out of one of the Appendixes to the book about the relationship between Aragorn and Arwen.

Yeah, I've read Bored of the Rings, I liked it as well, especially the ballhog from Villanova.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit