Ugly cars!

by crapola 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

The era of American car designs of the 50's and 60's was very exciting for a teenage boy growing up in Southern California. Mfgs made major style changes every year and it seemed the sky was the limit in outrageous designs and power. All my peers and I loved cars and would argue endlessly over which was the best looking or fastest. I owned a two tone (copper and cream) '57 Olds '98 with green brocade interior. 350 hp! It must have been close to a ton and a half and would snap your head back when you punched it. Gas was .45 cents a gallon.

• crapola
    crapola

Gregor,, I like that car! They don't make em like that anymore.

• John Doe
    John Doe

350 hp! It must have been close to a ton and a half and would snap your head back when you punched it. Gas was .45 cents a gallon.

More like two tons I'd wager. My '94 Camaro weighs 3,392 pounds--well over a ton and a half.

• compound complex
    compound complex

http://www.classicroad.com/1959Buick Having problems with posting - cannot copy or make links clickable. But you must check out the '59 Buick. Had that pictured '61 Valiant. Great little slant 6. CoCo

• crapola
    crapola

If you want to see a classy little car and woman, view Mouthy's latest post. It's fantastic!

• Gregor
    Gregor

CoCo.

The early 60's Chrysler Corp slant six engine is legendary. For a company that tended to turn out poorly built cars it is surprising that it was developed by them...(The G-engine gained an enviable reputation for reliability and nearly unstoppable durability. The basic engine design incorporates much heavy-duty engineering, in part because the engine was designed from the start to be made of either iron or aluminum: The block is of a deep-skirt design, with the crankshaft axis well above the oil pan rails for structural rigidity. Although only four main bearings are used, they are of the same dimensions as those in the Hemi. Very efficient cooling and lubrication systems, a favorable rod ratio, and an extremely strong forged steel crankshaft (on engines made through mid-1976) all contributed to the engine's apparent indestructibility. In addition, the G-engine also provided better performance than most of its competition in the 1960s and 1970s. By the 1980s, the G-engine had been effectively strangled by continual addition of increasingly-restrictive exhaust emission control devices, without upgrades to the combustion chamber design, piston displacement or induction system, all of which were by that time quite antiquated. G-engine use in passenger cars was rapidly phased out in the early 1980s as Chrysler Corporation shifted to front wheel drive architecture). Here's your '59 Buick

• compound complex
    compound complex

Gregor:

How good of you! Thanks much for the info on my Valiant [which I sold - STUPID move on my part] and the photo of the '59 Buick.

I can post properly again so I'm going to try a photo of what drove past me yesterday.

Many, many thanks, Gregor.

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

1959 Buick Invicta Hardtop Coupe

A '59 Buick Invicta passed by yesterday on the highway ...

• crapola
    crapola

Cars were sooo big back then. It would be like driving a tank.

• compound complex
    compound complex

1957 Buick Series 75 Roadmaster

Crapola:

Of the half-dozen or so tanks - or "tuna boats" that I owned - this was the prettiest. It doesn't belong here, IMHO.

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit