The Watchtower Didn't Make Me An Atheist

by B_Deserter 111 Replies latest jw experiences

• Elemental
    Elemental

Back to what I was saying and that is that at the time Christians did not accept Christ because they were simply told to believe. They accepted it on the idea that people had seen Jesus rise and it is this testimony that I find a strong evidence for Christianity.

There are writings about different gods and goddesses such as the Poetic Edda which involves Odin and Thor to the Book of the Dead in Egypt but most of them from what I have read are vague. Even accounts such as with Siddhartha Gautama who was a real person are rather general in nature.

But the point is in all of the cases that I have seen; I have never observed the same level of correlative testimony as I have in the writing of the Bible as virtually all of the accounts have at least one other person confirming them. Granted this is not the only evidence but it is a strong one as it simply does not exist in any other literature that I have encountered.

A good example of this is the Book of Mormon where in 3 Nephi Jesus is said to have raised someone from the dead. It is an impressive account but nowhere is the in any other location in the book. In fact there is no collaborative witness testimony in either this or the Koran. Further I have not see any literature that this is the case other than the Bible.

The person who tries to rationalize this away brings up more problems than they solve. For on the one hand scholars believe that the accounts are so similar that writers are copying from each other while on the other hand many atheists believe that the writers were so contradictive in the accounts that they are false. This only to me proves that they were not copying each other for if they were why are the contradictions there in the first place? Would these have not been removed or rather not been added at all? If Luke and Matthew were copying from Mark then which was borrowing their lineage of Jesus when there is no lineage of Jesus in Mark at all? Why were they different seeing as there is no lineage of Jesus in Mark's account? In addition Mark's account of the resurrection ends with the women running in fear and that is the end of it. In the case of Matthew and Luke neither one borrows from the other and Mark's account does not cover either story. So where were they getting this information from? Thus both sides of the issue are less than satisfactory.

My point is that as you can see unless you wish to invent a conspiracy from inside of your head, there really is no getting around the idea that these people were NOT copying each other and that the witness testimony is genuine. You could try to say that they were not written by the people whose names appear on the Gospels but the internal evidence of each book does not support this. It would take too long to explain at the moment however.

• superpunk
    superpunk

Elemental:

Today it is a fairly common practice for students to lift essays or other papers off the internet to submit to their teachers, passing it off as their own work.

Teachers are aware of this practice, and are able to do some searching to find out if their students were cheating.

In an attempt to avoid getting caught, and still do as little work as possible, the student may change certain parts of the essay or paper, in order to make it seem like his own work. It remains the same basic message and outline, but there are certain differences that make it seem like individual authorship.

Your argument for the validity of the gospels above is an argument based on the assumption that the differences in the account lend themselves to it's validity. If you are allowing that argument from assumption, then you MUST concede that the opposite assumtption is just as likely - that the differences in the gospel lend themselves to it being a farce.

Great thread, B. I really enjoyed reading it.

• Elemental
    Elemental

So where did I say the Bible says that Christianity is irrational? Read my statement again. I say that he or she may feel. While I agree with you that faith is an inherently irrational thing, and that the Bible says that faith is needed, where exactly did I make the claim otherwise? I think you have to admit that there are some Christians who believe the Bible and Christianity are indeed completely rational. Just look at Answers In Genesis and the Institute for Creation Research. I don't see how you can think there aren't a lot of Christians who believe that their religion is rational, regardless of what the Bible says.

The flaw in your reasoning is this idea that faith in the Bible means "acceptance without proof" when the word means acceptance based off of factual evidence. There is no idea of the notion in the Bible of belief without proof. All of the writers said that Christains were not to accept simply based off of invented stories.

2 Pe

16 We did not follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 For he received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." [a] 18 We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.

So this idea you have of the Christains accepting without evidence is false as it is not in the Bible at all.

Surely you don't believe every single ancient myth (pardon my term) out there do you? If so, then what is your criteria for telling fact from fantasy? Does writing something down in a book automatically make it true for you?

Of course not no more than I would accept anyone to do this. And you are correct in saying that just writing something down does not make it true.

However, if the writers are saying that they saw something that happened, either they are liars or are telling the truth. In such case the myth could be fact.

True, but that doesn't mean that I have to believe something because it was written in a book a long time ago. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. I am not claiming that Zeus never existed, I am rejecting the claims by others that he existed due to lack of evidence. When I say "there is no God," I don't mean that I absolutely positively know to an absolute certainty that he doesn't exist, I mean that I am as certain as I can be about anything that I see no compelling evidence for one. I cannot be absolutely certain that Santa Claus doesn't exist, nor can I be certain the Easter Bunny doesn't either. But I am certain they don't in a practical sense, as much as I can be certain about anything.

It one thing to accept the easter bunny and santa claus when people confess the story is made up. It is quite another to reject an idea when the person says they truthfully observed an event. If witness testimony is something you do not adhere to then you better never accept anything you hear in a courtroom.

My not believing in God requires no evidence. YOU are the one who is making the assertion that he does exist, therefore YOU are the one who has the burden of proof, not me. I am simply saying that I don't believe you. If I were to claim that there is an invisible gnome, undetectable by any human means living in my stomach, would you have the burden of proof to disprove it and automatically believe me because you couldn't? Or, would it be my responsibility to provide evidence if I wanted to convince others of it?

So what you just admitted to is that you go by a double standard in the fact that you simply just believe that God does not exist. Tell me exactly how is that any different than the person who says I believe in God even though I have no evidence? Why are you telling everyone this when it is just your opinon? You are enitiled to it but frankly it is rather contradictive to call Chirstains arrogant when you go by the same criteria they do and yet insist that if God answers back it is insanity. You claim Christians are arrogant or insanefor thinking God answers their prayers but then tell me you need no proof for your beliefs? After all it could be that God just did not go to you.

Where in the Bible does it support the idea that Zeus and Thor were real? You're making a leap between the Nephilim and the Greek Gods. You have no compelling evidence to support that belief, either, and you're condemning ME?

I did not say that I had compelling evidence only that I do not dismiss the idea. I said that it is logically impossible to dismiss this idea entirely.

Again, I don't need proof not to believe in something that has no proof. I simply don't accept it because I haven't seen compelling evidence? I am making no assertions, you are. You are claiming that something exists, and it is your responsibility (if you want other people to believe it) to provide proof.

Please. You mean that you don't want to BOTHER to find out.

A myth can very well mean a false story. The academic definition of a word is not the only definition. I still use the word theory when referring to an idea or a guess, but I understand that it has a different meaning in an academic setting. This forum is not an academic setting and therefore am using the colloquial meaning. You're trying to distract the topic at hand by being pedantic.

And you implied that all myth is false. As I have said not all myth is false. You can say that you feel that myth is false but you cannot say that it is false.

2 Timothy 3:16: "All scripture is inspired of God and beneficial..." Again, you're being pedantic, pointlessly splitting hairs over semantics. You cannot ignore the fact that many Christians DO believe that the Bible is the word of God. The Bible says that it is inspired of God, that God cannot lie. Therefore it presents itself as the message of God.

Incorrect observation on your part. This is not pointlessly splitting hairs as inspired can have a number of meaings. You assumed that the one that you were using was correct much like most of your arguments that you used. If that is not the case then please show me where it states that God said the book was infallible? It states that he breathed on the writers to wriite about him but write what in what way?

I do not believe there is a God because there is no compelling evidence for his existence. I do not believe something simply because it cannot be disproven, otherwise I would believe everything everybody said all the time. That course is not an advantageous one.

The no complelling evidence you discribe happens to be all of creation around you. If you are too ignorant to see its complexity that is your problem not mine.

Here you are creating another straw man argument. Where did I argue that because the Bible contradicts itself that it must mean God doesn't exist? Where? You're blinded by your assumptions about atheists. Your Titanic example is flawed for a few reasons. 1) A shipwreck is something that happens all the time, and is not a miraculous claim, therefore it's easy to believe that a ship called the Titanic sank in 1912. 2) There is physical proof of the Titanic sinking. Newspapers all over the world at the time reported on it. There are eyewitnesses (up until recently living eyewitnesses I believe). There is the ACTUAL SHIP at the bottom of the Atlantic and there is VIDEO FOOTAGE of the ship before and after it sank.

Actually that tape of the ship is fake and the witnesses are all liars. It is one thing to say that a witness testmony is false it is another thing to prove it is.

There is evidence that those events happened and that is the Apostles seeing those events but you choose to ignore this. That is an assumption on your part. So I AM the one that has the burden of proof as I have the Apostles saying they saw this man resurrected. It is now up to YOU to prove that they were lying and so far you have done a very poor job doing it.

If someone told me a ship called the Titanic sank in 1912, grew fins and danced a hula all the way down to the bottom and now lives as an invisible celestial shark that we all must worship, but there were no corroborating records for it, no video footage, no eyewitnesses, no newspaper clippings, then yes I would have trouble believing it. I wouldn't believe it until that person brought me better evidence for it. The Jesus story was written by those who CLAIM to be eyewitnesses almost 2,000 years ago. No contemporary records exist at the time (and don't bring up Josephus, either. The mentions of Jesus were forgeries added by Christians hundreds of years after the fact) The authorship of Matthew at least is very debatable, considering the fact that here was a supposed eyewitness using other gospels as source material. Unfortunately for you I have put some basic study into that issue, and not just from "Atheists suck and the Bible r00lz University."

There is outside testmony for Jesus of Nazereth, by plenty of historians. Celsus for example says that Jesus existed and did the miricles. The problem is that you REJECT this testimony becuase it is not what you want to hear. The authorship of Matthew is a good example as Papias who knew the Apostles says that Matthew wrote the Gosple bearing his name. But you reject this becuase you just do not want to hear it. If I am wrong then please bring forth this evidence from the person who knew the Apostles that says that Matthew DID NOT write it.

Again, more pointless hair-splitting. Oh my God I was wrong about who authored Acts. So what? Are you saying it really did matter to me? Can you read my mind? Who's going to win next year's Super Bowl?

I love when people do this. The point is that you did not know what you were talking about. If you are going to state a fact you better be prepared to be "called on the carpet" for it. It is not hair splitting if you misquote them.

If you read the book and found proof in the book that God was behind it, good for you. I need more than that. I don't simply accept every wild claim written down in a book at face value, as you apparently have the habit of. I think that using the Bible as its own proof is circular logic. You can't use the subject in question as proof of its own conclusion.

Just as acccepting the accounts of Alexander the Great by historans is circular logic right? Again I do not accept the book because the book says that it is inspired of God rather because it was written by people who were there during the events and you wern't. Get me someone as a reference that was there during the events that said they did not happen and we'll talk. So far the only thing that you have brought me is the very circular logic that you accuse me of. After all does "My not believing in God requires no evidence." ring a bell?

Well, I'm not impressed with you, either. You've brought nothing to the table, here. Just theist arrogance.

Theistic arrogance would require having no proof and still stating that it is fact. I have proof in the writings of the Apostles. I have proof in the complexity of all creation. I have proof in the writings of Josephus, and others. I have proof. You however have fail to bring forth one shred of evidence that these men were lying other than "Well, my beliefs require no proof." Funny, but the only one who seems to have "brought nothing to the table" here is you.

Again when you actually get off of your rear and show me this evidence at the time that the Apostles were liars then we'll talk. Until then spare me your opinion.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Speak out of your rear end again and I am simply going to ignore you.

You're verbally abusive and argumentative (code words for "not worth my time"). I'd enjoy it if you'd ignore me. Thanks in advance.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I know plenty of atheists who were never Jehovahs' Witnesses. LOL I doubt it is a prerequisite for that mindset.

I tried some agnosticism for a few years, but it doesn't work so well for me. I'd love to investigate the brain differences between people who have no need for belief and those who do. I'd be willing to bet that there is some essential difference.

I'm prone to mystical experiences, which is one of the main reason I believe in God. I talk to him, I get answers back in many ways, sometimes in very lucid dreams or when I'm meditating/praying, the answers come to me, seemingly out of nowhere. (No, I don't hear voices telling me to do crazy things.) It's as simple as that. It's a purely subjective experience and very hard to explain in words.

I'm even willing to accept that it's a form of craziness, but if so, it's a very common one. More likely I do believe it's just some essential mental difference.

What's interesting to me is that Witnesses seem to attract people who otherwise would be atheists or agnostics. Perhaps their lack of mysticism and the claim that all their teachings can be proven by logical means is what causes that.

The mystical experiences I've had all my life frightened me as a Witness. They offer no explanation for these things except for demons or demonic possession. Upon reflection, it's odd that JWs refuse to acknowledge ANY individual supernatural experiences except demonic ones isn't it? Other faiths allow that a supernatural experience can be of Godly origin, but not Witnesses.

I appreciate atheism, though, even though it's not for me. I think it creates an essential balance in the world. Religion, belief, spirituality are powerful forces, perhaps atheism is there to keep them in check. Although I know atheists who have their own sort of spirituality, because spirit (not Holy Spirit) is common to all humans, and animals. It's just the force that causes us to be alive. I believe it comes from God, but regardless of origin, every thing living possesses it.

• Elemental
    Elemental

Elemental:

Today it is a fairly common practice for students to lift essays or other papers off the internet to submit to their teachers, passing it off as their own work.

Teachers are aware of this practice, and are able to do some searching to find out if their students were cheating.

In an attempt to avoid getting caught, and still do as little work as possible, the student may change certain parts of the essay or paper, in order to make it seem like his own work. It remains the same basic message and outline, but there are certain differences that make it seem like individual authorship.

Your argument for the validity of the gospels above is an argument based on the assumption that the differences in the account lend themselves to it's validity. If you are allowing that argument from assumption, then you MUST concede that the opposite assumtption is just as likely - that the differences in the gospel lend themselves to it being a farce.

Great thread, B. I really enjoyed reading it.

Depends on the differences. In the case of the Gospels those differences are minor (sometimes major such as in the case of the lineage of Jesus Christ) However, I have yet to see someone give me a valid argument as to why in the case with the Gospels the stories are false because of them. Exactly what in the Gospels is so contradictive that they are impossible to be true? Indeed I would expect if writers were truly writing independent of each other that there would be some differences. It is the scholars and atheists who are contradictive in their conclusions for one side says that the Gospels copied from each other and the other side says that they are too contradictive for this to be the case.

Given the above contradiction or that one Gospels says one angel was there at the tomb while the other says two I would say that the scholars and atheists have a bigger problem on their hands.

Speak out of your rear end again and I am simply going to ignore you.

You're verbally abusive and argumentative (code words for "not worth my time"). I'd enjoy it if you'd ignore me. Thanks in advance.

You’re Welcome rebel8 as you don't seem to have a response to anything I stated anyway. By the way, you might want to read what Freud said about a cigar sometimes being just a cigar.

I am out of responses for today as I have reached the limit one what I can post. So I will not be able to respond the rest of the day.

Theist arrogance that only a technical, 10-comment forum limitation can bridle?

Please place me on your ignore list, Elemental.

Incredible, I am called arrogant and people say they have no need to prove their beliefs but Christians have to. If creating a standard that you hold others to that you do not is not the epitome of arrogance then I don't know what is.

You want to hear about arrogant? How about a group of people who claim Christiains are delusional while coming up with evidence from their imagination and then when they are called out on it they wave their arm around without needing to justify their case? Then when they are presented that evidence presume to say it is all imaginary without backing the case up with fact? Then when I ask them to justify it they say things like "Please place me on your ignore list, Elemental."

So far not one of you has been able to state WHY I am wrong. But you know what, I am out of here for today as this will do no good.

Since you cannot not stand not having the last word, you may now have it.

Post a reply ...

You have already made 10 post(s) in the last 24 hours out of your limit of 10.
    You cannot start another until your oldest post expires 6/17/2009 11:18:00 AM.

Close

Confirm ...

• rebel8
    rebel8
    What's interesting to me is that Witnesses seem to attract people who otherwise would be atheists or agnostics. Perhaps their lack of mysticism and the claim that all their teachings can be proven by logical means is what causes that.

I've wondered why too, and that's the best explanation for it I've ever heard.

Do you have any hypothesis as to why jws are especially skilled at turning a polite, civil debate/exchange of ideas into an argument?

• superpunk
    superpunk

Elemental: However, I have yet to see someone give me a valid argument as to why in the case with the Gospels the stories are false because of them. Exactly what in the Gospels is so contradictive that they are impossible to be true? Indeed I would expect if writers were truly writing independent of each other that there would be some differences.

I was not arguing that they were false. I was simply trying to point out the error in your assumption that such discrepancies proves they are true.

If you are working in conjunction with other authors to try and write several allegedly "eye-witness" accounts, no doubt the best way to convince people that you weren't working together would be to intentionally insert minor differences in the story, so they don't look like exact replicas - much like the student who plagiarized an essay from the internet.

I am not arguing that is what was done. What I am saying is that you are arguing from assumption - and if you do that you have to allow for assumptions BOTH ways, not just in the direction that coincides with your preconcieved idea.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    There is no idea of the notion in the Bible of belief without proof.

This idea runs contrary to what MOST of my Christian friends believe. However, my Fundamentalist friends would agree with you.

I would like to recommend Daniel M. Taylor's, "The Myth of Certainty". The book is written by a believer and he asks and answers some great questions.

Product Description
    Do you resent the smugness of closed-minded skepticism on the one hand but feel equally uncomfortable with the smugness of closed-minded Christianity on the other?

If so, then The Myth of Certainty is for you. Daniel Taylor suggests a path to committed faith that is both consistent with the tradition of Christian orthodoxy and sensitive to the pluralism, complexity and relativism of our age.

The case for the questioning Christian is made with both incisive analysis and lively storytelling. Brief fictional interludes provide an alternate way of exploring topics at hand and vividly depict the real-life dilemmas reflective Christians often face.

Taylor affirms a call to throw off the paralysis of uncertainty and to risk commitment to God without forfeiting the God-given gift of an inquiring mind. Throughout he demonstrates clearly how much the world and the church need question askers.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Please. You mean that you don't want to BOTHER to find out.

Theist arrogance that only a technical, 10-comment forum limitation can bridle?

Please place me on your ignore list, Elemental.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit