I was asked to leave the table...an incredible shunning experience

by JustHuman14 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Reniaa said:

"They were wrong to ask you to leave, this is not what the gb or bible would advocate, they should access whether they themselves are socialling with you and leave or stay themselves. this shouldn't involve any action on your part."

Get real, sister. The GB would LOVE to hear this experience, if only the one who was asked to leave came back to the hall and "repented", then it would be held up as an exemplary way to treat those who have "left Jehovah".

I am amazed at your ability to deny reality.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Learn the fine art of exaggerating their prejudices and paranoias to highlight their stupidity. Also called irreverence!

When they do or say something ignorant, immediately roll your eyes to the back of your head, chant, and rock back and forth. Make some gestures with your hands like you’re casting a spell or say OHM and pretend you’re in a trance. Speaking in tongues would probably be fun but I haven’t tried that yet.

If you don’t want to make a spectacle of yourself to the other normal people around, draw pentagrams on a piece of paper, or if eating, arrange your peas in the shape of an upside-down cross while humming chants softly.

These are things I’ve done and they cut through the bs immediately. Either the offending parties go away immediately in total fear, or they know you’re mocking them and they stop. Either way, you win.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I would have just stayed put and let them make up their own minds.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Here's some of the published stuff telling the sheeples not to eat with/near a DF:

*** w81 9/15 p. 24 par. 18 Disfellowshiping—How to View It ***

18 Paul wrote: “Quit mixing in company . . . , not even eating with such a man.” (1 Cor. 5:11) A meal is a time of relaxation and socializing. Hence, the Bible here rules out social fellowship, too, such as joining an expelled person in a picnic or party, ball game, trip to the beach or theater, or sitting down to a meal with him. *
    Footnote:Our issue of September 1, 1981, discussed 2 Thessalonians 3:14, 15, where the Bible says that it might be necessary to ‘mark’ a Christian who persists in disorderly conduct. He is still a brother and to be admonished as such, but other Christians are to “stop associating with him.” If they should avoid his company on a social basis, much clearer separation should exist in the cases of disfellowshiped or disassociated wrongdoers.

*** w81 9/15 p. 30 par. 23 If a Relative Is Disfellowshiped . . . ***

If a disfellowshiped relative comes to the Kingdom Hall for the wedding, obviously he could not be in the bridal party there or “give away” the bride. What, though, if there is a wedding feast or reception? This can be a happy social occasion, as it was in Cana when Jesus attended. (John 2:1, 2) But will the disfellowshiped relative be allowed to come or even be invited? If he was going to attend, many Christians, relatives or not, might conclude that they should not be there, to eat and associate with him, in view of Paul’s directions at 1 Corinthians 5:11.

*** w97 4/15 p. 25 Weddings That Honor Jehovah ***

Written invitations also help us to avoid the embarrassment of having a disfellowshipped person show up at the reception, for if that happened, many brothers and sisters might choose to leave. (1 Corinthians 5:9-11) If a couple invite unbelieving relatives or acquaintances, these will no doubt be limited in number, giving more importance to those “related to us in the faith.” (Galatians 6:10) Some have chosen to invite worldly acquaintances or unbelieving relatives to the wedding talk rather than to the reception. Why? Well, there have been cases when worldly relatives created such an embarrassing situation at a wedding reception that many brothers and sisters felt that they could not remain.

*** km 8/02 p. 3 par. 3 Display Christian Loyalty When a Relative Is Disfellowshipped ***

3 This means that loyal Christians do not have spiritual fellowship with anyone who has been expelled from the congregation. But more is involved. God’s Word states that we should ‘not even eat with such a man.’ (1 Cor. 5:11) Hence, we also avoid social fellowship with an expelled person. This would rule out joining him in a picnic, party, ball game, or trip to the mall or theater or sitting down to a meal with him either in the home or at a restaurant.

From these quotes, most (or at least many) dubs would be inclined to conclude that eating in the same building/event, as justhuman wouldn't be "socializing with" him. They would eat & shun, but not make a scene like this. However, the elders have received much more instruction from the CO on walking out of wedding receptions or funeral meals if a DF is there. Elduhs are expected to take the lead in making the scene! When those quotes say "might conclude" or "might choose", it means that there is really only one approved conclusion or choise. The dubs are expected to leave. Our CO has been quite clear that those of a family who had attended and ATE at a reception where the DF father was present, are NOT in good standing.

As with the entire disfellowshipping practice, scriptural support is clearly absent in the articles I browsed for those quotes. It's based on one text, not from "the first century Governing Body", nope. It is based on the words of "Circuit Overseer" Paul... the Pharisee.

B the X

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

No disrespect to JustHuman, but there would've been no way in hell that I would've moved from my seat... invoking Charlton Heston: "from my cold dead ass!"

• mraimondi
    mraimondi

i hate to say this

but you should have never left that table.

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

I would have lost my temper and punched someone or at least put them in an armbar!

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

The delusions of grandeur that these people have. As if your reason for being there had to do with making them uncomfortable, and not your own daughter. Having said that, it's better to have moved for your own sake, not theirs.

• belbab
    belbab

Just Human,

Reading your account, it seems that your civil rights have been violated. You did and said what you did at the time was appropriate, under the circumstances.

If you feel that you should pursue some action to reduce impact on yourself for their actions, here are some examples of what you can do.

Write a formal letter to your JW relative and send copies to all if possible of the twenty JWs that were there. Send copies to their elders, and send a copy to the Society.

Find civil rights organizations that may give you some free advice. Go public.

Write the school. If it is run by JWs all the better. I am sure many here on this board, including myself could help you with a letter.

They slap you down, then they expect you not to cry or even say ouch.

belbab

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I would have liked to think I would do it differently but I would have handled the situation the same as you did.

I am sorry you were put through this.

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit