Does anyone here celebrate holidays? Why?

by Rocky_Girl 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

I didn't originally celebrate anything, but when my oldest son started school I decided that it was unfair to put him through what I went through in school. I have to admit that I am loving the holidays, even though some of that old mindset tries to make me feel guilty. We focus on what the holidays mean to us as a family and enjoying time together. And, it is awesome to see the magic of the holidays work in our family as we do things for each other and for the unfortunate in our community. There are a lot of lessons that can be taught in the context of days like Thanksgiving(remembering things we are thankful for), Easter (the love shown in Jesus giving his life for us), and Christmas (believing in something bigger than us, generosity). I know that some of you don't believe in God any longer, but there are other messages you may attach to some holidays.

I probably wouldn't be doing it if I didn't have kids, not because I believe they are wrong but because it is what I am used to. I am glad that my kids will not have these issues when they are grown and can enjoy the fun things in life, such as birthdays, holidays, sports, college, etc. And, I'm glad that they aren't living in fear like I was in grade school. (I always thought the big A would happen while I was at school and I would have to watch the other kids get killed and eaten by birds)

How about you? Anyone celebrate? Which holidays? Why did you start? Why did you never start?

• C. T. Russell
    C. T. Russell

Personally the Holidays don’t mean that much to me. But they are kind of nice in that it’s an excuse for people to get together. At work they didn’t have a “Christmas Party” but they did have a “Holiday Party”. People from many backgrounds all brought food from their respective backgrounds. American, Middle East, Jewish, Asian, etc. It was really nice to just hang out with people.

I’m still surprised the JW’s don’t just make up some bogus event to justify a celebration.

At least you won’t have to explain to your kids why they can’t go to the Sadie Hawkins dance.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

You can celebrate holidays (and even call them by their original names) for reasons beyond religious ones. Christmas decorations are pretty, they are fun for children to watch, and the children are sure to have a good time doing Christmas shopping (and for sure when they receive their gifts). Whether it is associated with Jesus or not is beside the point--the point is to enjoy the occasion. This goes for Easter, Thanksgiving, and the patriotic holidays as well.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I celebrate all of them. It was easy for me to do, because my dad has children that were small when I first was df'd. It's silly not to celebrate if you want, because lots of everyday things have pagan origins that we use.

• PEC
    PEC

I celebrate everything, the more pagan the better.

Philip

• only me
    only me

I celebrate everything too . It has been very healing to celebrate,especially Christmas, perhaps because I remember my grandparents celebrating and

that was a happy memory. I don't have many happy childhood memories.

• Newborn
    Newborn

Yes

to feel and be normal

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I celebrate if I want too - I don't make a huge sing and dance about it.

Once can't have double standards and allow some paganism in and shun others (eg JW belief of birthdays/christmas....they should look at what wedding rings and ties mean)

• Heaven
    Heaven

Yes I do. To lift my spirits, to show the special people in my life how much I love them, and to spend time with them.

BTW... I've never seen anyone beheaded at any birthday celebration I've ever been to in my entire life. I think this is strictly taboo ... oh, and ILLEGAL nowadays!

can't have double standards and allow some paganism in and shun others

Right on, LouBelle! In addition, there's the WTS's main symbol 'the Watchtower'. Watchtowers are used as guardians of the 4 directions (North, South, East, and West) in Wiccan ceremonies. Go Figure.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Yes.

I enjoy the holidays and having a young child makes it all the better! I love giving him all the things I never got to do. And it's such a relief to know that he isn't been teased at school or the kid that stands out for being "different". School was tough for me, and I'm glad he doesn't have to go through that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit