Spanish JW's Upset Over Bethel Move

by Gary1914 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Are the Bethelites required to put in a 30 day notice in Spain after being "asked" to leave?

I think that's a major loophole they exploit in the US. If the government were to inquire about someone being terminated at Bethel for some injury, that would be a disability the bOrg may be required to pay for. Or they could be sued for wrongful termination or discrimination, perhaps. However, since they ask for and keep a file, these 30-day notices are a way for the Corporation to say, "No, they all quit of their own choosing. We didn't kick them out."

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

Well lets treat this as if it were a normal corporation in Spain (from the workers point of view)

1. I hate my job, I quit - i can't claim social benefit even though i have been paying into it, and so has my company

2. I love my job, but they are moving overseas - i get 45 days pay, plus unemployment for upto 2 years because I and my employer have paid into social security.

I think, knowing the crooks at bethel, that it is going to be option 1, they will be forced to quit and not be able to claim anything - even emergency.

I will ask though - i am going to be sure to bring up the point about social welfare as i know it is at the heart of it

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

ok some things i picked up...

1)they are being asked to quit bethel - this means NO social benefit of any kind. They are also going to be asked to sign a document stating that they are owed nothing more from bethel (this is standard practise in Spain, after leaving or being asked to leave any job or position-voluntary or paid)

2) Members that are considered long term (20 years or so, the details are kind of foggy) will be made special pioneers and can choose where to serve, which given the cost of living in certain parts of spain is not so bad a thing). people serving beyond 5 years will be made regular pioneers and asked to go to various places throughout the field. People with less than 5 years will be appointed regulars whereever they end up.

3)They are trying to sell the bethel complex or the land at Torrejon/ajavir, which is, which due to the printing undertaken , huge. However the assembly hall across the street will remain in the property of the surrounding circuits who finance it. It is in the middle of an industrial area, so selling the land probably won't be so hard. They are going to purchase land and build a smaller bethel for around the 50-100 (MAX) that will remain.

My friend who is at bethel is of course being asked to quit, however she is a lucky one - her father has a great business and so will be able to slip in there , she also starts an accounting course in september to beef up her "outside skills". Likewise, she is not going to regular pioneer :D

I'm sure we are going to recieve a letter soon with a positive spin on it

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Interesting! Thanks for the update, Wantarevolution!

• runningonfaith
    runningonfaith

So much for putting their thrust in Jehovah.

• torre
    torre

As some of you know 70 out of 200 bethelites in Spain got a letter two weeks ago saying that they hadve to be made redandance. 40 of them were lucky and have been sent to the special pioneering work. These ones have been in Bethel for two and three decades, which mean that they are in their fifties and above. Among them is Eduardo Palau, a former member of the Branch Commitee and former Galaadite. He was fired as a member of the Branch Commitee in 1998 when he married with a sister 40 years younger than him at the time. He now is about 78/80 years old. A plain-mind old-timer.

This is the beggining of the end for many as the Branch is going to be around 50 members.

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

gracias por la aclaración - ¿De dónde eres? some sad people up at the bethel i'm sure - hopefully for some of them at least, their life is going to truely begin

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I guess the Governing Body don't like the spanish speaking brother because it seems that these guys get the worst treatment.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/278950/1/Misappropriation-of-funds-Project-for-an-Assembly-Hall-in-Guadalajara#.U0rFv_ldUWY

I wonder how many more of these scams can the Governing Body pull before they got an outright rebellion on their hands. No higher education allowed but give us all your money and free labor.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart
    This happend in spain a few years ago could it happen in any other countey ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit