The odd trajectory of Watchtower fulfillment of prophecy

by Olin Moyles Ghost 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

When you were a believer, did you ever find it odd that the further we get into the "last days" fewer and fewer Bible prophecies are being fulfilled?

For example, as JWs we learned that lots of prophecies were fulfilled during the WWI time period--Satan being cast out of heaven, Gentile Times ending, Jesus enthroned as king, then the inspection of religions in 1918 and the appointment of the WTS 'over all his belongings' in 1919. Also, the two witnesses of Revelation were resurrected in 1919, and the 1260, 1335, and 2300 days of Daniel were fulfilled by various WT articles during the 1920s and 30s. Further, the 7 trumpet blasts of Revelation sounded in the 1920s at 7 district conventions. Finally, in fulfillment of Revelation, the Leage of Nations came into existence, went off into an abyss, and returned in the 1940s as the U.N.

That's a lot of prophetic fulfillment packed into about 30 years!

But as far as I can tell, the WT has not identified any prophetic fulfillments since the U.N. came into existence in the 1940s. So, we've gone about 65 years without any new prophecies being fulfilled!

I remember thinking this was odd. If we're really in the "last days," wouldn't it make sense for there to be an increase in fulfillment of prophecy as the system winds down? But that hasn't been the case.

Of course, the reason for this is simple: Rutherford used them all up! It's painfully clear that the WT/JW theology under Rutherford simply was not designed to last beyond the end of WWII.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here's the reason. They are going to have to declare peace and security before anything more can happen. But, in order to do that, they are going to have to ban initiatory force, threats of force, or fraud worldwide. They are going to have to get near 100% compliance, and fight to the death (if necessary) anyone that violates that premise. With those who initiate force, threats of force, or fraud out of the way, the nations would be in the clear to declare that peace and security have been attained.

At which point, the ban would have to extend to religions. They would not be allowed to initiate the use of force to ban religions (though they could fight back should a religion attempt to strike first). What would happen instead is that people would begin to see religion as a scam, especially once children start being taught to think for themselves instead of letting the Establishment do their thinking for them. When that happens, Babylon the Great simply loses all its support and goes belly up. No military action would be needed to save religion.

And, if the Jehovah's Witlesses continue doggedly to hold on, people would start thinking for themselves. Without any initiatory attack on them, many would simply leave the religion and become apostates. Children born in would find themselves thinking themselves right out of it, due to improved schools that teach children to think. And, once the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger reactively bans school, many would simply quit the religion. Those who continue going to school become apostates. Those who do not, and who obey the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger, will find themselves unable to support themselves (Welfare being phased out for those who are able to work), and they simply go belly up like all the other religions.

Since that prophesy version would not be compatible with the Washtowel Slaveholdery's New Dark Ages, they do not subscribe to it. They do not allow people to think that, for peace and security to actually happen, initiatory force and fraud (and threats thereof) would have to be banned worldwide. And that would stop the government from taking down religion--people would do that by not supporting them, and allowing them to go belly up. And, so long as initiatory force is permitted to take down religion, it will also be permitted to start wars and prevent true peace and security.

Seems the Washtowel Slaveholdery is in a pickle with that one.

• dozy
    dozy

Good point.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Remember they can always use the new light policy at any time they want to cover their asses.

Mostly how this all works is through fear, because the proclamation that this organization is the true voice of god

people will blindly accept any new information that was not understood clearly before.

Its very much like little birds in a nest with their mouths wide open to receive what ever spiritual food the mother bird brings them.

Thats simply how this publishing house works.

Occasionally some of the spiritual food spread on the table goes bad and it has to be taken off.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

I noticed this too!! Growing up and believing in all of this stuff, I felt that I was in the right religion because of all these "supposed" prophetic fulfillments.

But I felt left out because I wasn't a part of any of it. I wished that I had been alive in the 20's or 30's to see all of it happening.

Of course, once I found out it was all a myth, it's even more disappointing. It never ceases to amaze me just how deluded the Witnesses are. I just want to walk up to one of them and shake 'em and say: "It's all fake! The WT is lying to you! It's not fulfilling Bible prophecy!"

But then I might look like the nut...

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Only the Kings of North & South, as far as I know.

Dan 11.40 - K of N ,chariots and "enter other lands" = great army of Soviets and Cold War expansion . specific mention of Viet Nam in book , Daniels Prophecy p279/280 (1999 printed)

But you are right, it all happened yesteryear. Many dubs feel they are marking time these days. Others tell me that "You never know until after the event, we could be seeing something right know!"

• JeffT
    JeffT

"You never know until after the event, we could be seeing something right know!"

Wow, we're ALL prophets, I bet everybody could get yesterday's baseball scores right.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Others tell me that "You never know until after the event, we could be seeing something right know!"

Idiots! The test of a true prophet is whether the prediction comes true. Words from the Prophet of all prophets according to The Message Bible:

John 13:19 "I'm telling you all this ahead of time so that when it happens you will believe that I am who I say I am.

John 14:29 "I've told you this ahead of time, before it happens, so that when it does happen, the confirmation will deepen your belief in me.

Sylvia

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Quick, how many prophecies you have to be wrong about to be a false prophet?

Answer: One.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Very good observation.

An eschatological movement is just as old as the dates its believers retain. In practice, the only date the vast majority of JWs retain is 1914. Even 1919 is already being swept under the carpet as has been pointed out recently. All the following (1925, 1975) are long forgotten (except by "apostates").

I think the best the WT can hope is to become a post-eschatological movement like the SDAs; keeping 1914 (like the SDAs did with 1844) in the general theory behind a very loose sense of "last days".

Of course it would imply that the focus of the average JW committment gradually move from "preaching the end of the world" to something else (as could happen in the SDA church with the emphasis on sabbath, dietary health and humanitarian activity). The absence of non-eschatological originality in WT teaching (besides the blood issue, which is way more embarrassing than promising) is their major problem for the future imo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit