Warning to laptop users

by Leolaia 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

One of mine gets very hot at times, hot, but I haven't been worried about it.

A quick Google turned up this

"Doctors are warning that laptop computers may inflict a burn even through clothed skin, after the bizarre case of a Swedish scientist who scorched his penis and testicles while writing a report in his armchair."

That wouldn't be much fun.

Cheers

Chris

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL, I should have known to expect snarky remarks from you lot....

I never heard of laptop burn before but apparently it's not that uncommon. Check out this particularly nasty case:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2503291.stm

The main thing is to be aware that such a thing can happen. You can get burned without even realizing it.

cameo-d....Not the laser, it's the sheer heat the drive produces when it is running. I didn't treat it at all until yesterday; I just left it alone. Intially it looked like a welt. It took days for it to darken and look like it does now. Then my doctor had to go picking at it and break the skin. So then I started putting ointment on it. But it's not infected or anything; it looks exactly the same as it did all along, just darker. I think only the epidermis burned and it took a whole week for the skin to even peal and that was after my doctor picked at it. But I know I'll get an ugly scar from it. I scar really easily now. It may take quite a while to fade enough to not be easily noticable.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I had a similar thing, but on the pinkie finger of my left hand. I was editing video in Final Cut and my left hand rests near where the MagSafe power cord attaches to my MacBook Pro. After working for an hour or so I was aware of an intense tingling sensation on my finger. It was still like that later in the evening. When I looked at it, I could see that my finger was red and there was a slight welt just where it had been resting against the body of the laptop.

Don't let anyone tell you that aluminium doesn't conduct heat well...

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Leolaia: "But I know I'll get an ugly scar from it. I scar really easily now. It may take quite a while to fade enough to not be easily noticable."

Well, maybe now you won't have to do the iris scans since you have a new identifying mark!

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

How long have you been "self harming" you need some help girl!

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's a mark of a beast;)

S adding his slightly snarky remark;)

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

She's got a permanant Tattoo that says "Panasonic" ......so enbarrassing!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A desktop is much safer. That is, unless you try to put it in your lap--even then, there is more area for the heat to dissipate into.

A painless burn sounds like UV radiation. If it was heat, you would have felt it. I believe it's either emitting ultraviolet radiation from the DVD player, or microwaves from a wireless port, or both. And if it is microwaves from a wireless port, I would be very careful with cell phones and other wireless devices that rely on microwaves to transmit data.

And, besides being radiologically safer, hard wiring your system is more secure. There is no way anyone is going to hack data off my computer via a microwave receiver if it is not emitting any microwave radiation.

• besty
    besty

Jehovahs judgement for planning a trip to LA without telling us - we live 10 minutes from LAX - naughty Leo.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm glad you mentioned this. I've been searching to see if this happened to anyone else.

In my case it's my left thigh. I have a chill pad that has a fan vent right over my left leg. So does my laptop.

I have broken blood vessels the size of a fist at the site of the vent. It bothers me for hours after I shut off the computer. I even wake up in the middle of the night with the sensation of burning.

I'm getting one of those tray thingees you can set on your lap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit