Hi i'm back..again!

by Cordelia 14 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Cordelia, as you've found out, there is no reasoning with a zealot. In their mind, they hear and see what they want. If it were me, I'd probably sit down and write a letter, laying out what you consider acceptable behaviour and what you do not. If they choose to treat you as less than a person, that is their perrogative, just as it's yours to not accept rude behaviour. Stand your ground but don't push anything. Realize that the improper behaviour is theirs, and the changes will have to come from them. Have respect for yourself and demand no less from others. If they can't accept these terms, then it's their loss.

As an aside, Cordelia is a cool name!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

anyway, don't let them bring your kid to the meetings

• oompa
    oompa

lose the guilt friend......it is poison and is what the jw faith is built on.......and.......there is an awake being talked about here....july awake that has an interesting quote about how we should not have to chose between family and our religion....it may help.....

also.....what if you were of a family branch that were not dubs?.......would they shun you?.......why is there no free will without consequences if you happen to be born in as a jw?.....what are your choices?.......at 12 or 15 can you tell your folks you want to go examine another religion????.......no......you are forced to stay in the faith.....sorry for both of us.......oompa

• Scully
    Scully

Cordy! It's nice to see you again!

There is no room for guilt anymore. You have a young daughter who is observing your JW relatives disrespecting her mother. Is that something that you want her to learn... that it's OK for them (and eventually her) to treat you so badly and disrespectfully?

It's time to stand up for yourself and your daughter. If they want to exclude you from "whatever" and treat you disrespectfully, then they do not get to associate with you or your daughter. Period. Whenever you bend over backward for them and let them suck you back in to going to the meetings, you know they will not be satisfied with that in the long term. When you give in, you give them power over you, and you disempower yourself. Don't let them take away your power - and for heaven's sake STOP letting them emotionally abuse you in the presence of your child.

This is not rocket science, honey. You wouldn't let a complete stranger treat you this way, so why should you be expected to suck it up and try to accommodate that behaviour when it's dished out by someone who just happens to be related to you? You have done nothing wrong. You have nothing to apologize for or feel guilty about.

You have been letting your family reel you back in to the JWs, even though it's the last place you want to be, just so you can have a relationship with them. All you are doing is setting yourself up, over and over and over again, to be rejected by them because you aren't the person they want you to be. You won't be happy, even if you have them in your lives, because ultimately you aren't being true to yourself.

Please, once and for all, decide to be either all in or all out of the JWs, and let the cards fall where they may. You and your daughter will survive without your family, and they will get along just fine without you. But as long as you are "limping on two different opinions" you will be giving them ample opportunity to treat you as an inferior and emotionally blackmail you to live a JW life that you don't want.

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

thanks again, it does help reading your replies,

i like the scrip reference scully and thats what i was doing 'limping on 2 different opinions' and like someone else commented i am hurting them more as when i cave and say right i,ll go back, then i hate it it hurts them again, they have said its my attitude which hurts them the most..

my brother 2 years younger left when i got dfed as he thought it was ridiculous which it was, so my family feel like they 'lost 2 children', but as he isn't 'apsotate' they can deal with it more but it still upsets them as he 'is going to die at armagadon!' guess i do have to be more careful about what i say.

mind you they say some weird things like, my other brother has heart probs but is really spiritual, my dad said to me 'isn't it a shame that jason has a weak physical heart but a strong spiritual one and you and your other brother have strong physical hearts and a weak spiritual one?

he'd prob perfer me to be ill but strong spiritually!

sorry guys venting again..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit