Did you go on a spiritual quest?

by rebel8 22 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

I sure did!

Childhood: Roman Catholic -> fundie Bible thumper born again "alcohol is evil, non-whites are bad" type -> jw (abhorred the latter 2)

Adulthood:

Checked out but didn't join--Buddhism, Hinduism, Voodoo, Wicca, Paganism, Greek mythology, Italian folk magic, Quakers, several Native American traditions.

Joined--Roman Catholicism (again) -> Secular Humanism [I still am an official member of both and that's where I'll forever stay.]

• snowbird
    snowbird

I did!

Now, I'm full circle back to the Bible, but still questing.

It's a never-ending journey.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I still am an official member of both and that's where I'll forever stay.

Never say forever! The quest should never end.

BTS

• rebel8
    rebel8

But I was on a quest to find the truth. I found it. I'm satisfied. Now I'm focusing my resources on searching for more knowledge and being a good Humanist.

quest

  / kw?st / Show IPA –noun

1.a search or pursuit made in order to find or obtain something
  • palmtree67
    palmtree67

Hi rebel

I'd like to ask you something and my intention is honest wondering, not to belittle your faith:

How do you reconcile backing the Catholic Church with their support of Hitler during WW11?

My ex in-laws were Catholic but I was always afraid to ask them.

I hope my question doesn't offend you.

• rebel8
    rebel8

That is not offensive at all.

I don't reconcile it. I am an atheist (Secular Humanist) and I consider myself to be an Ethnic Catholic. LOL By this I mean it's like Ethnic Jews, it's a big part of my ethnic background but it is not necessarily my religious belief.

I officially rejoined the RC church for several reasons:

• As part of my journey of healing from dubbery (can't really explain it but I felt like I was apologizing to the church for being so hateful to them when I was a dub, and also becoming the person I would have been if dubs hadn't interfered)
    • For social purposes
    • To get married in the church, I needed to finish my confirmation (this is our cultural tradition and what we wanted)
    • To snub my nose at the dubs (even though I never planned on telling them, just felt fun)

I told the priest I was an atheist and he was totally ok with confirming me. I am on the books as an official member but just do so to go with the flow at family events.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Checked out but didn't join--Buddhism, Hinduism, Voodoo, Wicca, Paganism, Greek mythology, Italian folk magic, Quakers, several Native American traditions.

Yep, I went on quite a quest. I checked out all the above except for Voodoo and Quakers. Add to my list Eckinkar and Urantia as well as a few others.

I went home to Judaism. It is where the East meets the West religion wise.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Boy did I!!!

And me too... I was going to find the REAL truth!!!! LOL.

I read the Bible without religious dogma, (that didn't turn out like I THOUGHT it would), I listen to christian radio as I commuted to work, (many sounded exactly the same as at the KH or convention, only slight differences), I watched some tele-evangelists (was a little afraid of "churches"), I prayed like crazy for wisdom and truth, I sought any means to lose the anger and resentment I had toward the WBTS, listen to a hundred books on spirituality, all sorts, as I commuted to work, looked into Buddhism...oh...just so so many things, too many to remember.

I'm not where I ever thought I would be. I might change again, it ain't over till it's over. I do not have any religion in my life at all and I seem to do quite well without it.

I just don't know.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Robdar, what did you find out about Eckanar?

I almost put that on the list but it didn't even qualify as "checking it out". I watched their paid public tv show once and LMAO. That was enough.

It consisted of one point: Find the light and sound. No other info, just repeating that and rambling on--the same on live tv every week. I believe the guy who does the show has full-blown psychosis. It's painful to watch.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Mine started when i left the wt. I was looking for god. The pentacostalist churches helped somewhat. I read a lot of church history, about the saints, bible commentary. I tried some of the things from the pentacostalists. Some worked, some didn't. Finally, i decided on the direct approach w god, a chanting mediation on him. He didn't show, but my long dead brother did. I read a lot about meditation, mysticism and psychic exercises. As i practiced these, and based on my earlier church time, i concluded that god didn't show because he doesn't exist. My spiritual practices were tied in w my own therapy. I worked at facing my primal pain. One day, while i was working, it came up, and almost killed me. Felt better, after that. Depression slowly lifted. Am in a relative calm, at this time. Still do various spiritual practices, as necesary.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit