Why do you think Jesus never wrote anything down?

by journey-on 67 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

If his message was to be followed like a rule book, wouldn't he have written down some things with his own hand?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Jesus was like a "hippie" who could not be bothered....he was too busy giving away "free love"....and having kids with Mary Magdalene.....his diciples cashed in big time like some sleezy people today would do! "Yeah I knew the guy...read my book!"

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

He, if he existed, very well may have. How would we know?

I agree that if the message was so important then a little bit more scientific proof of divinity that could be checked out by all future generations may have been in order rather than the accounts now acccepted as divinely inspired.

Thomas Covenant

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"Why do you think Jesus never wrote anything down?"

If I had a perfect memory I would not need to write things down either!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Jesus may have written. His writings may not have fit the doctrine that the church was forming by the time of deciding what belonged in the canon.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Why buy a dog and bark yourself?

Paul

• minimus
    minimus

He never had a pencil on him.

• StAnn
    StAnn

The Jewish tradition was to teach orally and pass down teachings orally. They passed these down in community (it's not like playing telephone) and guarded their oral teachings carefully. This was how the culture in which he chose to live passed down teachings.

St. Ann

• snowbird
    snowbird

Matthew 26:13 "I tell you the truth, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her." NIV

As Creator, Jesus knows that humans have an innate desire to pass on information. We take pleasure in sharing knowledge, so He simply allowed His disciples to spread His Message - by spoken and written word.

Even if Jesus had written anything, imo, it would have become just as controversial as that written by His disciples.

The Wicked One would have made sure of it.

Sylvia

• Chalam
    Chalam

I agree, Jesus did not leave us a set of rules, rather the gift of His Spirit to show those who believe how to live.

2 Corinthians 3:6 (New International Version)

6 He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Romans 8:1-2 (New International Version)
    Life Through the Spirit

1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.

See what Jesus said about murder, adultery, divorce and such and it is clear, His will is not that we lives by rules but enter His Kingdom and live by His Spirit Matthew 5 All the best, Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit