What no sports?!

by Chalam 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

I was reading the list of Don'ts and Do's for JWs in a recent thread and was slightly surprised by the prohibition of sports.

We are not talking violent sport like boxing or such, just athletics, ball sport and stuff right?

When I thought about it I was not so surprised as my JW friend said a long time back he wasn't into football and I agreed, I am not the greatest fan (although I gladly watch Brazil!)

So what do the kids do at school, sit out and watch? Man that must "toughen" them up :(

What warped biblical grounds do they submit for this? It must be something totally crazy like the Christmas and Birthdays ruling right? No doubt they say sport has "pagan origins" or some bull? Why would Paul draw so many comparisons to athletics if it were ungodly?

1 Corinthians 9:25-27 (New International Version)

25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

2 Timothy 2:4-5 (New International Version)

4 No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs—he wants to please his commanding officer. 5 Similarly, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor's crown unless he competes according to the rules.

Now I am ranting, being a soldier either?! Here's more athletics...

2 Timothy 4:7 (New International Version)

7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Even boxing gets a look in in the ESV, see verse 26!

1 Corinthians 9:25-28 (English Standard Version)

25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

All the best,

Stephen

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Lets just say it's discouraged for some and not for others depending on who your tight with. It's more about fellowship with non beleivers and commradery that could lead to straying form spiritual goals.

Some parents will enforce this insanity some won't.

Collage and university are discouraged as well. In other words you can do it if you want but we don't like it much and it might mean some uncomfortable feelings at times. depends on the click your in and how nutty your parents are.

Playin sports within the witness world is fine. Unfortunately their no time to form international witness football teams cuz we wouldn't have time to sell magazines. further this might be perceived by outsiders as more worldly than spritual. Image is everything to a witness. Even if your a scumbag. Just don't show it and you'll be fine.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Thanks for your input. That rings true with the JW vibe I have seen. Such restriction and constriction :(

Neither do JWs grasp the essence of these verse either I guess.

Colossians 3:23-24 (New International Version)

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

Colossians 3:17 (New International Version)

17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

1 Corinthians 7:17 (New International Version)

17 Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches.

All the best,

Stephen

• yknot
    yknot

All team sports can 'hark' to violent battles between nations and tribes.

Competitiveness is a immoral self-serving trait to be discouraged

Worldly associations

Time taken away from WT study and FS...... the end is nigh!

While I have attended KHs that were highly social (including sports) most discourage any associations beyond FS accept the occassional after meeting meal with visiting speaker or CO.

So while I qualified for track, softball, swim team, tennis and cheerleading during try-outs....... I was denied parental permission...(I was even yanked out of ballet!)

Also all UIL competitions are nil in most JWkid lives again due to battling (intellectually included for debate and drama) and competitiveness.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I was denied parental permission...(I was even yanked out of ballet!)

Is it so strange what they teach and so destructive. My wife gets a lot of prophetic words and visions Numbers 12:6 Acts 2:16-18 She had several regarding our daughter and her calling (see 1 Cor 7:17 above). The word was she would do ballet and art. Anyhow, her best friend started tap and modern (they are six) and my wife said no to our daughter going as she does a lot of activities which cost. However, she had no peace about the matter and went on about it for some time, what was the right thing to do? I told her we needed to pray about whether to send her. Immediately, my wife saw our daughter, grown up and on the stage tap dancing in a vision. So I told her, that was it, she would be going to the class. Straight away, my wife had peace about the whole issue :)

See here what the man of God, Eric Liddle said in Chariots of Fire

Eric Liddell: I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure.

Amen! The Father takes pleasure in the gifts He has given His children and when they use them to their fullest.

What a different faith we have to JWs.

All the best,

Stephen

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hi, Chalam .

This is the main scripture used to discourage participation in sports.

1 Timothy 4:8

For bodily training is beneficial for a little; but godly devotion is beneficial for all things, as it holds promise of the life now and that which is to come. NWT

Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever. MSG

One of my nephews excelled in sports: track, tennis, football, basketball, swimming, you name it. One of his coaches visited my sister personally and begged her to allow her son to join the track team.

My sister, backed by yours truly, refused. To this day, I get a hollow feeling when I think how misguided we were!

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82

Participation in organized sports is strongly, perhpas vehemently discouraged, primarily because (1) worldly kids are "bad association", (2) practice and games take away from time better spent in "spiritual pursuits", and (3) such sports are perceived as cultivating a "win at all costs" attitude.

Informal sports playing is tolerated, perhaps even encouraged in some of the more relaxed congregations, so long as only JWs are involved and the "spirit of competition" is not very strong and nothing remotely resembling any sort of "organization" (one congregation vs. other congregations on a regular basis, e.g.) is permitted.

• Chalam
    Chalam

snowird-My sister, backed by yours truly, refused. To this day, I get a hollow feeling when I think how misguided we were!

Hi Sylvia,

I shouldn't be too harsh on yourself, let it go :) As you say, you were misguided (by the blind guides who are the WT). Anyhow, there will be an eternity to play sports and such :)

All the best,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

sir82-articipation in organized sports is strongly, perhpas vehemently discouraged, primarily because

(1) worldly kids are "bad association",

They don't want to to spend time in the world because you will find out how much you are missing out on. Also, you might run into some actual Christians who will enjoying life to the full. John 10:10 (New Century Version) A thief comes to steal and kill and destroy, but I came to give life—life in all its fullness.

(2) practice and games take away from time better spent in "spiritual pursuits"

Same as 1 plus they want to fill your mind and spirit with all their junk.

(3) such sports are perceived as cultivating a "win at all costs" attitude.

Fair enough, but God likes people to use the things He gives us, not bury them in the ground.

Matthew 25:25-26 (New Century Version)

25 So I was afraid and went and hid your money in the ground. Here is your bag of gold.' 26 The master answered, 'You are a wicked and lazy servant! You say you knew that I harvest things I did not plant and that I gather crops where I did not sow any seed.

Informal sports playing is tolerated, perhaps even encouraged in some of the more relaxed congregations, so long as only JWs are involved and the "spirit of competition" is not very strong and nothing remotely resembling any sort of "organization" (one congregation vs. other congregations on a regular basis, e.g.) is permitted.

That is one whole lot of dictating :( Those dudes have never hear of "Freedom in Christ"

All the best,

Stephen

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thank you, Chalam.

I await that Time with the utmost longing.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit