Today is "Talk Like Shakespeare Day"

by bebu 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• bebu
    bebu

Not that I can do this but...

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/04/21/talk.like.shakespeare/index.html

http://talklikeshakespeare.org/

(from the site)

1. Instead of you, say thou. Instead of y’all, say thee.
    2. Rhymed couplets are all the rage.
    3. Men are Sirrah, ladies are Mistress, and your friends are all called Cousin.
    4. Instead of cursing, try calling your tormenters jackanapes or canker-blossoms or poisonous bunch-back’d toads.
    5. Don’t waste time saying "it," just use the letter "t" (’tis, t’will, I’ll do’t).
    6. Verse for lovers, prose for ruffians, songs for clowns.
    7. When in doubt, add the letters "eth" to the end of verbs (he runneth, he trippeth, he falleth).
    8. To add weight to your opinions, try starting them with methinks, mayhaps, in sooth or wherefore.
    9. When wooing ladies: try comparing her to a summer’s day. If that fails, say "Get thee to a nunnery!"
    10. When wooing lads: try dressing up like a man. If that fails, throw him in the Tower, banish his friends and claim the throne.
  • Priest73
    Priest73

I thought it was earth day.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I really like #4.

4. Instead of cursing, try calling your tormenters jackanapes or canker-blossoms or poisonous bunch-back’d toads.

I'll try using them on a certain person on this here board.

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

Quarrel With a Cross Beau

Our disquieted, quivering Paolo Pulzone admired from afar the lovely and virtuous Anna Archer, she who was standing stock still upon the hillock, the wind gently giving rise to the flowing blond tresses framing an angel's countenance. T'was all Paolo could do to bridle conflicting emotions welling up in his breast and not cast aspersions upon the guileless and fletching Anna.

Our damsel fair had had a quarrel with her beau, now cross, but wished not to prod the excitable Pulzone to rack and ruin by releasing further invective upon said would-be lover's beauteous brow. The strings of yon swain's tender heart were already all atwang; the broad headed bowyer sought no further triggers mayhaps directing this swooning hero off-target. A piqued Paolo had attained his supreme nocking point and all his levers were soon to become unhinged. "Verretto verretto non quadrello dardo," mused the spineless and cross beau, as he stropped on his stirrups and headed home unto Avon ...

• megs
    megs

Thou dost believest that the dayest thou speakest of ist Friday!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hark ! Is this a computer that I see before me?

Thou mayest not mock my humble attempts to spekest as did the Great Bard...indeed, All's well that ends well, after all

• compound complex
    compound complex

Ever so sweetly flow the timeless declarations of our beloved bard of Avon. However much we imbibe his immortal words, this, our thirst for lucid and memorable phrase, shall never be slaked.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Priest! Blackguard! Strumpet's fool!!!

• dinah
    dinah

Beks, don't you mean "wherefore art thou, Romeo?"

• beksbks
    beksbks

Romeo doth wend his way homeward upon his silver steed!

Translation=My man is on the commuter train, and should be home soon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit