Are You Surprised That Some "Intelligent" People Still Are Witnesses?

by minimus 69 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Well, I ain't no rocket surgeon, but......

My non-JW family said I was too smart to remain a JW. It's not really the issue- too "intelligent" to fall for the crap.
    There are some highly intelligent people that fall for it, but I know what you mean.

I know some really scholarly WT readers that examine the stuff and check it in their Bible and really know the doctrine.
    But in the last moment of questioning, they resolve that "Mother" must know better than them and they accept it.

My wife got all her college training while married to me, from none to a master's degree. She has learned how to question
    the status quo, but doesn't apply any of what she learned to the WTS. Absolutely will not do it. "They have basic Bible truths
    that nobody else has." End of the story for her.

It's dangerous mind-control. It hits intelligent ones and stupid ones and those in-between.

• Ri
    Ri

Being of average intelligence...I wouldn't know , but .... Most reasonable people are searching for something that holds their life together and gives them meaning for living because they are afraid of death. Along comes a knock on the door with the answer to their prayers.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Double post, somehow the vanished post reappeared. Never mind.
    This post is just for fun:

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

No I am not suprised. When you say "STILL" I think of myself. I along with millions of other intelligent men and women were, unknown to us at the time, captives of a concept. Many intelligent ones "STILL" are held captive to a concept.

Mini, you and the many here are no longer captives of that concept. In time, many more will escape from that mindset.

Blueblades

• Amazing
    Amazing

Some are born into it, and stay even after becoming well educated. I have known some JW men who were university educated, very intelligent, and successful in their line of work ... yet they are true believers. What surprises me are those who are well educated and very intelligent before becoming JWs ... what allows them to set aside critical thinking and join the religion? Oddly enough, very intelligent and well educated people teamed up with Adolph Hitler (yes an extreme comparison, but still valid), so I suppose that intelligence and education, in and of itself, is not a sure fire protection against doing and believing stupid things.

• minimus
    minimus

Blue, you are right! Amazing, being smart doesn't mean all that much at times. OTWO, stop posting your pic.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Amazing

What surprises me are those who are well educated and very intelligent before becoming JWs ... what allows them to set aside critical thinking and join the religion?

Many sources state that potential recruits are going through some transition period in their lives, loss of a job, divorce or the death of a spouse, parent, or child. Probably death of a good friend. Even positive changes like graduation, a promotion at work, marriage or the birth of a child can be triggers for enough stress in a person's life that they become vulnerable and put their thinking on hold for a while.

I think about some of the people my ex studied with and every one had some kind of life change going on while he was studying with them.

• minimus
    minimus

MOST people who come "into the Truth" in later life are screwed up in the first place.

• Priest73
    Priest73
    very intelligent and well educated people teamed up with Adolph Hitler (yes an extreme comparison, but still valid), so I suppose that intelligence and education, in and of itself, is not a sure fire protection against doing and believing stupid things.

Careful. When you invoke the Hitler argument, it's like admitting defeat in the debate.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Godwin's law.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit