Advice Please!!!!

by nevergonnab1 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You could start by teaching your children about cults, how they work, how to recognise them etc.. That way they will grow up immune to all cults.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of much in the way of cult awareness tools that are targeted for children.

If anyone does know of any good ones, please post the info here.

There is a movie called The Wave that you may find helpful. Watch it with the kids and then have a discussion about it. The Wave 1981 is 350 Mb and is available as a torrent.

Youtube has a video on how to start your own cult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnNSe5XYp6E

If a JW wants you to believe something, insist that they prove it. Keep it calm. Ask them to write it down for you and tell them you will look at it later.

The doctrine that is worth debating is; Is the Watchtower/GB/FDS truly selected by God? Turn all arguments back to that subject if you can. It is an extraordinary claim and it requires extraordinary proof, so make them front up with that proof. We will help you formulate a reply.

Cheers

Chris

• Vinny
    Vinny

Mistake number 1- You married a JW.

Mistake number 2- You should have started educating your husband sooner.

This stuff does not go away unless somebody does their homework exposing the fallacies that have been repetitiously ingrained in his mind for probably most of his life. Sooner or later, it resurfaces. Guaranteed.

Now, Good move number 1- You are here. You will be able to gather all the information you possibly can to expose the JW religion for what it actually is and if your husband pays attention (no guaranties on that sorry to say), then you can start to deprogram his mind.

If you do nothing, you will lose. Because the JW's are doing everything they can, every time they can, to get him back to the meetings and into the full JW routine which to them means he lives.

Ray Franz is the best source out there, as already suggested. But, he may not go for that quite so fast. Most JW's consider Ray to be the chief apostate and right hand man of Satan Himself. So I'd suggest sharing some personal experiences and specific issues with him.

Here is my own story and reasons for leaving not too long ago:

http://newsblaze.com/story/20081209054218zzzz.nb/topstory.html

I was a very active Witness and Elder. Let him see that many people are willing to examine the WT Society because of the net. Information is a good thing. Just like buying a house or a car, you want to know whatever you can about its history and track record along with current info before signing on the dotted line. You simply want both of you to honestly examine the Watchtower Society carefully. He should accept this reasonable way to go about this. If he is not willing to examine, then you are in trouble. Which is where mistake number one and two above come back into play.

There are so many JW problems that you can share with him to get him thinking and to take off those blinders. But also be careful that you do not overdo it too fast. If he feels pushed, he may resist. Lead him at his own pace.

By taking the time to get fully involved, as you are here, you can truly help him. Being here is a huge move on your part. Let us know if we can do anything to help.

I wish you all the best!

Vinny

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome.

I think the most important thing is that as you educate your children you won't need to worry if they go or not. Refusing to let them go may make it intriguing to them. But if you let them go to a meeting and other churches and discuss belief systems and mind control techniques they will see quite simply that it is a cult. My 16 yo step daugther is hassled by her grandmother and goes to the memorial and every times tells me how insane it is and how grateful she is that I left.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, WoW, Black Sheep! Great video! Thanks for sharing it!

Vinny, I remember reading your story a little while ago. WOW!!

I'm envious. I post stuff out of a book and your answers (speaking collectively here...) are visceral!! Zid

• nevergonnab1
    nevergonnab1

Thanks to everyone for the advice!!! I think that video hit the nail right on the head about this org.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit