Question about number of memorial partakers

by TweetieBird 10 Replies latest jw friends

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

When I was a kid (a long, long time ago) it seems like the number of "remnant" was around 8,000. At the memorial tonight, the brother kept bringing up the fact that last year there were only about 9,000+ (can't remember the exact number but it seemed closer to 10,000). What is the society's explanation for the number going up instead of down?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

You must be mistaken, the number was higher. wink wink ala 1984

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

My husband went last night (I still love him). He wrote down 9986 partakers for 2008. Totally amazing to me how they can all dissect every other number the society throws at them but just sit there dazed and ignore that one. Interesting to see what this years figure will be.

• the research lady
    the research lady

Look at some of these "gems" found in the Feb. 1,1999 Watchtower pages 18-19. "The report in the 1939 Year Book of Jehovah's Witnesses stated: "The anointed followers of Christ Jesus now on earth are few in number"and never will their number be greater". And this statement by Fred Franz "No,no more additions!" he said:"That call ended way back there in 1931-35! There are no more additions". Now come forward a few years to the Watchtower May 1,2007 Questions from Readers. "When does the calling of Christians to a heavenly hope cease"? The Bible does not reveal a precise answer to that question". I would like to know what book they were reading to know that the call stopped. It is interesting to note that the number of participants who did receive the bread and wine, as Jesus instructed all to do in John 6:53, INCREASED by 1,230 more by 2008. It certainly will be interesting to see the figures for this year, if the Org. even decides to publish them.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Inez, I am not sure if it was a book they were reading to know that the call stopped in 1935, or if it were perhaps a spirit telling them.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

TweetieBird asked: "What is the society's explanation for the number going up instead of down?"

There is no official explanation from the bOrg.

w01 2/15 p. 27 par. 19 Jehovah’s Restored People Praise Him Earth Wide

anointed ones have diminished in number to fewer than 8,700

If anything, they would say, "the increasing number to nearly 10,000 anointed last year indicates that the end is very, very near".

... oh, wait ... no, they said this:

w95 7/1 p. 21 par. 8 Dwellers Together in a Restored "Land"

As "the time of the end" has progressed, the remaining ones of the anointed have become fewer and fewer in the "land" of God’s people.

Well, if the number of partakers decreases, increases, or stays the same, it all indicates that the end in very, very, very near!

B the X

• the research lady
    the research lady

If it was a book they were reading no doubt it would have been Johannes Greber's Bible!

• V
    V

All time low in 2005. Partakers have been increasing ever since then. 2008 was the largest percentage increase (9.7%) since Jehovah's Witnesses began counting partakers in 1935!

Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skppA3KzWbk

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

I don't think the WT publicly admits this, but IMO the changes are the natural consequences of Armageddon not coming as expected. As the governing body members get old and die off, new ones have to be appointed to replace them. They must be of the annointed to qualify, but are obviously younger than the 1935 cut off, so there was a need for "new light" to accomodate them.

Of course, opening it up to justify younger governing body members means opening it up for others too. Hence the increase.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Yea wifey stated that the speaker was talking about the number of those partaking and that Jehovah knows who is really annointed. We thought that was a stupid disclaimer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit