THE ELDERS JUST KNOCKED ON MY DOOR

by Mary 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Another weird thing this elder said during his visit was about wars and how much worse they are now. I conceded that, due to technological advances, yes, in a way wars were far worse now simply because we could literally destroy the entire human race. However, he tried saying that in the wars of yesteryear, that only the soldiers were killed and that they left the civilians alone.

(*blink*) WTF? I responded "What are you talking about? Throughout our history, civilians have died during wars. The conquering army never hesitated to rape and pillage the village women and children and then either carting them off or killing them.......Where would you get the idea that civilians weren't murdered during wars of the past?"

Needless to say, I never got an answer to that one either. He also started lambasting the Jews (what a big surprise) and whining that they had more Rights in Middle Eastern countries than what the Witnesses did. I said "So what if they do? After what happened to them during the Holocaust, they have every right to stand up for themselves." He said "Oh, so because of that they get all the Rights and we don't?"

It was on the tip of my tongue to say "Well Jeff, when you're ready to take up arms and defend yourself against an enemy like Hamas, then you can complain about your "rights in the Middle East", but I didn't. I don't even think he knows who the hell Hamas is.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"well, when have things ever been this bad before?"

Things were bad during the dark ages, the black plague days. Things were bad in the last depression/recession. Things were bad when Africans were being crammed into ships' hulls to become slaves in America.

It is truly amazing that they have no answers. Just sad that they don't see that they have no answers. He'll go and say how he clearly "won" the argument, but Mary is just blinded by Satan.

• moshe
    moshe

Mary, they don't get far unless they find some common ground at the door, do they? Good job!

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Good job Mary. I hope I'm as collected as you if they ever show up.

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

He also started lambasting the Jews (what a big surprise) and whining that they had more Rights in Middle Eastern countries than what the Witnesses did. I said "So what if they do? After what happened to them during the Holocaust, they have every right to stand up for themselves." He said "Oh, so because of that they get all the Rights and we don't?" (i.e., "We demand the right to be supercilious in foreign countries.'')

Oh how it pains me when JWs start carrying on about not having as many rights as other religious groups. Especially since the most important right, freedom of religion, is not granted to their own members.

I really hated the hypocrisy of the whole situation, which is why I left.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

However, he tried saying that in the wars of yesteryear, that only the soldiers were killed and that they left the civilians alone.

Hmmm, I guess he never read a book called THE BIBLE!!!! Didn't the Hebrews slaughter soldiers and civilians, even animals and children? Didn't the Egyptians, Assyrians, Syrians, Babylonians, Greeks, and Romans also slaughter civilians?

Genocide isn't an invention of the 20th century. Even in Israel and Judah, God looked favorably on slaughtering the entire family of deposed rulers, including King Saul.

B the X

• oldflame
    oldflame

Way to go chick, your one heck of a woman and person to stand up to their crap eating lies. You are my inspiration and my sunshine. Thank you for that !

Your friend,

Oldflame (Merrill)

• marjoe
    marjoe

I said "um....I'm pretty sure that the world was in a lot worse shape during the Great Depression when they had 25% unemployed, and then on the heals of that came the Holocaust."

Not to mention all the progress that has been made in the area of racial and gender equality. But then again, they've never really been big believers in that.

Throughout history there have been MANY worse times. Too many to list, in every conceivable category, from every conceivable measurement.

This book is very accessible and details how nearly every generation taught it was the "end times": A History of the End of the World: How the Most Controversial Book in the Bible Changed the Course of Western Civilization (hyper linked to amazon)

Great exchange with someone who has bought the story that the JWs are special and possess special knowledge.

• Vinny
    Vinny

"Blondie, Mary's too pretty to df. And too smart. !!! Not only smart, pretty,kind,loveable."

**** Must be some other Mary.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Mary..Thats the best Thread/Post I have read in a while!!............................Vinny..I`ve seen pic`s of Mary..She`s a Knock Out!.....If you can`t recognize a beautiful,smart lady..You`ll never find one.......................LOL!!...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit