Earthly resurrection for those dying between 33CE and 1935CE?

by Mickey mouse 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Please help me out with this. In V's latest video, he quotes from the 2/12 1982 Watchtower which states on page 30:

For 19 centuries there was only the one calling, the heavenly one, with Jehovah being very selective as to who would serve with his Son to make up the Kingdom government. Many would be invited but only a precious few chosen.

In effect, WT doctrine states that between 33CE and 1935CE, if you didn't get a heavenly resurrection, there's no hope of an earthly one?

I know I should know this stuff but I guess cognitive dissonance forces it to the back of the mind.

Can anyone give me some further quotes from the literature which reinforce this nonsensical position?

• blondie
    blondie

I think what the WTS teaches is that Christians were only called to heaven during that time period (33-1935). After the number 144,000 was filled, then Christians were called to everlasting life/resurrection on earth. People who were not called to be Christians in heaven between 33 and 1935 would be eligible for a resurrection to earth.

Actually, there was a time that the WTS taught that non-jws who died between 1914 and Armageddon, went to Gehenna, eternal destruction.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    Actually, there was a time that the WTS taught that non-jws who died between 1914 and Armageddon, went to Gehenna, eternal destruction.

WTF??!!

Thanks for that Blondie.

I'm having one of those "I can't believe I ever believed this ****" days!

• still_in74
    still_in74

Yes, there was only the one call - the heavenly call "and only a precious few were selected"

at 100,000 over 19 centuires that is 53 annointed per year on average since jesus death over the entire planet.

How many christians died at the colliseum? How many christians are buried in catacombs? how many christians were burned alive?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_martyrs

Modern Christian martyrdom statistics
    Modern statistics of total Christian martyrs are estimated to total around 70 Million [5] . Claims that the current average number of Christian martyrs per year are 176,000 [6] appear to have been calculated by multiplying the current number of Christians worldwide (2,231,421,000 [6] ) by the average global murder rate of 7.6 homicides per 100,000 people, indicating that some studies count all Christians who have died prematurely as martyrs, regardless of the circumstances of their death

so obviously not every single christian ever murdered was a martyr, but lets say 10% of them were.... heck! lets say 1% of them were!!! Thats 700,000!!!!!!

But only 100,000 of those MAY have been holy enough to be an anointed Jehovahs Witness. The rest will suffer everlasting death because even though they DIED for their faith in Christ they were not righteious enough to be of the 144k - yet Peter disowned Jesus and he is annointed!!!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_martyrs - almost none of these people are of the annointed even though they died for their faith

• V
    V

Yes, totally true. Next time you hear A JW say "won't it be great to meet <insert historical person from the first 19 centuries AD> in the resurrection, you can stop and say, nope!

One of my favourite points to bring up in JW discussions on that subject. Most JWs never make the connection.

Since Jehovah limits the number to 144,000 during this span of time, the billions worldwide who lived from 33 AD to the 19th century will have no hope, earthly heavenly or otherwise. At least that's what JWs teach.

See the video in reference here: http://vimeo.com/3934623

• space cow boy
    space cow boy

Well hold your horses, only those who sin against God's holy spirit or have been distroyed by Jehovah (judged) would meet their end in Gehenna. I'm sure the scriptures teach that the wages sin pays is death?!?! Common to all mankind. Or has someone scampered of with that basic truth?

You die, you either go to 1 of 2 places (1) beging the common grave :- Hades or (2) everlasting destruction :- Gehenna.

There is hope of a resurrection from Hades, heavenly or maybe earthly. There is no hope in Gehenna.

I have seen nothing that implies that all professed christians since the time of christ would be without a resurrection hope. If they are not of the annointed, they havn't commited an unforgivable sin against the spirit, then they are asleep in death awaiting a resurrection righteous or otherwise to earth. V, I belive you to be totally false on your charge that JWs teach otherwise. Do I need to get my spurs on?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have to disagree with "V's" interpretation of the WT article..In fact, the belief is that Sheol will open up and release all the "unrighteous dead" who either lived prior to the start of the heavenly call in 33 CE, or failed to make the calling if they lived afterwards. The loss of salvation only means that they have no assured future.

The grey areas are those individuals who were exposed to the "truth" either in the first century or late nineteenth century onward. If they had only a smattering of knowledge, would God consider them sufficiently knowledgable to have made up their mind against it ? If so they go to Gehenna. If not and they died in total or partial ignorance, then they are in line for a resurrection.....As for the present and recent deceased , I think the general view is still that they mainly had their chance to listen, and blew it if they did not accept the message..

I am sure I could find references to this if I had a little time

• V
    V

"For 19 centuries there was only the one calling, the heavenly one." -WT 2/15/1982 page 30, par. 14

Smack down.

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah, but the teaching is, and has been for quite some time, that everyone who died "not Christian", i.e., everyone who wasn't part of that "one calling" from 33 - 1935, gets an earthly resurrection.

I.e., there was indeed only one calling, but everybody else in "Sheol" has paid for their sins with their death and thus gets a 2nd chance in an earhtly resurrection because they didn't get the chance to "know Jehovah".

• V
    V

This reaction is interesting. I see it all the time in active JWs. They have an "impression" of what they believe, often contradicted by specific quotes in the WT, yet they continue on in their personal fantasy.

The concept of Gehenna and permanent death is applicable only to the period before Jesus death, and beginning in the 20th century and beyond. Prove me wrong.

From 33 AD to 1914 the only hope was heavenly. Period.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit