Congregation Bible Study Comments - Week Commencing 30 March 2009

by LUKEWARM 12 Replies latest jw friends

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

*** lv chap. 3 pp. 28-32 Love Those Whom God Loves ***

LEARNING FROM A BIBLE EXAMPLEQ8. What impresses you about the relationship between (a) Naomi and Ruth? (b) the three young Hebrews? (c) Paul and Timothy?8 The Scriptures contain many examples of those who benefited as a result of choosing wholesome associates. You can read about the relationship between Naomi and her daughter-in-law Ruth, between the three young Hebrews who stuck together in Babylon, and between Paul and Timothy. (Ruth 1:16; Daniel 3:17, 18; 1 Corinthians 4:17; Philippians 2:20-22) Let us, though, focus on another outstanding example: the friendship between David and Jonathan.

Wonder how many will take the time to read these accounts in their Bible and put their hand up to answer the question for this paragraph?

Q9, 10. What was the basis of the friendship between David and Jonathan?9 The Bible says that after David slew Goliath, "Jonathan's very soul became bound up with the soul of David, and Jonathan began to love him as his own soul." (1 Samuel 18:1) Thus began an unbreakable friendship that despite a significant age difference, persisted until Jonathan's death on the battlefield. (2 Samuel 1:26) What was the basis of the strong bond forged between these two friends?

10 David and Jonathan were bound together by their love for God and their strong desire to remain faithful to him. These two men shared a spiritual bond. Each displayed qualities that endeared him to the other. Jonathan no doubt was impressed with the courage and zeal of the young man who fearlessly defended Jehovah's name. David undoubtedly respected the older man who loyally supported Jehovah's arrangements and unselfishly put David's interests ahead of his own. Consider, for example, what happened when David was at a low point in his life, living as a fugitive in the wilderness to escape the wrath of wicked King Saul, Jonathan's father. In a remarkable demonstration of loyalty, Jonathan took the initiative and "went to David . . . that he might strengthen his hand in regard to God." (1 Samuel 23:16) Imagine how David must have felt when his dear friend came and offered him support and encouragement!

What will go through the mind of the JW listening to these expressions?Love for GodRemain FaithfulSpiritual BondCourageZealFearlessly defended Jah's nameLoyally supported Jah's arrangementQ11. What do you learn about friendship from the example of Jonathan and David?11 What do we learn from the example of Jonathan and David? Above all, we see that the most important thing for friends to have in common is spiritual values. When we draw close to those who share our beliefs, our moral values, and our desire to remain faithful to God, there can be an interchange of thoughts, feelings, and experiences that encourage and upbuild us. (Romans 1:11, 12) We find such spiritually-minded associates among fellow worshippers. Does this mean, though, that everyone who comes to meetings at the Kingdom Hall is a good associate? No, not necessarily.

Notice the CONTROL here - strong discouragement from forming friendships outside the religion: "...most important thing for friends to have in common is spiritual values... draw close to those who share our beliefs..."The outcome of this is that the JW no longer views people as persons but now labels them as either brother/sister or 'worldly'. Whilst this mindset will make the JW feel superior to worldly people, the reality is social isolation and the development of an emotional wall between the JW and those of a different religion. Once this is established, it fosters an ideal environment for the WTS to control the individual and their thinking. After many years of viewing people of 'the world' as ones who were about to be killed off and only feeling affection for the brothers and sisters, it can be very difficult to learn to make and develop friendships based on common interests and character, not just because they share the same religion.CHOOSING OUR CLOSE ASSOCIATESQ12, 13. (a) Why must we be selective in choosing associates even from among fellow Christians? (b) What challenge did first-century congregations face, prompting Paul to give what strong warnings?12 Even within the congregation, we must be selective if our associates are to be spiritually up building. Should this surprise us? Not really. Some Christians in the congregation may take longer to reach spiritual maturity, even as some fruit on a tree may take longer to ripen. Thus, in any given congregation, we find Christians who are at different levels of spiritual growth. (Hebrews 5:12-6:3) Of course, we show patience and love to newer or weaker ones, for we want to help them to grow spiritually.-Romans 14:1; 15:1.

Further labelling some as "newer or weaker ones" and others as jet "to reach spiritual maturity" will make judging one another much more efficient. Where is the love Jesus spoke about?"Show patience and love to newer or weaker ones" is really designed to discourage JW's from associating with those who are considered "weak" in the faith - those who can't or don't attend all the meetings each week and who get less than 8 hours going out in 'service' every month.13 Occasionally, there may be a situation in the congregation that calls for us to watch our association. Some individuals might engage in questionable conduct. Others may develop a bitter or complaining spirit. Congregations in the first century C.E. faced a similar challenge. While most members were faithful, some individuals did not conduct themselves aright. Because some in the congregation in Corinth did not uphold certain Christian teachings, the apostle Paul warned the congregation: "Do not be misled. Bad associations spoil useful habits." (1 Corinthians 15:12, 33) Paul cautioned Timothy that even among fellow Christians, there might be some who do not act honourably. Timothy was told to keep clear of such ones, not making them his close associates.-2 Timothy 2:20-22.

Why not expand on what they mean with the expression "questionable conduct"?Are JW's meant to be silent, compliant brain-dead robots, 'YES' people - what are the alternative views and more importantly, why not address what issues people are bitter/ complaining about?Which "Christian teachings" did first century Christians not uphold and are these issues the same today - if not what are the issues?They use these vague statements to keep JW's in suspicion of each other, to guilt and make them feel afraid to associate with anyone who refuses to be brainwashed or moulded to the organizationally programmed treadmill of prescribed worship and interpreted "theocratic law".Q14. How can we apply the principle behind Paul's warnings about associations?14 How can we apply the principle behind Paul's warnings? By avoiding close association with anyone-inside or outside the congregation-who could be a corrupting influence. (2 Thessalonians 3:6, 7, 14) We must protect our spirituality. Remember that like a sponge, we absorb the attitudes and ways of our close friends. Just as we cannot submerge a sponge in vinegar and expect it to fill with water, so we cannot associate with those who exert a negative influence and expect to absorb what is positive.-1 Corinthians 5:6.

"By avoiding close association with anyone...who could be a corrupting influence", the hierarchy is promoting an 'us' verse 'them' attitude - a superiority and labelling of persons who are on the fringes or don't have any 'privileges' within the congregation.Unity is paramount and enforced at the expense of the individual's choice and Christian conscience.Q15. What can you do to find spiritually-minded friends in the congregation?15 Thankfully, the potential for finding wholesome associates among fellow worshippers is great indeed. (Psalm 133:1) How can you find spiritually-minded friends in the congregation? As you cultivate godly qualities and ways, no doubt others of like mind will be drawn to you. At the same time, you may need to take some practical steps to reach out and make new friends. (See the box "How We Made Good Friends," on page 30.) Look for those who display the qualities you want to reflect. Heed the Bible's counsel to "widen out," seeking out friendships with fellow believers regardless of race, nationality, or culture. (2 Corinthians 6:13; 1 Peter 2:17) Do not limit yourself to those of your own age group. Remember that Jonathan was much older than David. Many older ones can bring to friendship a rich supply of experience and wisdom.

BOX - HOW WE MADE GOOD FRIENDS

? "At first, I found it difficult to make friends in the congregation. But I discovered that having an active share in the ministry helped me to develop such qualities as patience, endurance, and self-sacrificing love. As I continue to develop these qualities, I find that like-minded people are attracted to me, and I now have some good friends."-Shivani.

? "I prayed that I could find friends inside the congregation. But for a long time, I felt that my prayers were not being answered. I eventually realized that I wasn't really doing anything to make friends. I wasn't taking the initiative. Since I began acting in harmony with my prayers, however, I definitely feel that Jehovah has answered them."-Ryan.

To have "spiritually-minded friends" requires one to have "active share in the ministry" Why the obsession with the ministry and other ACTIVITY, namely: "I wasn't really doing anything" "I wasn't taking the initiative" "Acting in harmony with my prayers" Motivation based upon love and devotion means little to Brooklyn - its all about the WORKS

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Acting in harmony with your prayers? You mean, doing the work yourself and then giving God the credit?

The only truly bad associations are those who try to force you to believe something they themselves know is wrong. Obviously, every single member of the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger class fit that category. Also, many within the congregation take the role of enforcing every single rule as if it were a matter of life and death, starting mini cults within the organization, or singling out people to assignments that they know are not good fits. Such ones are definitely bad associations.

But, those who are more permissive are not bad. Nor are those who get little or no field circus. Usually, they do the amount where the marginal cost just equals the marginal benefit--and if that happens to be zero, they do zero. The ones that are not stumbled if you watch a "bad" movie or listen to a "bad" song are the ones that have a more balanced viewpoint.

Also, independent thinkers will not need everyone around them thinking alike. They will not think apostate thoughts merely because someone else is (unless there is a good reason, like the religion itself is so full of holes that it becomes blatantly obvious). Likewise, I can think well enough that I am not going to be thrown by a few witlesses or hard-core theists into becoming likewise, unless the benefit of doing so exceeds the cost.

• whereami
    whereami

Good job LUKEWARM. Great points.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Is this book "Keep Yourselves in God's Love"?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

In para. 9-11, there is no Scriptural backing cited for many of their statements. The word "friend", "friends", and "friendship", don't appear in the Babble describing the relationship between David and Jonathan. They were lovers.

(1 Samuel 20:17) 17 So Jon´a·than swore again to David because of his love for him; for as he loved his own soul he loved him.

(1 Samuel 20:41) 41 The attendant went. As for David, he rose up from nearby to the south. Then he fell on his face to the earth and bowed three times; and they began kissing each other and weeping for each other, until David had done it the most.

(2 Samuel 1:26) 26 I am distressed over you, my brother Jon´a·than, Very pleasant you were to me. More wonderful was your love to me than the love from women.

Yeah, something funny going on there.

B the X

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Good observations Wizard!

Bonnie, yes, this is the "Keep Yourselves in God's Love" book. Recently the hierarchy stated that all new ones need to study this as their second book after "What does the Bible really teach".

Thanks for your comments Billie - The scriptures cited in paragraphs 12-14 have also been taken out of context and portrayed to say something they really are NOT saying.

Lukewarm

• reniaa
    reniaa

Truly the weirdest part of this forum is this need to have alternate watchtower studies weekly. Why?

It's like you are still witnesses and just cannot let go?

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Hi reniaa,

This is the old book study. Yes, the shock of coming to know the "truth" about the "truth" can be a little overwhelming.

Posting here is part of a healing process which eventually leads to "letting go". In the meantime, just as we have benefited from the posters here, some use this platform to help others discern the issues.

It's hard seeing our loved ones trapped in the religion like we once were and thinking it's the TRUTH.

Lukewarm

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Lukewarm,

One of my favorite parts of this forum is the studious consideration of the Botchtower litteratrash. Why? Check out where we are... Is this poultryrecipes.com? Is this flyfishing.net? Is it hemorroidcreamsthatwork.org? Nope, the tag on the home page is "Jehovahs Witness Discussion Forum". People come here for help, not with cooking chicken, or butt itching issues, or even to talk about fishing for flies. Okay, those topics may sometimes come up around here, which is cool, but really, this is about discussing JW issues. And what better issues are there to discuss than things like the Congregation ?Bible? Study.

One of the weirdest parts of this forum are comments discouraging consideration of Jehovah's Witness material. What's up with that?

Lukewarm, it's great having you here!

B the X

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Thank you. I appreciate the info, it keeps me aware of the hogwash that is filling my loved ones heads.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit