As a JW youth, were you rejected by your peers and left out of social activities?

by truthseeker 21 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I'd be interested to know your experiences if this applies to you.

I was in touch with an old friend and we got to talking about why it is that JWs don't reach out to their inactive friends.

This friend commented that "The reason why no one has reached out to you is because most JWs are required to display friendship, not because they like you but because they are told to."

In my old congregation, there were many "young ones"; dubs between the ages of 15 and 29. A couple of them showed interest in me but it never lasted, usually because others in the congregation would, in so many words, tell them I was bad association.

I did not fit in with the congregation I grew up in - and my peers let me know that. They ignored me as often as they could at the Kingdom Hall. Sometimes they would walk past me, other times they would give me a begrudging hello.

I only got to hear about their social life from other members of the congregation.

One brother who didn't like me at all, I made an effort with. He went abroad for a vacation and when he came back I took the iniative and phoned him and asked about his trip. He was pleasant enough, but nothing ever came of it.

There was one sister in particular who liked to have parties at her home and invite the younger set and the slighter older crowd. I was the only young JW not invited.

I remember one time after the meeting, one of my very few friends asked me what my plans were for that evening. I said I didn't have any at the moment. We went our separate ways but a few minutes later, when I went to suggest doing something, my friend was standing chatting with this sister who was organizing a party and suddenly told me they were busy that evening. I later found out that my friend had been invited to this sister's party but I wasn't.

Yet, this same sister had no problem asking me to cat sit for her or fix her computer, I just wasn't good enough to hang out with.

The second time she had a party, I managed to get myself invited - all the JW youths from my hall and others were there. It pissed me off that this had been going on for years, yet I was never allowed to be a part of that, all the while being told from the platform that "bad associations spoil useful habits"

I went to this sister's wedding not long after and I was invited back to her house for a small reception party. While I was in her back garden, I was chatting to some young people from another congregation when one of the brothers in my hall who was there asked me to get him another glass of wine.

As I was about to do this for him, his friend (a sister from another hall) interrupted him and said, "that's not nice what you're doing - why are you trying to get rid of him?" - I suddenly realized what he was doing, he was trying to get me out of his little clique, but his friend wised up to his tactics and felt bad for me - and I didn't even know her. Perhaps he felt theatened by me.

He and another friend would arrange most of the social life in the hall during the late 90s. I would only hear about their fun weeks after it happened.

Another example of being shunned by my peers is during one sister's annual BBQ. My family were always invited to this, including me, even after I left home, but none of my peers wanted anything to do with me. Once the niceties had worn off they went back to their own little cliques and I just sat by myself, wishing I could be one of them instead of an observer.

It was a lonely life for all my teen years and early 20s - perhaps you're thinking that I must have been the most awkward, difficult guy in the world to get along with - in fact, I was just the opposite - I treated everyone the same, I was a regular guy who had a miserable home life and was equally miserable in the congregation - a few friends could have been enough to prevent me from asking too many questions about the organization and looking outside the religion for answers - and here I am today, completely inactive and happy with my choice.

I recently visited my home town and for the first time ever, I never saw or looked up any members of my old hall. It felt weird. I had been away for so long and was now inactive and I felt as if someone else had lived that life I used to have at my old congregation.

I became inactive almost a year ago - in my old hall I made a couple of friends, one moved away the other is still there. He wasn't very regular but I would call him from time to time if I didn't see him there and we hung out occasionally.

I have never heard from him since - it's weird - you think you get to know someone and then when you leave the org it's like all that history counts for nothing.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Well, it's been a long time for me since I was a youth. But I think I had somewhat of a unique experience in this regard. At the congregation that I went to between the ages of 10-15 there was probably about 10 kids that were right around my age. There was no "in" group or clique. All of the kids in my congregation socialized with their school friends. We mostly went to different schoolsl. Even the few that went to the same schools had different groups that they hung out with at school. I had been raised "in the truth" since birth. So I was a firm believer that this was the true religion and Armageddon was going to come in 1975. It was in talking to some of the kids at the KH that I first began to realize that this stuff was all a crock of sh--. Except for one girl, they were all there because their parents were making them be there. The only one that continued on in her life as a JW past the age of 18 is still a devoted JW.

So, no, there were no JW youth social activities at my KH. They were mostly all young apostates!

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Georgia,

That's an interesting story. Most of the JW youth in my old hall left the org in a very short space of time. Very few are still in. I think the majority of them still believed it was the truth, but for some the rigid lifestyle is not for them.

They'd rather party that go out in a suit at the weekend and place magazines.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Georgia,

That's an interesting story. Most of the JW youth in my old hall left the org in a very short space of time. Very few are still in. I think the majority of them still believed it was the truth, but for some the rigid lifestyle is not for them.

They'd rather party that go out in a suit at the weekend and place magazines.

• noni1974
    noni1974

I was always the outcast in my hall. I had one real good friend as a teenager. I had a few before I was a teenager but they drifted away and I was left with one best friend. She and I were always together as teenagers. She was friends with the other teens our age but they didn't like me. She tells me that those kids would try to pressure her to drop me as a friend. They told her I was bad association and wild. It was because I spoke my mind. I was honest to the point of painful honesty. They didn't like that I could see right through them. Plus I was part of a huge multi generation JW family that at one point ran the KH. I had uncles and a grandfather who were elders and they didn't like them. My family had a reputation.

I had another friend after I was a teenager in my early 20's that I'm still close with. I made contact with my teenage best friend last year. We had lost contact because she got married and her husband didn't like me so he made her stop talking to me. It was 12 years since we were best friends. So my 2 closest friends as a JW are still in my life. I did have another friend who was a JW but I broke off that relationship a couple of years ago when I found her to be too judemental and over bearing for me to have in my life anymore. That friend used to be my little sisters best friend. It burned my sisters ass that her former best friend stopped being friends with her and started hanging out with me.

I'm lucky because my 2 closest friends as a JW are now both out and in my life.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Same for me.

These stories tend to sound like normal kid behaviors--cliques and such. The kids I went to school with were the same as the ones in the kh.

More possibility of finding friends in school simply because the supply of potential friends was bigger, not because there was a higher % of nicer people.

If they were Jehoopla's Very Special People, they'd be more loving.....easy to distinguish from everyone else.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

TruthSeeker:

That was a great post; I myself could have written it. You summed up alot of feelings that I myself have felt an observed. At least you got to 1 or 2 parties and were invited to an annual BBQ, my family and I were NEVER invited to ANYTHING, EVER!!! I would always here about the Congregation picnics or outings after the fact, and feel absolutely horrible that no one had ever invited me or my family. Summers would be filled with canoe trips, camping, hiking, informal sports, but I was NEVER invited to anything. I have no clue as to why. I honestly think I wasn't "bad" enough for most. I dressed nice, studied, but wasn't all gung-ho. I had really only 1 friend in a Kingdom Hall, and he was a recent worldly convert with his mother. He was the most "normal" non-fake person so we became quick friends. I don't know if he's still a Dub or not, or even if he's baptized. I remember once about 1993-1994 when we had changed congregations. There were a few guys in their early 30's and they would go canoeing and camping, etc. They informally invited me in front of my mother one Saturday while we were out in Field Service. I was excited and could't wait! The next weekend came and I was waiting outside of my house for them to pick me up. They never did. My mother told me a few years later how enraged she was at the whole situation, and seeing me looking so pitiful when I came back in that day after not being picked up. What a bunch of Indian-Givers! No explanation or apology had been given to me later either. I was simply forgotten and then never asked again. I was 14. What a way to encourage the youth and reach out to a single sheep!!

I was a complete loner at the Kingdom Hall. None of the others my age would talk to me. I was not nerdy looking, I was actually handsome if I say so myself! At school, often times they were WORSE then the so-called "worldly" kids, and it absolutely disgusted me. Combine that with seeing them at the Kingdom Hall acting all pious and righteous and I could just about hurl. I pretty much up and faded when I got a life and career at age 17-18. No one from the KH cared. No one missed me. In the past 10 years my entire JW family has died, and they didn't so much as send a card to me, no one!

So what exactly am I to look back on and miss? "Brotherly Christian Love?" Non-existant to me and my family. I wish I could say I had been more socially active with this bunch of self-righteous hypocrites, because then maybe I'd miss something about them. But the truth is I don't, at least not anyone my own age. There were some older ones that were nice, but again it was conditional upon you filling a seat at the meeting. None of them have inquired about me or visited my house either. I've even been to the Kingdom Hall 2-3 times a year, and still no one seems to give a damn. It's like I am invisable. It really makes me wonder, "What is wrong with these people?" No wonder I never could muster up the motivation to get baptized. For what? To be officially ignored?

Speaking of ones my age, how many are still Witnesses?? Good question. I'd say 2 out of every 10 are still there. I am 29, so that's a huge chunck of loss for the WT. As far as I can see, they've created their own problems with anti-social isolationism and extremely controling behaviour. How many people want to stick around and be told how to dress, act, feel, think, wear a name badge, what to drive, whom to talk to, etc, etc? It's excruciatingly mind-numbing and exhausting.

- Wing Commander

• undercover
    undercover

I've been on both sides of the fence on this one.

When I was pre-teen up to 19 or so, I felt like an outsider...at school and at the hall. I couldn't make friends at school, "worldly" and all that. The cliques of JWs in the area didn't include me. Even my "best" friend was purposely leaving me out of invites to parties and such.

I wasn't bad association, in fact I was considered the opposite. I wasn't included because they thought I was too straight. It was like I was a narc or something. So if the young people were looking to get together and it wasn't going to be a review of the Watchtower lesson, I didn't know about it until after the fact. It wasn't that I was that square (I wasn't - I was just better at hiding my tracks than they were), but because I was the quiet one, they weren't sure about me so instead of taking a chance, they avoided me.

After high school though, I eventually started hanging out with a newer group of people. Some had moved in from out of town, others had changed congregations, some were willing to drive from longer distances now that we had freedom in our vehicles. We ended up in our own little clique, though I didn't realize it at first. We became just like the group that avoided me. We knew to avoid people who might rat on some of our activities, so if they seemed too "straight" we made sure to not include them. After awhile though, I realized that we had become what I had not liked about my supposed "friends" growing up. The group eventually went different ways as we got married or moved away.

I think the make-up of the congregations creates these scenerios. First off, you have a strict set of standards you have to adhere to. Most of which no one really does, though each of us thought we were alone in not obeying. When we found others of like mind, we tended to protect ourselves. Second, if you observed wrongdoing, you were supposed to report it. So, if you thought someone might report you, you avoided them. Likewise, if someone was more obedient and sensed that others were a little more loose with their behavior, they avoided them.

In reality, you end up with a bunch of people thrown together who don't become real friends but are more like acquaintances with a common background who deep down inside are afraid of each other and worry how they can get you in trouble.

• blondie
    blondie

In my case, my father was not a jw....the kiss of death for a jw social life.

• yknot
    yknot

Publically at the KH ....yes, but it was at the direction of PO.

Everywhere else................no.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit