What do you believe is the main reason people become JWS ?

by Homerovah the Almighty 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Just thinking back on my own family that started with the JWS in the early 50's,

both of my parents came from different religious backgrounds one was Catholic and the other a Anglican.

What probably sparked my mother's attention, who was the first to be in contact with a JWS,

was of course the destruction of the system of things and a new Paradise for those that god approved.

And I'm guessing that this what catches most peoples attention just as it did to my mother.

I'm also assuming that this is most likely what grabs other people as well.......any comments ?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

The prospect of a panacea for all their problems.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Except for the obvious, that is, born-ins who never really 'chose' the org. you have an infinite number of reasons. A few:

1. Lonely people who were drawn into the org by the promise of a big loving family.

2. people who wanted to choose their religion rather than go along with their birth religion. Lots of Cat Licks.

3. For a time, their was a great influx of "hippies" who were drawn to the oddball, outsider aspect of JWs.

4. People who had 'hit bottom' with drugs, alcohol, promiscuity, etc. who were ready for the discipline and support of the JWs (or any other high control religion)

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Instant friends, the resurrection and the paradise.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I think its worthy to mention also that people are willing to give up their inner responsibilities to a faith

and let the faith become the responsibility or their social guidance.

And as for the that there is certainly an abundance of behavior guidelines that must be followed.

The notion of being certifiably righteous then takes a position into the personalties of the followers.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Thats a good point Shopaholic, there are some who might be attracted to the forwardness of the JWS

coming to their door and such and of course the friendly smiles at the hall, instant social connection.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

My father says it was because he couldn't understand the Bible until the WT explained it to him correctly. "Then it all made perfect sense!"

He still hasn't clicked that, because many of the explanations he accepted back in 1939 the WT now says are incorrect, he had based his descision to join on incorrect explanations of the Bible that didn't make perfect sense at all.

I have tried to point that out, but I might as well be talking to a bowl of Jello.

Cheers

Chris

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

For my mom, it's her own only source of credibilty. For me, it was to fit into my family.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

False promises. They promise to fix your problems if you join, upon which they add to it and exploit it.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

4. People who had 'hit bottom' with drugs, alcohol, promiscuity, etc. who were ready for the discipline and support of the JWs

That was me.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit