who has been even kinda wealthy....then poor?...

by oompa 22 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

i know it is happening a bunch in the USA....and ya...Jesus said the poor will aways be with us.....but is it true that the rich are no happier than the poor?......is there a middle ground where happy flourishes? I am not poor by any means, but my income is about to change BIGTIME! and i am just not lookin forward to it.........oompa

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I can show you the ropes, Oompa.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Money doesn't equal happiness, but it will probably buy SOMETHING that will put a smile on your face.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Oompa..You have to look for new opportunities..It`s the only way to stay on top..Your into real estate..Start looking at more expensive fixer uppers..That stuff always sells..You need to find clientel with money..

Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I was a lot happier when I had a couple grand a week in dispostable income. Much happier than now, now my total income per MONTH isn't even what my play money was per WEEK a few years back...

However I'll be out of school in August and I've got a tenative job offer for about 75k a year and that will start me back to where I was! Yay!!!

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Oh and every study I've ever seen about happiness/wealth says that wealthy people are by and large happier... As forest gump says, one less thing!

Oh and outlaw nobody is making money in real estate right now even the rich... It's a good time to buy up rentals if you have a lot of capital lying around though but don't plan on renting them out for a year... Rental rates are down 15% in jacksonville and it's the upper tiers that are sitting empty... A friend of mine just sold his 230k house for 140k after having it on the market for almost a year. He thinks that the only reason its going now is thanks to the 8k tax credit.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Me!

Outaservice

• Satanus
    Satanus

I was. When i was a jw, was doing pretty well, even bought a brand new vehicle. But, my life then was mostly based on credit. When i left the jws, all my jw work connections dried up and it all crashed, and i ended up doing a bankruptcy. It took a while to get back up, again, although i haven't bothered much w credit.

S

• Ri
    Ri

If you were born poor, you never notice, especially if you have a close nett family....it's beans and rice all week except on Sunday...a special day to have meat...my Mom and Dad were good cooks and so our meals tasted good anyway. Sometimes we had oatmeal for breakfast or toast with margarine. It was kinda embarrassing going to school with holes in my shoe. The teacher's never paid any attention to me cause I wasn't in their upper class society. Well that was the norm....so it didn't bother me. Some kids were worse off.

Later on in life with hard work I made it to the upper middle class and I can tell tell you...It can help to have money and money CAN make you happy in many ways. Just don't let go of your morals and keep your feet on the ground and remember from where you came.

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Me

Started poor in early 70's

Made a bunch in the 80's

Lost just about everything

in the early 90's

Made it back by avoiding the tech

crash and made a ton

Got back in after the 9-11 dip

and pulled most out at the 14,000

peak. Sold my real estate investments