Can anyone just let go??

by Quirky1 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I've only been a witless for about 7 years or so and left al little over a year ago and I've been coming here since. You would think that after a year it would all be over with but I just cannot get the WT shit outta my head. It's like a plague..

• asilentone
    asilentone

thats why we are here!

• megaflower
    megaflower

Try 20 plus years. There are good days and then the days I would like to beat the sh#t out that cult. Friggin liars, controlling twits.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Unlike conventional religion, cults penetrate a deeper substrate of our mental and emotional being. The all controlling aspects, and time consumption with the rituals, make it far more difficult to walk away without continuing issues.

At least that is my analysis of my self and my reasons for having a hard time letting go. I WANT to, with every fibre of my soul. But, though the time between fixes here is growing, I still need to come around often.

Our WHOLE lives were Jw. It was not just a church like most people attend. Not easy to get it out of your hair.

Jeff

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

you might want to check outthis thread Letting go, does it really ever happen as an X- JW?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Despite all I have been through, I think I have it better then most. I still suffer from depression, anxiety, and it is a direct result of having to leave the cult.

I do believe one should be very proactive in their recovery process, but don't expect that just because you left, a few months later it will be like it never happened. Imo, deal with it! Don't deny to yourself that you were a JW, and what that did to you.

I frequently ask myself about my JW experience "What was it about me that found what they offered attractive in the first place?" That helps me to turn it into a positive, because at least I can identify some personality traits that are less then desireable and have the awareness to deal with it.....

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Quirks,

Similar feelings here. This summer I will have been out for 12 years and it still pisses me off.

I have an insatiably curious mind and one of the things that makes the angriest is that I denied myself an education. While I was in, every time I brought up the subject of going to college, my ex-wife and her parents would give me a ration of shit about it...it is dangerous for your spirituality, you don't need higher education to serve Jehovah, blah, blah, blah....you know the BORG reasoning. There were multiple reasons that I bailed on the BORG, but that was one of the biggies.

When I bailed on the BORG, in 1997, I was 41 and I almost immediately went back to school. It has been a long but incomparably satisfying haul. I got a geolgoy B.S. in 2004, a geology M.S last December, and am finishing the last assignment for a J.D. which I expect to receive in May. While I am extremely happy to where I am now, I am bitter because I have done all this by the time I was 30 instead and a much longer period of my life would have ended up being richly enhanced.

So, no matter how long you're out, once you've been run over by the bus there are lasting impacts that never go away. Everyone has suffered different specific injuries but it still leaves all of us scarred.

Hang in there man.

Alex

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

That is a great question, one I've been asking myself lately. The conclusion I've came to is that I will never be able to' let' go of all that I was taught. It was ingrained in me since I was a young child.

Some of it was bad and lies (UN, college, holidays, etc). Some of it was good(learning to speak publicly, study habits, cleanliness). I now realize that I can let go of the fact that it is not the truth. When I first discovered they were lying, I was devastated. I became obsessed with everytihing JW related. I was so pissed at the WTBS and all they stood for.

While I can't 'let go" of all of my upbringing and past, I feel as if I am 'over it'. "It" being the whole JW thing. I feel so much peace within myself.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I have read it here that there are plenty of ex-JW's, but there are no EX-ex-JW's!

But we can hope...

(seriously, I do believe that with some real healing, we can move on from moving on. But I'm still working on that...)

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

I meant to say: I now realize that I can let go of all my anger. I was internalizing a lot of anger inside because of the WTBS claiming to have the truth and realizing they don't! I'm over the anger and have let it go.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit