Tarot & Rapid Brain Change When Getting Out of JWs

by og 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dogon
    dogon

I had my future done at the bottom of the cup tea room in New Orleans with the cards. It was fun and a good way to see that it along with the carp about it being a demon activity. I no more believe in card reading than I do that there is a space god that had a mouth piece on earth called the governing body. But I think to help debunk the fear that was instilled in dubbers as kids may well help.

• og
    og

Wow, looks like experimenting with taboo and spirituality is a not-too-unusual way to experiment with freedom when one is trying to get out of the borg. I respect people like you, dogon, who have concluded that there's nothing to any of it, but in my case I found that there is some sort of deep divinity that can be danced with.

More generally, I think the JWs, like a lot of religions, inculcate a variety of weird beliefs, like fear of a deck of cards, as a way of keeping members in line: not only by the fear itself, but by the unwillingness to give up the odd belief after going to all the trouble of accepting it—people don't like to give up their odd ideas!

cheers,
    Angus

Belief Systems & Other BS

"Change your beliefs, change your world."

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I did some of the same things. Had my fortune read at a party, hung around with witches, etc. Found it was all silly nonsense, except its ability to get one to think in different ways, see things from another angle.

I gave myself permission to read the Tao Te Ching, and that was a real turning point. I found more practical help for how to live in that slim little book that you can read in an hour, than I did in all of the Bible. I thought to myself that, if there was an all wise god, the Tao Te Ching was the simple book he'd write, not the bloated, confusing Bible.

Yet the TTC doesn't even mention a god or worship or any of that.

Lost a lot of fear at that time.

S4

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Loved your blog entry! Thanks for that.

Love,
    Baba.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Through Wicca, I have found the divinity within myself. I've found it to be a very powerful metaphorical tool to use to understand myself and the world in which I live. Understanding leads to respect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit